Why would Starfleet separate TnT?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Why would Starfleet separate TnT?

Postby CX » Sat May 05, 2007 6:11 am

pookha wrote:part of how i see this comes from tos having married couples.

TOS has larger ships and they may simply allow married couples to be posted together. Fratenization has to do with people who are within the same chain of command, though apparently by TOS even those rules no longer apply.

and back in breaking the ice we see archer doesnt have a overtly strict feelings about it.

No, but T'Pol does in ANiS. Wink

ARCHER: Whatever friction there's been between us, I'd like to try to minimise it.
T'POL: Friction is to be expected whenever people work in close quarters for extended periods of time.
ARCHER: I guess that's always been true. Especially when the people are of the opposite sex.
T'POL: Then it's good that you're my superior officer. That we're not in a position to allow ourselves to become attracted to one another, hypothetically. If we were, the friction that you speak of could be much more problematic. (leaves)

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun May 06, 2007 5:55 am

to HtH:

I honestly think you're kind of overstating any issues that would exist with T'Pol being a Captain. Once she's a Starfleet officer, which she already is, Vulcan doesn't have a damn thing in the world to say about it, plus they've already gone through a regime-change and they're much more friendly towards Earth now. They're less involved in "overseeing" our projects, less invasive, not trying to control our space development nearly as much. Concerns about classified data she might be in possession of would rapidly become a moot point as the Vulcans choose to share more and more technology. Plus, that concern really is already a reality once she's a 2ic. And as long as the Vulcans were on our side in the Romulan conflict, which they are, the anti-Vulcan sentiment for their neutrality in the Xindi attack, which is already 3-4 years ago by this time, would immediately start to diminish.

To be frank, I don't think anybody on Earth would know. Who sits around today, even while we're at war, and waits for the latest MARADMIN report to find out who the new Commandant of the Marine Corps is? Can you name any of the admirals or ship's captains out at sea right now? I mean it's ridiculous to think we'd know that isn't it? The same is true of the average person, civilians wouldn't be paying attention to that mess.

And actually, in my universe, whether or not other admirals want T'Pol is irrelevant though, because Archer's the one who promotes her.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun May 06, 2007 6:00 am

She's the first alien member of Starfleet, and she'd be the first alien to command a human ship, so, yeah, the press would probably make a big deal out of it.

pookha
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby pookha » Sun May 06, 2007 8:23 am

there is something that complicates a relationship between a captain and either the first officer or chief medical officer.
starfleet order starfleet order 104 which applies both in tos and enterprise.

when the medical officer makes an entry about the fitness of the captain it requires a witness of command grade normally the first officer.
the first officer also on their own can call a competency hearing

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Show On Map: No

Postby hth2k » Tue May 08, 2007 4:31 am

Write it the way that rings true for you. What ever you choose some will agree and some will not.

It is your story. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

HtH

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue May 08, 2007 7:24 am

Yeah, I'll be interested to see what everyone thinks about what I have to say on the subject... In my story that is. I've finished it and turned it in, but it's going to be a few days before it's up here because I have finals to worry about now. Probably this coming weekend or the immediately following few days after that.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu May 17, 2007 4:04 pm

Elessar wrote:I honestly think you're kind of overstating any issues that would exist with T'Pol being a Captain.

I don't. I think his points are all entirely valid. Look at the early episodes of season 1 and how the human crew dealt (or rather, didn't deal) with a Vulcan XO (ignoring the absurdity of that whole scenario.) Now ramp that up into a full blown combat situation with a crew that hasn't spent 4 years learning to accept and trust her. There is nothing more important in a combat unit than trust, and as we've seen in Demons and Terra Prime, there is still a xenophobic section of humanity that hates and fears aliens. Logic dictates that there is going to be some people in the service who feel the same way.

Plus, that concern really is already a reality once she's a 2ic.

Don't get me started on that nonsense. Rolling Eyes

To be frank, I don't think anybody on Earth would know. Who sits around today, even while we're at war, and waits for the latest MARADMIN report to find out who the new Commandant of the Marine Corps is? Can you name any of the admirals or ship's captains out at sea right now? I mean it's ridiculous to think we'd know that isn't it? The same is true of the average person, civilians wouldn't be paying attention to that mess.

With all due respect, she's not human so, as CX correctly pointed out, the news media is going to have a field day with her species. Based on how journalists seem to operate for the most part, her image as the first Vulcan Starfleet captain is going to be everywhere and they'll go out of their way to interview people who don't think she's capable. Factor in the politicians back home who are anti-war and you've got even more issues.

