Why the Trip abuse?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:36 am

Bether6074 wrote:Rigil, I hope you'll forgive me for saying this to a tough guy such as yourself, but I think what you need right now is a little TLC.
From a smoking hot Vulcan babe ... Drool
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:42 am

Why does everyone see what Trip did at he end of Bound as wiping the kiss off? I see that, and I see a guy who's savoring the taste while acting nonchalant about it, because the last time she planted on him he was just sort of caught up in the moment. Here, he had the upper hand and kept control.

I'm also of the view that TnT are awknowledging that they're a couple at the end of Bound and that this is sealed at the end of TP.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:47 am

CX wrote:Why does everyone see what Trip did at he end of Bound as wiping the kiss off? I see that, and I see a guy who's savoring the taste while acting nonchalant about it, because the last time she planted on him he was just sort of caught up in the moment. Here, he had the upper hand and kept control.

Thank you. That's the way I saw it as well but haven't been able to find the words to express it. For the first time, he has the upper hand in the relationship and he's going to enjoy it ... even if it doesn't last.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:47 am

Rigil Kent wrote:For the first time, he has the upper hand in the relationship and he's going to enjoy it ... even if it doesn't last.

Yeah. That was my take on it as well. I thought of it as him acknowledging her kiss and realizing that for once the ball was in his court. I think we should find the script notes for this scene. I've seen them, but I can't remember the exact descriptions. I think Trip was feeling mighty full of himself at that point in time. He'd finally at long last gotten T'Pol to admit to something. She wanted him on the ship and he knew it, but he wanted her to prove it to him. It was almost like him doing a little dance in his head..."Oh, yeah! She loves me! I'm the man." kinda thing. If that makes any sense at all...

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:19 pm

This is from the script someone posted at TBBS way back and that I saved:

Before she can react further...
Trip: I realized this is where I was meant to be... this thing between us isn't that big a deal.
Though they both know is is a big deal.
T'pol: Agreed
He starts to go, pauses.
Trip: (re: their relationship) I guess we got a lot of work to do..
And with that, he turns and heads off down the corridor.
She remains there, watching him go... happier than she's been in a long time... an still determined not to let it show.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

FireStar
Ensign
Ensign

Postby FireStar » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:46 am

I wonder if Trip is being abused or if it is just T'Pl trying to find her way? I honestly do not think it is intentional and that the character of Tucker gets this. In the series he gave as good as she did and I see this as an on going theme for both of them. Rememeber he had a choice too. He walked away. While it may seem all noble to us what did it say to a Vulcan who mates for life? We think in human terms and not applying Vulcan terms to it. I would say that on many levels T'Pol is like a teen age girl with her first boyfriend/ lover. Lost confused uncertain how far to go and if it can work out. Yes she is older then he is but she had no experience with Vulcan relationships much less an human one. I would say that Trip understood this and is attempting to let her find her place. yes he is getting kicked in the poogies for it a few times but he knows it will work out. My thinking is he fraked it up himself by not being honest with T'Pol. Sometimes you do have to hurt the one you love to make a point. He left her and she was lost without him and this let her get a clue to what feelings she pushed aside. He got burned sure but he could have said hey I need you and want you. He did not. So she thought he did not care. Logical. I would say being bonded forced a work out of the problems and maybe it let him know it would work out. Remember I dount T'Pol planned the bonding or falling in love. None of us ever plan to fall for the unsuitable wild man. But darned if most of us don't do anyway:)

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:36 pm

Yes! Firestar, that's exactly the way I see it. The bond draws them, but they've both got to make up their minds before they actually become a functioning, mature couple. For the entire series, and even, in my view, after Bound, T'Pol is still trying to find her way. I don't care if she's over sixty. Some of us take longer to figure out what we really want than others do. You saw the script yourself. "Still determined not to let it show." Heh. She needs a firm kick in the seat of her pants, that girl does. Wink
Image sig by chrisis1033

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:52 pm

Distracted wrote:Yes! Firestar, that's exactly the way I see it. The bond draws them, but they've both got to make up their minds before they actually become a functioning, mature couple. For the entire series, and even, in my view, after Bound, T'Pol is still trying to find her way. I don't care if she's over sixty. Some of us take longer to figure out what we really want than others do. You saw the script yourself. "Still determined not to let it show."

She needs a firm kick in the seat of her pants, that girl does. Wink

I'll do, though do I have to kick? Wink Twisted Evil

Anyhoo, I agree with your point, some people need longer than others to make up their minds as to what they want.
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:08 pm

Bether and KTR, thanks for the script notes for that "wiping the kiss off" scene. My husband warns me that I am way too literal. If Trip says their bond isn't that big a deal, I think maybe he thinks their bond isn't that big a deal. (More specifically, I thought he was tired of being pushed and pulled around and was going to think things over before proceeding again, now that the ball was in his court.) Your script notes provide the conclusive interepretation. Thanks so much.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:11 pm

Know what cracks me up about those script notes?

