Ai-Kon

Heard of a Star Trek convention? Going to one? Share your experience here!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Ai-Kon

Postby CX » Wed May 27, 2009 9:30 pm

Anime Detour didn't work out for me thanks to the flood, so I'm going to Ai-Kon instead: link. Yay, I have an excuse to go to Winnipeg for the first time in over 10 years...

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Ai-Kon

Postby CX » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:54 pm

This was ok for my first convention. Dance wasn't all that good, and I didn't really know any of the guests, except for one from the infamous Garugamesh! commercial for another con. I was fanboy enough to ask her if she liked sushi, and it turns out she does but really hates that commercial now due to it being internet famous. So I got my ass chewed by a voice actress in front of a bunch of people. The guest animator was much cooler attitude-wise, but I suppose I can always look forward to being a new chapter in the "horror con" stories Tiffany Grant tells.

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Distracted » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:08 pm

Did you cosplay? I want pictures!
Image sig by chrisis1033

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:43 pm

Here's my album from it. Mine is pretty small, but Shane and another of my friends have pretty big albums.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 378&ref=mf
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 113&ref=mf

Oh, and to add to things, I caught con-AIDS, so called because everyone has it. :doubt: Basically it's a flu.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:30 pm

I haven't checked the photos yet b/c I'm at work ( and I'm impatient so I"m going to ask instead of waiting to get home to check :D) but what type of con is this Ai-Kon?
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:31 am

Anime.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:23 am

So it's been forever since I've been to this, but what the hell, here are some pics.

Here are a couple of the guests. I can't remember the name of the one on the left, but she's an animator. The one on the right is Tiffany Grant, and she's done quite a bit or work, but she's most famous for playing Asuka from Evangelion, which are actually what her earrings are. The two of them were pretty cool for the most part - you could see them wandering around the con or the hotel and just stop to chat with them a bit. Unfortunately later I'd go on to piss off Tiffany Grant, because as it turns out, she really hates a certain commercial she was in that I thought was hilarious. Read more about what happened here. Since she'd been so cool before, I thought we might get her to pose in a picture with us, but as it turned out, this was a bad idea. So at my first con ever, I pissed off a guest. Not bad, eh?

Well, the cause of all this controversy was this here:
Girugamesh!

Basically, there was an obnoxious ad for another con, and in it this gothy looking kid makes that sign while saying "Girugamesh!" which I guess is a J-Rock band or something. Anyway this is also my introduction to our cosplaying.

I'm cosplaying as Batou, from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I even had my eyebrows waxed to look more like him and died my hair blond so it wouldn't stand out as much from around the bottom of the wig.

All of us cosplayed as something or other. Shane is based loosely on a character from Metal Gear Solid while Will is HUNK from Resident Evil. These are the two friends I stuck with for the most part, though there were a few others with us. We had a lot of fun around the con, and actually became somewhat recognized thanks to our constant "Girugamesh!" chant.

Image Image
Image Image

We didn't cosplay constantly, though, and there was plenty of other things to do there. We even went to a video game tournament and offered up some MST3K style riffing. We also played ourselves a bit later on, after leaving the rather disappointing dance. Unfortunately the rather obnoxious anime fans wanted to listen to nothing but anime soundtracks, and while some of them are nice to listen to, they aren't really something you can have much fun dancing to, and, I don;t know, I like a little variety in my dance music, too.

Will's skill vs. my button mashing

There were also some other cosplayers to check out, my favorite being Yoko from Gurren Lagann here.
Image Image

We also had some fun back in the room.
No, not that kind of fun, pervs!

There was also unfortunately some con drama from our own group, and an attempt to switch up the transportation arrangements. We trolled them by agreeing to it, only to rush to our car and drive away as quickly as we could. Here we are, passing them now. :D

This was honestly my favorite of the three cons I've been to so far. part of that was our sight-seeing around Winnipeg and the different places we ate at when there was nothing really going on at the con we were interested in. There was also plenty to do at the con to keep us busy. The Delta Winnipeg was damn expensive though, so if we ever go again, we have an alternative hotel in mind.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Awww. No comments? :(

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:54 pm

I can see why Yoko was your favorite. But those things stuck in your eyes look very uncomfortable!

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Cogito wrote:I can see why Yoko was your favorite.

Heh! Me too... :twisted:

Looks like you had a lot of fun, CX!
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Yup. Still my favorite con.

The things in my eyes are modified jeweler's loupes, actually. Not really uncomfortable so much as they were work to keep in.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:28 pm

To my shame I don't recognise any of your characters (although I've spent an inordinate amount of time trying to recognise Yuko). Perhaps you could post pictures of the original characters for comparison?

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:01 am

Yoko:

Batou:

HUNK

Return to “Conventions”