The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

KKGlinka
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Show On Map: No

Re: Need a Beta Reader? Post Here!

Postby KKGlinka » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:47 am

CX wrote:Just as easy to read as prose as far as I'm concerned. Especially the scripts I write.

And you're so modest! Just like me.
CX wrote:Actually in some cases script can be easier to understand. As for technical requirements, the same as prose - words spelled correctly and used correctly.

If you're just worried about grammar and homonyms, I can probably do that. There is no hope for me checking on narrative flow, though it's possible I would catch any glaring plot holes. That doesn't change the fact that when I had to choose between "prosaic poetry" and "script writing" when studying English, I chose the former even though I think most poetry is a load of tripe. (Only good in highly spiced stew). *hates with a passion on meter* That whole thing where I had to keep checking in the center who was talking... *brain explodes* Actually, I'm not sure which was worse.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:40 pm

KKGlinka wrote:And you're so modest! Just like me.

Rigil wrote all the best scripts. Of course he does have something like 10 years of experience on me though. ;)
If you're just worried about grammar and homonyms, I can probably do that. There is no hope for me checking on narrative flow, though it's possible I would catch any glaring plot holes. That doesn't change the fact that when I had to choose between "prosaic poetry" and "script writing" when studying English, I chose the former even though I think most poetry is a load of tripe. (Only good in highly spiced stew). *hates with a passion on meter* That whole thing where I had to keep checking in the center who was talking... *brain explodes* Actually, I'm not sure which was worse.

Well, there are plenty of people who badmouth prose too, and it burns my ass either way. But just for kicks, I think I'll dare you to read a few episodes of Foundations. ;)

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby auroraborealis » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:12 am

I've never done this before. But I wrote a story a while ago and sent it in and the person I contacted said that I needed a beta writer. Shortly after that I decided that I hated my story so I re-wrote it like a thousand times because I'm a perfectionist like that. Well, I'm finally ready for a beta-reader so anyone whose avalible would be great.

Thanks.

If I'm supposed to do something else someone tell me cause like I said. I'm new at this.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:26 am

You're doing fine.

You might want to give a little more info, like how long it is or what genre it is, to help pique someone's interest in the job.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby auroraborealis » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:28 pm

It's a two-part story. The first one is 32 pages in Arial 12 point font. Which is probably more like 25 pages in Times New Roman. It usually only takes me about an hour and a half to read both of them. The second one is the same length. I think of it as a drama, but it could be a action romance. There is a major character death, and I know a lot of people don't like that, but it's resolved later in the second story. It revolves almost completely around Trip and T'Pol's relationship and how important they are to each other. It's my first fanfic ever, and it's probably the longest thing I've ever written. I sometimes have trouble with punctuation and spelling, but I think the computer picked most of that out.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:25 pm

I don't be up to editing your story, but you made me eager of reading it. :D
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:58 pm

Yeah, me too.

Oh, auroraborealis, other thing that you might want to say is if your story is NC-17 or not. Because some people won't beta it if it is.

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby auroraborealis » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:33 pm

I would call it PG-13. There's no sex and only a couple of cuss words but there is some violence.

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:32 pm

I'd be happy to beta your story. Because of the length, it won't happy overnight, however. If you don't mind waiting a couple of days, send me a PM.

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby auroraborealis » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:55 am

Please excuse my ignorance. What's a PM and how will I send you one.

Oh, and thank you so much for offering to beta. I was starting to worry no one would want too. :D

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby auroraborealis » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:59 am

OH. Ok nevermind about the PM thing. I figured it out. :lol:

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby auroraborealis » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:03 pm

What format am I supposed to attach my word document as? Because I've tried word, rich text, and plain text and none of those work.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:29 pm

I don't think you can attach things to a pm here, or at least I've never tried. If you can get your beta's email address, that would work, or you can use YouSendIt and pm her the link.
Image sig by chrisis1033

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:43 am

^ Actually they added the option to attach files to a PM here. Up to 50mb I think (that's a lot :shock: ) :? :?: it's at the bottom when you compose a PM. :)
ImageImage

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:23 pm

Cool. So...why is it not working? D_R? Elessar?

Maybe you should pm one of them, auroraborealis, and ask.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”