She remains there, watching him go... happier than she's been in a long time... an still determined not to let it show.

And just how the hell is JB supposed to portray that?

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:00 pm

Bether6074 wrote:Know what cracks me up about those script notes?

Uhh exactly like she did in that scene would be my guess. Razz

See both happy an determined to be tyical Vulcan logicaly stubburn. Cool I cant think of a better way to discribe both of these looks she's got on her face. Wink
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/Mitchell2/TnT/b64.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/Mitchell2/TnT/b65.jpg

Oh an just for record. Wink Im in the bunch that beleave they were with out a doubt moving forward with a ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP by the end of "Bound". Im prety sure that even in Vulcan a suck the air out of his lungs type of lip lock, means "Hay lets start a realtionship." Razz
They just both knew that they had a lot things to work out, on top of recovering fully from the hurt that they both inflected on each other over the past year. So they were going slow an careful like. Cause lets face it in the Tera Prime arc, they both were obviously some what twitchy yet around each other. IOWs scared to death to do anything that might send the other runnin off for the hills.
Last edited by Mitchell on Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TnT I love em. Very Happy

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:59 pm

Mitchell wrote:Uhh exactly like she did in that scene would be my guess. Razz

I totally agree with you, Mitchell. That's why her acting was so amazing at times. She was supposed to feel the emotions and we were supposed to realize she was feeling them, but she wasn't supposed to outwardly show them. And she pulled it off regularly.

I think the intention of scene was to be ambiguous. It was supposed to be left up to the individual to interpret. And, I would say, depending on how you think, you may believe things would've gone in one way or the other. While my head might've said no, with TnT my heart always said yes. It might not be logical, but I'm not always logical, either. You believe what you want to. It was that way with the other television couple that I shipped for, too, Mulder and Scully. They never showed anything more than a kiss, but I wanted to believe that much more than that was going on off camera.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:13 pm

Actually, something BnB said on another board kind of struck a cord with me - it's about respect, or in this case a lack of it. Sure T'Pol had her reasons to break it off in these stories, or in the other instances of Trip abuse, but when she failed to at the very least communicate these reasons to him, in that way she failed to respect him. Showing respect would be to include him in a decision that affects him as much as it does her, which ending a relationship does.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:48 pm

Mitchell wrote:

See both happy an determined to be tyical Vulcan logicaly stubburn. Cool I cant think of a better way to discribe both of these looks she's got on her face. Wink

Or like in this animated avatar I made: Very Happy

She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:23 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
Mitchell wrote:

Or like in this animated avatar I made: Very Happy

Rolling Eyes Show off.

Razz

Yeah Bether Jolene has never given any one a reason to doubt why she got the job. She is an worldclass actress. Now only Hollywood needs to realise how great she is.

An yeah they did write that scene to leave the crowd guessing what exactly was going to happen next with them. Wink An some times I kinda hate that. Laughing Disspite how great that scene was.. I like strait forward ones better. Wink Course TnT groupin each other down the corridor would of hardly been in character for either of them. So its propbably for the best I didnt get my wish. Laughing

Actually, something BnB said on another board kind of struck a cord with me - it's about respect, or in this case a lack of it. Sure T'Pol had her reasons to break it off in these stories, or in the other instances of Trip abuse, but when she failed to at the very least communicate these reasons to him, in that way she failed to respect him. Showing respect would be to include him in a decision that affects him as much as it does her, which ending a relationship does.

Good point. Of course I do have to say that while her actions do show lack in respect for Trip in most of these fics. Most of the time that isnt actualy the case though. She still seems to have more respect for Trip then anyone else wether their human or Vulcan. Rolling Eyes Even if she isnt showing him the resepct he diserves. An I think she knows this is a terible thing she's done to him. But she's caved into fear, an is stuck on the thought that breaking things off is the only way to protect them both. An she knows in her head, an heart that if she tells him why she's realy doing things Trip will not agree an manage to convince her other wise.

Rolling Eyes Kinda why Im getting a bit tired of the constant Polly breaks things off, Yo yo story lines. They have girl losin all her dang marbles, an she just threw what T'pold said out the winder. Confused Ya cant decide on love with logic or your brain women. Its an issue for the Heart to solve only.

Confused Ok either Im tired or I dont think I made a lick of sence. Laughing
TnT I love em. Very Happy

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”