"The Abomination"

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: "The Abomination"

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 28, 2009 7:47 pm

First of all those dress uniforms are God Awful! I thought VOY dress uniforms were the worst, I was wrong. The superficial fashionista side of me (and I'm not afraid to admit I have one) was cringing. Second of all, why wasn't EVERYONE in a dress uniform? I mean yeah awful but come on. We know why T'Pol was not in one, for incredibly shallow, superficial, must have sexiness to keep guys and girls hooked reasons. Not that its wrong just... well not realistic. And I could have designed a better catsuit. They looked like track suits you wear to the gym. Sorry but I've never liked ST clothes. Well at least the uniforms, the "present" ones are a little better. VOY regular ones were OK, but as a whole not-so-much.

As for the hug, don't string me up but I felt a push to the AinT side of things. Hey that's what the B's wanted to begin with, and there are people who agree very strongly. I don't get it but that's life.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Thu May 28, 2009 8:40 pm

If that was a push to A/T, I'd say JB pushed back just as hard as she could. Have you ever seen a Vulcan look stiffer?

I know why no one else wore dress uniforms. There was no BUDGET for anyone else to wear dress uniforms, especially at that point. And you're right, it makes no sense for it to be just Archer.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu May 28, 2009 8:53 pm

Only Archer wearing a Dress Uniform. Par for the course. all through the series eveything was done to make Archer look better than anyone else. Smater, Stronger, Braver.

The one that really stands out in my mind was that Hat in North Star. Meant to make Archer look Heroic and dangerous. Trip didn't have a hat anywhere near as good.

When shown with his shirt off SB had body make up on, good lightining, and good camera angles. CT on the other had always looked pale, had poor lighting and poor camera angles. SB was always shot from full face on. connor usually was turned so he was viewed sideways. SB lookeed better face on. Connor it was hard to tell his build sideways.

In many scenes you saw SB face on but the other actors were forced to have their backs to the camera.

So, I am not surprised that no one else had a Dress Uniform. Bet Trip woould have made that Unifrom look good.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Yeah Trip would, but they were still awful.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu May 28, 2009 9:48 pm

Speaking of Captain, congrats on your new rank, WarpGirl. You sure are rising fast!
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 28, 2009 10:02 pm

OMG I didn't even NOTICE! I spend a lot of time at home because my health is poor. And when you live alone, one dog and a cat aren't enough to keep the blahs away. So I actually have very little to do. But cool! Thanks. :D

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu May 28, 2009 10:50 pm

Yeah, Archer's "dress uniform" sure looked ugly. And I never cared much for the ENT flightsuits either. I could accept the engineering crew and people like that using them. But otherwise I'd want proper uniforms (shirt, sweater, trousers, jacket). But apart from the movies (II-VI) Trek has rarely had good uniforms.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 28, 2009 10:56 pm

The ENT uniforms were like BDU's which would have been fine if they were on a different planet every week like Stargate. I did like the fact they had pockets, because I have never understood the no pocket concept. At least hey were functional, unlike the catsuit. Again not anything wrong per se but not realistic. And I still think it was a painted on sweat suit I'd wear to my PT sessions.

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu May 28, 2009 11:02 pm

I have my own pet theory about T'Pol's catsuits, and I'm only making this up because I love to see her (especially her bum ;)) in them.

She wears them on the NX-01 because for a Vulcan it's cold on board. The catsuits are made of some special Vulcan insulation material that keeps her comfortably warm. It's warmer in her quarters, so she can wear silk jammies there and don't feel cold.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :vulcan:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 28, 2009 11:18 pm

Oh it makes sense and you're not the only one to "rationalize" the catsuit that way. 7of9 has no such advantage. I don't mind the catsuit I just don't like the particular pattern they used. And as a woman let me tell you it isn't the most practical attire for a high energy high stress job. Julie Newmar wore the ultimate catsuit in the "Batman" series. If you really want to get into the asthetics of *the_abomination*, what about those wigs!!!! T'Pol and Deanna got shafted majorly with those wigs.

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri May 29, 2009 12:53 am

WarpGirl wrote:Oh it makes sense and you're not the only one to "rationalize" the catsuit that way. 7of9 has no such advantage.

I've actually heard a fan rationalization that it had to do with protecting her residual Borg implants. No, not that kind of implants... :lol:

I don't mind the catsuit I just don't like the particular pattern they used.

My favourite is the white one, followed by the light blue one. I hated the brownish grey carpet thing she had in the first seasons.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 29, 2009 1:00 am

I know you said so in your reviews. The white one looks grungy, after two minutes in the desert. My OCD hates that. Ewww. The colors are nice but the actual pattern of the suit annoys me. Especially that wide band or belt thing around her waist. You should NEVER cut off a woman in that place I don't care how thin she is, it looks weird, the proportions get screwed. The grey VHC uniform was just bad!

Borg implants YEAH RIGHT! What 15 year old came up with that. I perfer to call a spade a spade. All cat suits are for sex appeal, again that's just the way it works and no use crabbing about it.

Fics

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Fri May 29, 2009 10:13 am

Well, T'Pol is dressed as she is for two beautiful things called Ms Fanservice (or simply fanservice) and Stripperiffic.

I personally hate ENT uniforms because they're hell to draw :bitch:

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri May 29, 2009 11:34 am

Ha! I particularly enjoyed some of those links, like Estrogen Brigade Bait and Hot Green Skinned Babe. :) And I think T'Pol also qualifies as Latex Space Suit (or whatever it was).
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 29, 2009 1:54 pm

Now like I said I don't particularly mind the catsuits, yeah I'm a bit of a feminist, but I get the point of making the characters appear as attractively as possible. What I didn't like was how often EVERYONE stripped down to underware or nothing at all. Yeah I'm including the men in this too, and I like the skivvies as much as the next girl. But it was so blantantly gratuitous that it irritated me to no end. It was so rare, on the others series that when it happened you were like "oooh so that's what you look like under that prim and proper uniform." It was a treat, and it was respectful. Not so on ENT it was force fed and EVERYONE was sort of displayed like a piece of meat. I didn't appreciate it as a human being, let alone a woman. And of course T'Pol was the most stripped by virtue of her figure. Hey I think Hoshi is just as attractive as T'Pol, in some ways more so because of the stupid Vulcan wigs. The whole thing irritates me. But I said it bugs me about EVERYONE, so I better not hear that I'm being an unreasonable feminist. <looks warily at some odd men> :tsktsk:

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”