Magl
Cadet
Cadet

T'Pol Family

Postby Magl » Fri May 04, 2007 2:46 am

Well, We lost de topic about The Good That Men Do, too bad Sad

So, I read this in Amazon:

Reviewer: Czarina (USA) - See all my reviews

There's a lot of specious argument in the reviews here. Did anyone think to consult the plans the series' writers had for season 5 of Enterprise? It may have been cancelled, but they still had storylines sketched out.

Trip's brother is gay and has a husband. That info was going to be in the season 5.

T'Pol is, as the series showed very plainly, unable to control all of her emotions for more than one reason. She is not a Human with pointy ears. She has neurological damage from abuse of Trellium-D, for one. Her mother mentions several times during the TV show that she has _always_ had difficulties controlling her emotions.

Season 5 would've revealed that her father is alive -- and _Romulan_. Her emotionalism is perfectly consistent with her back story.

………………

So, now T,Pol is half-Romulan !!!! Shock

Maria da Glória

blacknblue
Site Admin

Re: T'Pol Family

Postby blacknblue » Fri May 04, 2007 4:23 am

I would have to see this person's sources before I could comment. Simply claiming something isn't enough.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby evcake » Fri May 04, 2007 4:31 am

Ragua did the gay brother thing in Court and Spark. T'Pol was asked to "stand up" with the brother's spouse.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri May 04, 2007 5:53 am

I remembered hearing the T'Pol's-father's-Romulan thing before, I don't know where though. We could have heard it from the same unreliable source.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri May 04, 2007 6:27 am

Trip's brother is gay and has a husband. That info was going to be in the season 5.

Rolling Eyes Overtly socially liberal PC, anyone? Rolling Eyes

I categorically reject all of this as not canon. Although perhaps T'Pol being half-Romulan would explain why she'd heard of Romulans in Minefield.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri May 04, 2007 6:33 am

Some of us are more liberal than others I guess. I, for one, don't care about the gay brother thing, I just think all the times I've seen it that it tends to be more up front than it should be.

The Romulan father thing was just something a few fans threw out there as an idea on TrekBBS a while back. And Ragua isn't the only one to do the gay brother thing either, she was just among the first, that I read anyway. Wink

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri May 04, 2007 2:56 pm

Magl wrote:Trip's brother is gay and has a husband. That info was going to be in the season 5.

/.../

Season 5 would've revealed that her father is alive -- and _Romulan_. Her emotionalism is perfectly consistent with her back story.

Neither of those things has ever been established as having been planned for season 5. The former was included in the novel TGTMD and the latter has been speculation by some fans over the years.

But unless someone has been prying into the minds of Manny Coto or the Beebs, none of those thing were planned for a fifth season.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Zane Gray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Zane Gray » Fri May 04, 2007 10:09 pm

One problem with the "Romulan father" thing is that Ruffles have ridges. Or at least Romulans do. And T'Pol doesn't. Mostly, that theory was espoused on TrekBBS by those who disliked how fascinated T'Pol was with Human emotions and her own.
Zane Gray

"I'll see you again after this Romulan business is finished. I promise."

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri May 04, 2007 11:01 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:But unless someone has been prying into the minds of Manny Coto or the Beebs, none of those thing were planned for a fifth season.

Ack. Inside the minds of the Killer B's. Now there is a truly frightening thought.

boushh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby boushh » Fri May 04, 2007 11:14 pm

I don't buy that info from amazon... seems like someone just throwing stuff out there...

And I hope I'm not the only one around who didn't think that the gay brother thing was too much. It was a passing reference...

I don't know... I just didn't think it was a hit someone over the head type reference. <shrug>

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon May 07, 2007 12:56 pm

Gosh, sigh, I don't think we need a complication of T'Pol's father being Romulan. It would seem to go against the grain of T'Les being a Syrranite and V'Las out to kill the Syrranites. Since V'Las was in thick with the Romulans, you would think he would go easy on T'Les if she had a Romulan husband. But if she had changed her mind about being in V'Las's camp and rejected the Romulan influence on Vulcan, I can see V'Las being after her as a traitor. Oh, well. But as it is not "officially" canon, I suppose I can just ignore it.

