The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Polly Farr and season V?

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:06 am

If there were a season V, does anyone think they would've had a Polly!Farr story for TnT?

I'm thinking the creepers behind the scenes probably would've went there because they had no problem auditioning the thought in "A Mirror Darkly".

And it might've kinda sucked because:

They would've used it for the sake of showing the Hot!Babe!In!Heat(tm). Hell, given their track record, tptb would've thrown plot and continuity right out the airlock for this particular cliche'.

The might've also used it to make fun of Trip. Because haha Trip + Alien-sex-issues always = funny in their minds.

And they probably would find a way to showcase Super!Archer(tm) (even thow it would be Trip actually helping her).

Am I close?
Thoughts?
Ya think Mannie Coto would've put his foot down at this point?
Writing as TrekPyro.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Re: Polly Farr and season V?

Postby Transwarp » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:32 pm

I have no idea, really. But given the show's history, I would not bet my own money against ANY of your assertions!
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Well I'm thinking maybe I'm being a little too critical. The show did improve a lot after Mannie Coto jumped on board.

I could tolerate them making fun of Trip a little bit, and Hot!T'Pol is fine as long as she's hot for Trip...but that Super!Archer shit drives me nuts.
Writing as TrekPyro.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:17 pm

Season V and Polly Farr? - I sure hope not. Also because we all know Pon Farr is a male condition and only with a virus or when a woman meets her "man" can see develop Pon Farr... ;-)
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:39 pm

panyasan wrote:Season V and Polly Farr? - I sure hope not. Also because we all know Pon Farr is a male condition and only with a virus or when a woman meets her "man" can see develop Pon Farr... ;-)

I don't think B&B ever GAF about canon since Roddenberry told them to think of TOS as apochyphal when they were making TNG.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:29 pm

I know there's disagreement in the fan community, but I didn't think that "pon farr is only experienced by Vulcan males" was ever established canon. I recall there was a thread about it on this forum way back when, but I'm too lazy to look for it...
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:55 pm

Well my view on "canon" is that anyone with an imagination can write themselves out of the beliefs widely held by the majority of fans.

As far as Pon Farr is concerned, it was said in Star Trek III "Vulcan males must endure it every seventh year of their adult life."

But as a fanfic writer, I could counter that by saying, "but the females must endure it every two."

or I could write an elaborate story about why Saavik might've just flat out lied to David on that point.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:04 pm

This is an old write-up I made regarding female pon farr (it also relates to the Koss marriage):

Vulcan females don't experience pon farr on their own. They only enter pon farr after it has been triggered by a Vulcan male already "in heat". On VOY we had Vorik inducing it in B'Elanna. Now, granted she wasn't a Vulcan but his actions (the melding thing) pretty much told us how it would've worked had he had a Vulcan mate there.

In Bounty T'Pol was induced into a faux pon farr by some virus (or whatever it was) in much the same way a Vulcan male in pon farr would have done. When she said "it's not yet the time", I took that to mean that it wasn't the time since she had no mate going through pon farr (or any mate at all) at the time.

There is also nothing that explicitly says that she was betrothed to Koss when they were seven. In Breaking the Ice she just mentions that Vulcans generally are betrothed at that age. Since she's in her mid-sixties and still hasn't married Koss I gather that they were betrothed when she was an adult. It makes no sense for them to wait 60 years between betrothal as children and marriage, since Koss would've entered a lot of pon farrs before then.

So I suppose she was betrothed to someone else at age 7 but that her intended mate died before they could marry and that for some reason she wasn't betrothed to anyone else before Koss came along. It is also possible (but a bit unlikely since that should've been mentioned on the show) that she did marry - and perhaps even had children - before the time of ENT.

I don't think that Koss was nearing pon farr at the time of Breaking the Ice, or even in Home. So there is no discrepancy between not marrying Koss in BTI but still doing so a couple of years later in Home. Presumably Vulcan families would want to avoid marriages when the spouses-to-be are in heat (potentially messy as TOS Amok Time showed us). Better to marry between pon farrs so that the spouses can connect and get to know each other (as the "one year rule" states).
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Thanks KTR. I've always thought since Voyager came out with "blood fever" that females only enter it when triggered by a male. The idea does jive with "Amok Time" when Spock said, ...they would BOTH be drawn to Koon ut Kali Fee.

The age thing tho... Spock's age was never really mentioned on screen in TOS, but it was always assumed by fans because of the TOS novels that he was in his 60s when he began his first Pon Farr in Amok Time.
Writing as TrekPyro.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Personally, I do think that femal Pon Farr doesn't fit very well by biological standards. I mean, if Vulcan biology follows the same logic like human biology, Pon Farr seems to be a very testosterone driving force. The Vulcan version of testosterone of course, to be find by males.

I always have the feeling that the writers of ENT didn't care much of Vulcan culture or Vulcans in general and didn't care if their writing was logical in this respect.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:12 pm

I suppose you could think of it that way, panyasen, since it is said to begin with the males.

I've usually thought of it a dam breaking under pressure. The Vulcan emotional barriers being the dam and pent up emotion being the water as it's held back, and the Pon Farr being the water after the dam breaks. Which would be why Romulans might not go thru it.

Captain Kirk speculated that it was the "price they pay for having no emotions the rest of the time."
Writing as TrekPyro.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:41 pm

CoffeeCat wrote:Thanks KTR. I've always thought since Voyager came out with "blood fever" that females only enter it when triggered by a male. The idea does jive with "Amok Time" when Spock said, ...they would BOTH be drawn to Koon ut Kali Fee.

The age thing tho... Spock's age was never really mentioned on screen in TOS, but it was always assumed by fans because of the TOS novels that he was in his 60s when he began his first Pon Farr in Amok Time.

Well, according to the officially licensed Star Trek Encyclopedia, Spock was born in 2230 and experienced his first pon farr (Amok Time) in 2267. That makes him 37 at the time, which is quite old for a Vulcan. But then he himself also states that he'd hoped that he might be spared this, presumably due to his human half. That half might explain why the onset was delayed.

As far as T'Pring, she was calm as a cucumber through all this, which tells he that she didn't experience blood fever herself. The only draw she might have felt was through a very tenuous bond they got when they were betrothed at age 7. Had they actually mated, i.e. had he melded with her, that's when she would also have into pon farr.

That's my theory at least.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:32 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Well, according to the officially licensed Star Trek Encyclopedia, Spock was born in 2230 and experienced his first pon farr (Amok Time) in 2267. That makes him 37 at the time, which is quite old for a Vulcan. But then he himself also states that he'd hoped that he might be spared this, presumably due to his human half. That half might explain why the onset was delayed.

I'll be damned. Memory-alpha says the same thing.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Spock

My bad :)
Writing as TrekPyro.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:47 am

And T'Pring was probably already bonded to Stonn. I read somewhere that the actress actually played her like she was concealing a pregnancy.

Anyhow, more on T'Pring here:
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/T%27Pring

I want to note that I really hate how Trek novelists handle her. They always act like she "owed" something to Spock just because she called the Kal-if-Fee. They always write about her like she was a cruel heartless bitch.

But it was her right. Her body. Her choice. And what about Spock? Clearly she didn't want him. Surely he had enough time to find another mate before his time.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 pm

CoffeeCat wrote:But it was her right. Her body. Her choice. And what about Spock? Clearly she didn't want him. Surely he had enough time to find another mate before his time.

Well, apparently this was the only course of action left to her if she didn't want to marry Spock, so I don't really blame her either. Even Spock said to her afterwards that it was purely logical (in the context of Vulcan customs).

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”