The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

The Taming of the Raptor

Postby Linda » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:52 pm

This fic will be a three part story instead of two parts as the introduction stated. Life has gotten a bit busy, but I hope to have part two up in a couple of days, and part three maybe next weekend. My beta thought it would work better as a three part story, and as usual, she is right! I think this database problem has slowed us all down a bit, but not stopped us. It must have taken our site coordinators a lot of time to get us back on track. Thanks, guys!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

justTripn
Consigliere

Linda's Raptor fic

Postby justTripn » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:07 pm

Since we have no comment boxes for Linda's new fic, I thought maybe people could comment here. (Or move to general chat?) Anyway . . .

To summarize the comments that were lost:

"Fantastic!" "Wow!" "You are now one of my favorite fanfic authors."

Since it's a Vulcan story, I'd like to add:

"LOGICAL!" "Acceptable!!!" *

*From T'Poptarts' Vulcan movie reviews. Very Happy

Seriously though, it's a fast-paced and original drama. Check it out!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Distracted
Site Donor

Re: The Taming of the Raptor

Postby Distracted » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:23 pm

I never had the chance to comment on your story before everything shut down, Linda. Just wanted you to know I'm hooked already. The descriptions of Vulcan are so realistic! I could see the city in my head. Marvelous job.
Image sig by chrisis1033

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:35 pm

I love the way it begins so mysteriously. I'm in the middle of reading it now so I'm not going to further comment until later. Just that I'm enjoying it Smile
Writing as TrekPyro.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Re: Linda's Raptor fic

Postby blacknblue » Tue May 01, 2007 12:15 am

I saved a copy to me hard drive. Unfortunately, I didn't save the comments. Sorry. Sad

rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby rogue » Tue May 01, 2007 12:20 am

Great job as always Linda! Can't wait for the next installment Very Happy

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue May 01, 2007 12:35 am

I liked it for the most part, I'm just a bit leery of the emotional Vulcan is all. Wink

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue May 01, 2007 1:00 am

Vulcans are more emotional than Humans CX. That's why they almost destroyed themselves. And nobody can push your buttons and break your self control like a lover or member of your family. If anyone can provoke a Vulcan into an emotional display, it would be a cheating fiancee, wouldn't it?

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue May 01, 2007 1:57 am

I was referring to the fiance. Wink

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue May 01, 2007 3:20 am

Oh, him. You are right. That guy has defintely been contaminated by too much exposure to Human culture. I asked before in my previous comments, which one is the raptor and needs taming? In Shakespeare's play it was the wife, but he seems pretty wild to me. Might be interesting to see T'Pau smack him into line. I don't blame her for being pissed. While she was off in the desert, getting shot at. He was on Earth partying it up and groping Human girls in the backseat of cars. No wonder she got mad.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue May 01, 2007 4:15 am

I am ejoying the story very much. Samik is a great character. He's going to have a little trouble reclaiming his heritage if he keeps pulling stunts like walking into T'Pau's meeting with the trade commission. He's a VERY unconventional Vulcan. I liked the scene on Earth with the fellow who fed the little Vulcan girl chocolate. So Theobromos makes Vulcans drunk, eh? Or is it the sugar?
And: "Oh, THAT Kov - yes, I know him." I can't wait.
I like the way you write Vulcans. You were pretty nice to Koss, too. I never thought he was played as a bad guy. Just an inconvenient guy.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue May 01, 2007 1:12 pm

LOL, Samik is getting some discussion! With him, I am trying to play with the concept of a bicultural Vulcan. I read in a star trek magazine a while back that Vulcans were basically much more emotional than Humans. That intrigued me. The massive effort to keep the lid on, the cultural techniques to achieve this surface unemotional facade, seemed to me to be something very hard to achieve. And once achieved, must be ruthlessly maintained. I see Surak, T'Pau, Sarek as instruments of this maintenance. I see V'Las and Samik pulled by the alure of other cultures. Their behavior scares the Vulcans into an isolationist mode. I can see reasons for and against this mode. And I try to make the characters complex so they have likable and unlikeable traits. V'Las is kind of a one sided sketch, though, so you don't mind him getting his fate. And my Romulans don't have much socially redeeming value, LOL. But hey, it makes it fun to do them in, right?

The Raptor is a kind of abstract concept for the vulcanic underlying emotional nature of Vulcans. I think of a snow capped mountain - beautiful like Mount Fuji, or like Mount St. Helens used to be - the image of a Vulcan in control. And T'Pau knows that she must do something to keep the snow on the mountain or it will explode and cause great distruction. And Samik knows that Vulcans must learn to live with other emotional species to survive, to let some of that emotion vent. Its kind of a tension that needs resolution, balance. I hope it is working? It is a lot like balancing between two cultures right here on Earth, at least that is where it is coming from for me. Uh, I hope I have not given away too much. And I love to work with humor. I think that is needed balance the angst and anger.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Bookworm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Linda's Raptor fic

Postby Bookworm » Tue May 01, 2007 6:28 pm

Amazing Very Happy
I'm really looking forward reading more. Linda your story became one of my favorite fics ever even if it's not finished yet, but the first chapter was just so good.
I really really like Vulcans and you had so many interesting details about them in your story.

Bookworm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Bookworm » Tue May 01, 2007 6:44 pm

I didn't notice this discussion here. I already posted a comment into Trip and T'Pol section of this forum. Confused

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Tue May 01, 2007 7:15 pm

I'm gonna merge this thread with the one in the Tnt section
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”