Another thing to consider is thus: what about the other officers who have more time in grade and time in service? It's not likely that they're just going to shrug it off when an alien who has been in Starfleet for what? A year? Is suddenly promoted ahead of them. That's going to lead to discontent in the ranks, and, as we've seen in real life, the officers who aren't happy are going to go to the media and complain under conditions of anonymity. It's already hard enough to swallow the nonsense about her outranking Trip (in season 3, especially, but also in season 4 since he's got time in service and time in grade on her).

And actually, in my universe, whether or not other admirals want T'Pol is irrelevant though, because Archer's the one who promotes her.

Okay, I simply cannot allow that pass. You're joining the Marines, right? You know that it doesn't work like that. Did Archer suddenly seize power in a coup? He can't make an arbitrary promotion like that without support from Starfleet Command, and based on the above-mentioned issues with other Starfleet officers, I can't see them just backing her promotion like that. Realistically, I can't see SFC promoting her to captain for quite a while, if at all.

The only way I really can see something like that is if its a joint-service ship with a crew made up of half Vulcans and half humans. In that case, she'd be ideal to serve as the commanding officer.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

aeverett
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby aeverett » Fri May 18, 2007 7:55 am

I think you're all reading to much into this. It all boils down to regulations. If there are regulations, then Star Fleet would discipline and seperate them. If it isn't, they wouldn't. If it was a 'don't ask, don't tell' thing, they'd only get in trouble if they tried to formalize it or if they acted publically. I think, however, it's a don't ask, don't tell thing, considering Archer's answer about dating on Enterprise in 'Breaking the Ice', and the fact, that according to Malcolm in 'Harbinger', the RUMORS of TnT were flying around the ship like crazy, and no formal action was taking, not even a lecture from Archer.

However, it ultimately comes down to regulations. Who the people involved are really makes no difference unless they are caught. TnT are professionals. The next first officer and chief engineer who are emboldened by the TnT situation are gonna be the idiots who would do it on the warp core mid-alpha-shift. Regulations are for everyone, so that responsible people like TnT and idiots like the above, have clear guidelines.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri May 18, 2007 11:40 am

Didn't I mention regs in my first reply? Confused Until he Terra Prime thing, Archer could've kept his head turned the other way. But now that the secret is out, so to speak, Archer can no longer keep it isolated to his ship.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri May 18, 2007 1:58 pm

I am not sure their relationship is public after Terra Prime. Wouldn't it be public knowledge that the DNA was stollen and the child was not a product of a physical relationship between the 'donors' of the DNA? Without actually admitting to a relationship, I think Trip and T'Pol could continue with one under a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy. That is, if Archer was supportive of them.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Shakabutt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Shakabutt » Fri May 18, 2007 5:52 pm

i think some people knew about their realtionship even before TP ,how did Song found out about them ?the media i think

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri May 18, 2007 6:02 pm

Darn, I will have to rewatch the episodes and see. I just went through the first two years, and am starting on the third year. I will look for clues as to who might be aware of the relationship. The third 'loss of innocence' year is so dark it is hard to watch. I love the fourth year, but guess I should just take the episodes in order.

Oh, I am eagerly waiting for KTRs reviews of the rest of the third year.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri May 18, 2007 6:07 pm

Linda wrote:Oh, I am eagerly waiting for KTRs reviews of the rest of the third year.

Why, thank you! Smile

But I only make one each week. I'll probably put up the next one - Exile - tomorrow.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

aeverett
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby aeverett » Fri May 18, 2007 8:24 pm

Shakabutt wrote:i think some people knew about their realtionship even before TP ,how did Song found out about them ?the media i think
Soong was a genius, if a mad genius. He either saw something in the way the two interacted, one of his 'sources' in prison has connections on Enterprise, or if the media was involved, it was some sort of tabloid thing.

If Star Fleet had gotten the idea to take one or both off Enterprise, Archer would have protested the decision, and in the absense of actual proof, that is the 'don't tell' part, they'd likely go with the 'don't ask' credo. After all, pulling TnT from Enterprise would be an admission that the rumors were authentic, or at least that Star Fleet command believed them to be. Not to mention the Vulcans would likely have pressured Star Fleet to keep T'Pol on Enterprise for the same reason. In short, tabloid gossip would likely strengthen TnT remaining on board, so long as they remained discrete. Any censure by Star Fleet Command or the Vulcans would take the story from tattletale rag fodder to headline news faster than a warp coil.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon May 21, 2007 5:28 am

YMAM went up!

[/shameless plug]

Very Happy
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me