But it would be interesting if T'Pol's father really is alive and is Vulcan! Maybe he could have been made "officially" dead like Trip in TGTMD for undercover work? A bit hard on T'Pol though, but a good story plot for a fan fic? Actually, another good plot could be if T'Les did not die, and T'Pol divorced Koss because with the change of government on Vulcan T'Les was no longer persecuted. Anybody working on a story along those lines?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon May 07, 2007 11:01 pm

Question, like do you mean with T'Les being Not. Dead. like retconning the events from after she died in T'Pol's arms in the Vulcan arc, or like altering the events that led to her death so she didn't even like "supposedly" die?

Um not working on anything myself, just curious. Smile
ImageImage

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue May 08, 2007 12:53 pm

Well, anything. Let the writer's imagination flow. But I could see T'Pol thinking T'Les was dead because she was in a very deep coma. T'Pol leaves her body inside the ruined sanctuary. And then, with the self healing that Vulcans are famous for, T'Les starts healing in her coma and another Syrranite finds her and nurses her back. Then T'Les finds out Koss had divorced T'Pol because everyone thinks she is dead. And T'Les really liking Trip as we see in the Home episode, she hides in monestaries until Trip and T'Pol's marraige bond is strong and Koss has married someone else. Does that work? Sigh, I have too many story lines to work with. Don't know if I would take this one on. My mind is just always running over with story lines - workable or not, LOL. I think it is curse the way my mind has been filled with fictitious worlds since early childhood and people saying "Linda snap out of it and do something useful!" LOL, but it is more fun than the real world!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed May 09, 2007 11:54 am

Was Enterprikayak hinting that T'Pol was half Romulan? In one of her stories one of Trip and T'Pol's babies has a Romulan forehead (it's not called that) and T'Pol remember a sister (now passed away) who also looked like that.

As for the gay brother--about 3 percent of men and 1.5 percent of women in the (U.S.) poplulation has exclusively same-sex relationships. About 7% of women and 7% of men report same-sex desire. (This from a very scholarly economics study, I edited). Deal with it people! Gay people shouldn't be hiding. Most shocking statistic from the study: Gay and lesbian people are partnered (living with a parner) in EXACTLY the same proportions as heterosexuals! Why? Because other than their sexual preference, they are just like everyone else. They want a happy fulfilling life, including companionship/intimacy!

I was pleased to see many gay people in TGTMD. And Trip mistook Phuong for a woman at first when he first saw him from behind. What was the point of that? Maybe the writer just wanted the reader to deal with a little ambiguity. Trip accepted Phung instantly. I doubt it would matter to Trip what his sexual preference was, just like Trip accepted the cogenitor.

I still want to know about the nephews in Ireland? The gay couple in TGTMD should have had children to match canon. Unless Trip has yet more brothers we don't know about.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed May 09, 2007 10:11 pm

You're misremembering. They did not establish that the nephew was in Ireland, merely that the letters in Breaking the Ice originated from Ireland. People have just linked the two since his nephew was in the fourth grade and the letters were from a fourth grade class. However, I only need to point to the constant repeats throughout the show (the name "Cyrus" showed up twice, as well as the job of architect showing up twice, not to mention the various episodes that were basically redos of previous show episodes.

As to the gay brother thing: my complaints revolve around the political correctness of it's inclusion, specifically the "husband" reference. It seemed, to me, to serve little purpose beyond saying "Look how advanced the future is! Much better than us savages!" That's what caused me to roll my eyes, not the fact that the brother in question was gay.

As to the T'Pol is half-Romulan idea, I have to roll my eyes once more. Next, we'll learn that Archer is Kirk's maternal grandfather, Mayweather is Sisko's ancestor, Reed is Picard's, and Sato is Sulu's. Rolling Eyes I loath the idea and sincerely doubt it's accurate.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”