The Big Averill Park 2009 Convention

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

The Big Averill Park 2009 Convention

Postby Alelou » Sat May 30, 2009 4:35 pm

It's the big con! JustTrip'n, Bether, and Alelou. And we have exactly one photo of all three of us that one of us isn't vetoing!

And we went sightseeing. It would be nice to include a picture of us along with the Barberville Falls, but not a single photo of any two of us was not veto-proof!!! It's a good thing we're not trying to make a living as professional models. Maybe when JT gets home she can get something off her phone that we will all agree to.

So here are the falls with some JustTrip'n hair...

OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Re: The Big Averill Park 2009 Convention

Postby panyasan » Sat May 30, 2009 5:24 pm

It looks like you had a very good time. :D The pic is very nice.
The con sure sounds great to me. I can't remember a con in Europe, so we poor Europeans have to live without any cons. 8)
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun May 31, 2009 3:06 am

jT needs to give me that shirt...
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:29 am

I have scads of shirts like that. You get some iron-on transfer paper and a T-shirt and have at it. You could use some of the images we have in the fan art section, and Elessar has a few as well. Unfortunately the shirts really don't hold up too well to machine washing.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:25 am

Thanks for posting that - it's great to see you lovely ladies!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:03 pm

Aikiweezie wrote:Thanks for posting that - it's great to see you lovely ladies!

Thanks. We had a great time.
Image.Image

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:03 pm

Very cool to see you three together! :thumbsup: :wave: I hope more of us can get to cons together soon! 8)
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Yes, we are lovely, (each of us in about one picture out of four). I'm afraid I don't have any pictures of the group that someone wouldn't veto. I could make a great collage. lol . . . As Bether says, It sucks to get old. I really do wish I could see you again, Linda. And I'm sure Aquarius would be a lively addition to any con! I would love to meet you!

Distracted, if that was your work with the shirt, thanks!!!! If it was Elessar, thanks!! I was negligent in figuring that out and giving credit. Alelou, am I allowed to repeat what your husband said about the shirt???? LOL . . . oh dear . . .

So, once again my "imaginary friends" (as my husband sometime calls them when he's in a bad mood) turn out to be REAL! And they have real families too!

I think it's safe to report that Alelou's son, "A," is a wonderful boy and fellow Trekkie. He and his friend accompanied us to the movie and then they SAT WITH US at lunch. Voluntarily!!! And they argued about whether the movie was a 9 or a 10. I think A's friend said he would have given it a perfect score if only there was "more action." (Seems there were a few boring moments during that mindmeld, lol . . .) And "A" can do impressions of the actors in that movie, quoting their lines!!! Very impressive.

Bether has described her family to a "T." It is true that her youngest daughter is as sweet as can be and never stops talking. I came home with a purse full of valentines she made and one Pokemon figure. (She was willing to give me more, but I didn't want to be greedy.) Didn't get to meet the teenagers (I know how that goes). Me, Bether, and her husband watched some Firefly. Bether is still not convinced it is a GREAT series. (It is. Keep watching).

Bether and Alelou live in what looks like a resort location. There are two lakes and that amazing waterfall.

This whole "con" came about because I had a funeral to go to in a little town two hours from Avrill Park. So future spontaneous cons are possible. You know where I live!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:41 pm

Awww, you only saw a couple of the lakes. There are more! It is like a resort around here, in a very workaday, undiscovered kind of way. I still can't believe how few people know about that waterfall.

I can't remember exactly what Jaime said about your shirt, but feel free to share. He's definitely not an Enterprise fan, though he watched TNG with me. JT was surprised to hear he's never read any of my stories. He just doesn't read fiction, not even any of my non-ST work. Not published fiction either, so at least I don't feel personally ignored. (I'm curious -- how many people here can say their spouses read their stuff?) Sometimes that makes me feel a little lonely, but on the whole I think I'm glad I have my own little private world to escape into while he watches the Mets or Knicks or Giants or boxing or whatever.

And yeah, Bether, you should stick with Firefly. It's fun. Not quite as addictive as ST if only because we only had a year of it, but definitely compelling.
Image.Image

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:53 pm

Oh dear . . . I should preface this by saying Alelou's husband was handsome and charming and seemed to be a Trekkie. So we were talking about he Original Series and laughing about William Shatner or something and then her husband goes, "So what is the name of that series?" and sort of nods at me. And I go, "What series?" totally confused. And he goes, "The one your shirt." :shock:

:lol:

Well, your husband did a HUGE favor for my husband, who hasn't read any of my stories, but DOES know the name of the series I am obsessed with. Bether's husband hasn't read her stories either, but did surprisingly say he might try writing one. LOL . . .

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:12 am

You know, now I am a little worried. He HAS watched enough Enterprise to recognize Trip and T'Pol, I would think, but maybe he wasn't paying attention. I hope that's it.
Image.Image

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:18 am

Well he did say, "Oh right. I just forgot the name."

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:01 am

I try to look at the small victories with Emily. She said hello. Last year she never would have even done that. It's a start. I think Josh just thinks us adults are all kind of lame. Teenagers...

I told Eric that you liked him, JT. His face brightened and then he said something to the effect that you'd be welcome anytime, lol. :) Abby was asking me a million and one questions tonight about the moon. I've got to teach that girl to google.

I thought your house was very beautiful and peaceful, Alelou. And that garden is awesome. I'll have to try and get my family out to those falls sometime. I was totally impressed. The thing with the writing does honestly make me a little lonely too. I probably shouldn't admit to this, but most of my little stories are really about me and things that I want to say with my heart. (well, except for the NC-17, of course. That's an entirely different matter. :lol: ) I use Trip and T'Pol to express my feelings. Hope that's not too corny, but one must also consider the source here. :lol:

It was a fun time at the Averill Park con-with-no-stars weekend. I suppose gathering with friends is mostly what cons are about anyhow. :)

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:43 am

I think all writers are writing to somebody out there who will, they hope, 'get' what they're trying to say. Which is no doubt why we so love reviews, especially from people who clearly get it. In fact, when it comes to my novels I really have to rein in a tendency to develop what is surely a narcissistic crush on any nice guy who gets really involved in them. It's very addictive, that sense of being paid attention to and appreciated, even though in reality there's quite a big difference between active, lively characters and the dull, frumpy person who sits on her butt for hours to write them.
Image.Image

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:44 am

(By which I mean ME, Bether, not YOU!!!)
Image.Image

Return to “Conventions”