Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: I Just Rewatched ____ and Noticed ____

Postby Alelou » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:05 pm

justTripn wrote:You DO realize you are probably the foremost Star Trek: Enterprise scholar IN THE WORLD? I wonder if there would be a way to turn that into a regular gig at conventions. The audience could ask you all these impossible continutity questions and you could tell tell them the answers you've come up with.

Yeah, that's JUST what I need on my resume. 8)

I'm with you, SB. "Cold Front" is one of the sloppiest, stupidest episodes in the entire canon. If I'd had to pick one to skip, that might have been it. Well, that one and *the_abomination* of course.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:29 pm

What got me about the Episode is the sloppy writing. NO attempt to keep things straight. Either Danials he been aboard the Enterprise from the Git Go or he came on somewhere along the line and that would be a little hard to do since they were travelling in space. why wouldn't the crew notice that Daniel all of a sudden was a steward in the Captains Mess.

In one scene it seemed that Trip and Daniel had spoken quite a bit before. Trip says that Daniel doesn't have a Brother on Jupiter station. Daniel says he doesn't have a brother. then Trip says are you from Illinois and Daniel says more or less. If Trip had known Daniel long enough to have gotten that information from Daniel then he obviously had been on board a long time. Why didn't he explose himself to Archer before and had the equipment set up long before Silik came aboard. He could have waited until Silik disconnected that thing which stopped the Cascade from destroying the ship and then grabbed him.

I cannot see Daniel not being allowed a weapon. He probably had assignments which were dangerous and he would need to be armed.

What happened to that Glove? Archer wore it to go through the wall but when he confronted Silik he did not have it on. So what happened to it? Silik obviously didn't take it or even need it. Starfleet would love to get its hand on something like that.

Why did Archer have Daniels quarters locked? He said that there probably was other things in there so why didn't he look to see what may have been left behind by Daniel? Starfleet would certainly want him to do that.

Sloppy plotting and writing.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:15 pm

Azati Prime (thank you Chrissie's Transcript Site)...

VOICE [OC}: Commander, we've lost contact with one of the lunar outposts.
REPTILIAN: How long ago?
VOICE [OC]: Two hours.
REPTILIAN: Send a patrol. We will resume this when I return. (leaves)
ARBOREAL: Someone once said that dealing with reptilians is like bargaining with the sun. You make no progress, and you come away burned.

<snip>

[Xindi shuttle]
TRAVIS: I know these controls aren't exactly intuitive.
ARCHER: I think they were built for someone with compound eyes.
TRAVIS: Try again. Good, you're starting to think like an insectoid.
ARCHER: I'll take that as a compliment.
TRAVIS: Can I ask you something?
ARCHER: Go ahead.
TRAVIS: You're the least expendable man on Enterprise. Why are you doing this?
ARCHER: An hour ago I gave the command to kill three Xindi in cold blood. A month ago I had Phlox create a living being in order to use some of it's tissue, then I watched him put it to death.

Apparently, in the Expanse, time also fails to follow the laws of physics.

Or maybe the Xindi divide their day up into equal portions of 12 instead of 24?

(Alien time always being equivalent to our own is just another one of those things you don't want to think about too hard in ST.)

Or maybe they reversed the order of those scenes in editing too? That's two episodes in a row with continuity issues.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:18 pm

That one's easy. It was about 1 hour and 40 minutes ago and the Xindi rounded up and Archer rounded down. ;)

Ann
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:17 am

I just rewatched "Body and Soul" from Season 7 of Voyager. It was a thoroughly entertaining episode in which some aliens are hunting for photonic beings who are part of a rebellion and so the holographic doctor has to hide himself inside 7 of 9's neural processor, or something. So 7 of 9 IS the doctor, played of course by Jerry Ryan. Totally hilarous. BUT the B plot was Tuvok having to go through pon farr without his wife. I thought Silverbullet had told me that Tuvok survived his pon farr through meditation. In fact, he survived by means of a holodeck program of his wife. So nothing counters the prevailing theory that a male Vulcan experiencing pon farr, will die if he does not have sex.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

JT, if I recall the guy who Got torres going was a Vulcan. The Doctor lined hm up with a lovely Holodeck Vulcan woman who the guy apparently didn't have Sex with.

The guy fights Torres, loses and Tuvok says the Blood Fever has passed due to the fight. So that is one Vulcan who made it through Pon Farr and came out of it through a fight that he lost.

I think it was Tuvok who said that a Vulcan with a strong mind could meditate his way through Pon Farr.

Spock certainly didn't have Sex, he fought Kirk, won and returned to Enterprise and he was over his Pon Farr withot Sex and he didn't die.

T'Pol evidently went through something like Female Pon Farr in bounty. Phlox got her through that by sedating her heaviy. Again, no Sex and she didn't die.

SB

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:10 pm

OK, so pon farr can be resolved by sex or a big fight. T'Pol's case wasn't pon farr. And the fact that Tuvok HOPED he could survive pon farr by meditating doesn't prove what would have happened in "real life" lol.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:06 pm

Tuvok stated that a very strong mind could meditate through Pn Farr. supposedy what T'Pol had in bounty was womens Pon Farr. Phlox said she had to "Mate" or die. Neverheless he seadted her and she survived without "mating" with anyone although she offered herself to Phlox and Reed. She also gave Trip a very interested look

Spock too survived Pon Farr with out Sex. He palmed off the female to the guy she wanted and then rturned to Enterprise although supposdely he was in Pon Farr.

SB

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:45 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Phlox said she had to "Mate" or die.

According to http://www.chakoteya.net/Enterprise/51.htm, it was T'Pol who claimed she would die.

T'POL: We call it the pon farr, the cycle of mating.
PHLOX: Have you gone through this before?
T'POL: It's not time.
PHLOX: It's possible the infection acted as a catalyst.
T'POL: What caused it doesn't matter. If I don't mate with a male, Vulcan or otherwise, I'll die.

Obviously the main goal here was to show Jolene running around in her underwear fulfilling various fantasies. But ignoring that and taking the episode at face value, given the condition T'Pol was in, I wouldn't trust her either to know whether she was really at risk, or to be honest with Phlox about it if she did.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:54 pm

May I ask two questions? What fun would it be to watch a Vulcan burn up and die of Pon Farr on TV?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Yes, and none at all. (But what's that got to do with it?)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:11 pm

It's just that SB is always bringing up how no Vulcan ever dies from the Plak Tau. So I had to know if anyone would find that fun to watch.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:23 pm

WarpGirl wrote:It's just that SB is always bringing up how no Vulcan ever dies from the Plak Tau. So I had to know if anyone would find that fun to watch.

That's not the sort of thing that makes prime time TV entertainment. There's a ton of stuff that we never saw (and I never expect to see) on screen but we have to assume happens.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:36 pm

I concur! But like I said SB has brought it up many times. And frankly I don't want to see a Vulcan die like that.

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Tuvok stated that a very strong mind could meditate through Pn Farr.

So is a Vulcan who has gone through kolinahr strong enough to avoid going through pon farr? I would assume so.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”