Cherry Hill, NJ Convention - July 19 - 22, 2007!!

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Re: Cherry Hill, NJ Convention - July 19 - 22, 2007!!

Postby Elessar » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:02 pm

CX wrote:I'm an ME major too, but though I've been at this for six years, I have no solid graduation date in sight. The maths are killing me. This fall I'm retaking Calc III and Diffy Q for the third time. Sad

Calc III can be a bitch. My 3D exam was like a 68 and brought the rest of my average down, otherwise I might have had an A. But i'm a math major, so ya know, I'm supposed to like it. I actually had a weird resurgence this past year of stuff I'd learned in Diff EQ and Calc III in various classes, both math and non-math... Integration by Parts and geometric integration, multiple integration, and something else... some of those weird things you learn in math that yo never think you'll ever need to use again, yeah, they came back. But admittedly one of the courses was Statistics. What the other was has totally slipped my mind... I can't even really remember what I took last semester... hm...

Oh PDE! We used lots of the stuff you learn in ODE in PDE because often times the goal was to manipulate a PDE into looking like an ODE so that we can use some basic method to solve it... and it made me realize how little I could remember things like integrating factors and um... well, separation of variables is pretty easy to remember. I took Calc I and II in highschool and then III freshman year in college so it was a little different for me -- sometimes easier, sometimes harder -- since they designed the Calc III course to follow THEIR calc I and II. Sometimes I knew more than everybody else becuase something in Calc III we'd have already done in I or II, but often times I knew less because there would be something we didn't cover in our Calc I and II that they did.

Long story short: Calc I and II are a bitch in college, if you're going into the sciences (I don't even know if we have any highschoolers here...) but if you think you might have to take calculus in college... TAKE IT IN HIGHSCHOOL FIRST! The learning environment is 10x more conducive to picking it up.

Ok that's my rant. Did I mention I love QM? It's a math nerd's dream: matrix algebra, complex analysis, tensors, calculus, and functional analysis allllllll wrapped into one discipline. I've often said Quantum Mechanics was my most difficult math class ever Laughing
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:03 pm

boushh wrote:^^ I booed, but then again I'm a Yankee fan. Wink

I don't really have a concrete affiliation, even though I cheer for the Cardinals if I'm anywhere inside the Missouri state lines in order to preserve my livelihood Laughing
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Bether6074
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Bether6074 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:07 pm

I'm one of those who needed points for crossing t's and dotting i's in order to just pass Chemistry and Physics. But baseball...baseball, I know. Rolling Eyes

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:01 pm

Can't take any college classes in HS here, they aren't offered. ITV would've been the perfect thing for it, but apparently all they thought to teach over it was Spanish and art. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, it didn't help that I skipped PreCalc because I passed the placement exam that put me right into Calc I.

Emberchyld
Commander
Commander

Postby Emberchyld » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:38 pm

justTrip'n wrote:Friday night we watched Harbinger, and I remarked that Emberchyld kind of looks like Amanda Cole, except Embercyld has a prettier face.

Razz My little sister and I just watched Harbinger (this was her fist time) and both of us agreed don't look like Cole Laughing But I'm flattered!

But I do have a future TnT addict in the making. I showed her your post, justTrip'n, she noticed your avatar, and she said with a squeal, "They have a BABY!!!!!" Laughing

On baseball, I never really got it... the whole hitting a ball witha bat thing and then running in a circle just never translated to me. Same with football (but I love hockey and soccer (edited because I think of it as the "Real" football) and figure skating). But I just loved how Connor answered even the most off-the wall baseball questions... and then had fun with it, like throwing out baseball terms before some guys could ask questions, like predicting their questions! Very Happy
Last edited by Emberchyld on Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."
--Coco Chanel

Emberchyld's Livejournal: 45% dance, 45% skating, 5% Trying to convince others to watch Enterprise 5% everything else. You've been warned

y2kelly
Ensign
Ensign
Show On Map: No

Postby y2kelly » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:47 pm

Does anyone know if video of CT at Cherry Hill is posted anywhere?

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:26 pm

i have video i just haven't posted it yet. Sorry, it's on my laptop, will soon Wink
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Return to “Conventions”