New Fanfic Up!

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Re: New Fanfic Up!

Postby Kotik » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Alelou wrote:Yep, TS is perfectly within its rights in publishing stories unedited by either betas or the admins who are posting. I just prefer, in that case, to publish my first round of a story at a place where I have more personal control and better information about my readership.

That's MY right. 8)

I must side with WG on that one. Your 'defection' to ff.net seems somewhat strange. FF.net has no quality measures whatsoever. For all it's worth you could sneeze into a file and publish it there without problem. Maybe it'd be a good thing to tell us the real reason why you're leaving. I've known TriS to have stricter quality guidelines than ff.net, simply because ff has none. It doesn't make sense.

Kotik calls bullshit :evil:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:00 pm

I'd rather publish first in a place with no pretense of quality standards and more author control and user stats than in a place that has quality standards it doesn't live up to coupled with less control and no user stats. Consider, Kotik, that since you seldom leave comments I would not know if you've read my story here. At fanfiction.net I would at least see you counted as someone who read it, and I would even know what country you were from, which for whatever reason I find really entertaining.

You are welcome to consider that bullshit if you wish, since I have no control over what goes on in your mind.

The stuff will still run here eventually, assuming the admins don't want to ban me from the site at this point. That's their right, too. It would probably be good for me, since I already waste too much time on this stuff.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:09 pm

Alelou wrote:I'd rather publish first in a place with no pretense of quality standards and more author control and user stats than in a place that has quality standards it doesn't live up to coupled with less control and no user stats. Consider, Kotik, that since you seldom leave comments I would not know if you've read my story here. At fanfiction.net I would at least see you counted as someone who read it, and I would even know what country you were from, which for whatever reason I find really entertaining.

You are welcome to consider that bullshit if you wish, since I have no control over what goes on in your mind.

The stuff will still run here eventually, assuming the admins don't want to ban me from the site at this point. That's their right, too. It would probably be good for me, since I already waste too much time on this stuff.

So you're basically po'ed about the same things as many others here. We post our stuff and don't know if it'll appear next week or next year and we have no idea, who reads it. But I still think it'd be better to push for improvements for this site rather than running for ff.net. I've stopped counting how often I offered help with the programming, but once we settle for what is, nothing will change. I'd prefer that some of the more veteran members spoke up, rather than just leaving for some anarchic site that's even worse. (where's the damn 'up in arms' smiley)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:16 pm

Alelou it's just sad, people have been leaving left and right. Losing you too is sad, people are going to feel that. Okay this site is changing, and if you really don't like that then you should leave to make yourself happy. But other people find it sad, and your reasoning doesn't really help that. And it doesn't have too. But you should know that people here care. Or we wouldn't question it.

And Kotik has a point, we all have things about this site we don't particularly like. But I try to help where I can. I have trouble keeping betas, but I offer my help to anyone who needs some help with the skills I have. (Research, cultural information, consistancy issues...) I'm useless with programming but I try to help with whatever I can, like voting for improvements. I don't see how leaving helps solve any of it.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:31 pm

Hello, people. I am NOT LEAVING. I love Triaxian Silk. I am just posting stuff first at the only other site where I customarily publish. I've done it before. I did it for all of season one, in fact. And my stats were a hell of a lot better because of it.

I tried arguing this point privately, and got nowhere, which is fine. The admins can make their own decisions. This is simply what I feel I must do in all good conscience as someone who expects my students to use proper grammar or get their stuff edited before it is ready for publication. It also happens, quite conveniently, to fit my own preferences as an authorial control freak. I'm sorry if anyone's feelings have been hurt in the process.

It's not a big deal. I'm only explaining this ad nauseum because I don't want you to think I have any issues with JustTripn or anybody here that fall into the realm of the personal. I don't. They can run this site however they like, and I'm still very glad it exists.
Image.Image

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Alelou wrote:I tried arguing this point privately, and got nowhere, which is fine.

