The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

T'Arwen
Ensign
Ensign
Show On Map: No

Re: As a reader % drives me nuts!

Postby T'Arwen » Sat May 19, 2018 7:36 pm

This article tells me that Zora Neale Hurston would agree with you dialee and not with most of us. Her publisher wanted her to write Cudjo Lewis's biography without an accent and she refused. I have to admit the excerpt in New York magazine was a little hard to read but when Cudjo calls his master Cap'n, I immediately thought of Trip.

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/08/60912637 ... erstanding

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Sun May 20, 2018 12:52 pm

That's okay, as long as she understood she was reducing the pool of potential readers by her choice. In this case I side with the publisher.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sun May 20, 2018 4:20 pm

My pet peeve? Writing in the present tense. Fortunately not many people do it, but it makes the story very difficult to get into. I've read a few stories written as though they were the script for a screenplay which were similarly unreadable.

Poor grammar is another one, some writers use run-on sentences all over the place, it keeps throwing me out of the narrative.

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Tue May 22, 2018 2:39 am

If you prefer the standard English to gain the most readership, then what do you think of the audiobooks today where one voice tries to play all the characters of the books in fiction. Does it irritate you or (takes you out of the story) when a male voice plays the female character or vice-versa?
Frankly, it does for me which is why audiobooks are only good for non-fiction.

Poor grammar, inappropriate use of words (meditation, mediation) drives me batty. It implies to me that the author was not careful enough and relied on Microsoft Word too much.

I know this isn't done but the subject is what drives a reader nuts. If there is going to be a substantial time between chapters, could you give your readers a hint. Most of the time, the reason is you're devoting a lot of time to writing and not being paid monetarily. All true but also recognize that some readers also devote a lot emotionally to stories which they have bonded with and to wait sometimes, years.

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Wed May 23, 2018 10:13 pm

:tsktsk: Major guilt rush! :oops:

I apologize profusely to any and every one who's try to read my story. I've got a start on the next chapter, but it's been slow going. (Since it's been over two years, it guess that somewhat of an understatement. :duh: ) I do have a pretty fair idea of how things are going to end. I'll try to do a better job of moving forward in a timely fashion. Once again, I do apologize.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Wed May 23, 2018 11:23 pm

I'm never going to criticize a writer for being too slow!

I've got a whole pile of stories written in my head and waiting for me to get round to actually writing them, and most of them are no closer to being finished than they were this time last year. :(

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Thu May 24, 2018 2:57 am

Dinah and others...

Believe me, it was not meant to make you feel guilty or to pressure you but I'm one of those readers who literally check everyday for stories that I read. So when y'all post a chapter, maybe you could include a note sentence something like the next one is still in your head or its in your beta's hands... It's good to manage expectations.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Tue May 29, 2018 1:36 am

Too bad there's not a contest for slowest writer, because I think I'd be a finalist...

But I'm also a reader, and I completely understand how hard it is to endure those lengthy periods between updates for those stories that you love. So even though my follow-on chapters can be a long time in coming, I do feel really Really REALLY guilty about the wait.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

73Bruin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby 73Bruin » Tue May 29, 2018 7:29 pm

I can certainly understand time demands, but I do miss my fan fiction fixes. At this point the House of Tucker and the Delphic Expanse are in Archival status. I have lost the ability to publish new stories here, so as far as I know the remaining Enterprise related fan fiction sites where stories can be published are FanFiction.net and A03. I know a few authors also have their own sites (like Rigel), but finding things has become difficult. I would just ask that when any of you post a new chapter that you come here to let us know where it can be found.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:38 pm

I can't shame anyone for being slow. For one, I have you all beat for the record of being the worlds slowest fan fic writer: my last post to my one unfinished stpry being like 4 or 5 years ago (I'll finish it one day dammit!) And two, everyone has a life to live. Nothing wrong with that :)
Writing as TrekPyro.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Technically you can submit stuff to The Guardian of Forever on SciFi-Online.org, but since no one has done so for a very long time, I don't check the submission email very often, and it'd probably be a while before I could get it up on the website.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:28 pm

When your fandom is a literal cartoon with talking animals and the writer has to go complete Vulcan on you.

Um, tell a joke please?
Last edited by CoffeeCat on Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Writing as TrekPyro.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:51 pm

Literally most fan fiction lately.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”