So I'm not the only one who's bitten on granite :? I'm happy that you won't abandon us, but I'm still sad that veterans (in a positive sense) like you feel thats TriS isn't up to the job anymore. First we had Aquarius leave, now you think ff.net is the better place to go. TriS has been my #1 site for almost two years now. It hurts to see my heroes leave - even if only partially :(

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:44 pm

And the fact that it's ff.net with no quality control whatsoever is a bit stinging. If you said you were going to post them first at Aquarius and Honeybee's new site. That would make sense, since we all know they have extremely high standards of quality. You can't blame us for being confused.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:52 pm

WarpGirl wrote:And the fact that it's ff.net with no quality control whatsoever is a bit stinging. If you said you were going to post them first at Aquarius and Honeybee's new site. That would make sense, since we all know they have extremely high standards of quality. You can't blame us for being confused.

WG, what (by my impression) Alelou wants is some sort of measure, how many people do read her stories. Neither TriS nor Aquarius's Delphic Expanse have that. Only ff.net gives you a detailled statistic. Not counting that it takes no longer than 3 days to implement, ff.net is the only fanfiction site to provide such service.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:58 pm

May I add my voice to the clamor?

First Alelou, like Kotik I regard you as my Hero. Your writing is superb. I know that you post on FF net and have for some time so that is not unusual. I want you to stay and post your stories on Trisilk for selfish reasons. I find it easier to go to the Trisilk Archive to reread your stories whenever I want to. I have trited to learn from your writings but so far not much success in that. But your example of superior writing is stimulating.

Please regard me as a devout fan of yours.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:03 pm

Double post. I had asked about soome sort of counting reads of stories and how many have looked at the story but my not have read it. Was told not possible or not feasible.

However, in the threads there is a list of how many replies to a post and how many have looked at it. If that is possible why not the other things. Sorry for the lack of clarity but my mind is mush right now. comes with age.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:10 pm

Kotik wrote:WG, what (by my impression) Alelou wants is some sort of measure, how many people do read her stories. Neither TriS nor Aquarius's Delphic Expanse have that. Only ff.net gives you a detailled statistic. Not counting that it takes no longer than 3 days to implement, ff.net is the only fanfiction site to provide such service.

Haven't been there yet, so I didn't know. Well I agree that the stats page is pretty awesome, and the e-mails you get. But speaking from experience with the KOTOR site, when you do have that, it's sickly easy to hack. And after two hacking jobs, done on that site, my ego takes a back seat.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:15 pm

You are being very sweet, and all I can say is that (assuming they are still welcome) my stories will still come here, of course. Just not for the first run. Who knows, they might even improve before they get here, since I tend to make some tweaks between the first and second posts. That's really the only difference.

I think that expecting a site like this to provide fully functional user stats is a bit much. I think we should be grateful it has the technical support it does have. TS is not advertiser-supported. There are some individuals who pitch in some bucks, and a lot of other individuals who pitch in to do what needs doing, and there are fewer of them lately. The tech guys here earn nothing for their labor but our gratitude, and they have mine. So do the admins who post stories.

And no, I don't have any plans to post at Delphic Expanse. I have nothing against them, but I'm just not interested in other 'ships or in slash. If I put any extra time online at this point it should probably be into visiting my Facebook page more than twice a year.
Image.Image

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Double post. I had asked about soome sort of counting reads of stories and how many have looked at the story but my not have read it. Was told not possible or not feasible.
SB

You were lied to. Such a feature can be implemented within a maximum of 3 days. There are several features, which could improve TriS, that could be implemented in a matter of very few days, which makes me rather bitter, because I offered such help about a dozen times. There's no way to tell, if a person really read your story, but you can count, how many took a look at it.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:21 pm

Yeah but some hackers are mean! :evil: Sorry. I'm just having visions of this site being gone for months and months because some hacker got in through the stats page. Been there done that, do not want it!

Fics

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:26 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Yeah but some hackers are mean! :evil: Sorry. I'm just having visions of this site being gone for months and months because some hacker got in through the stats page. Been there done that, do not want it!

You only can "hack" a stats page if the programmer left it open to SQL-injection, in which case you shouldn't have gone with that specific progger in the first place ;-)

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”