Fic Challenges

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Bether6074
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Fic Challenges

Postby Bether6074 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:26 pm

I really like challenges. They help nudge my brain and get me writing. Are we going to continue with them here at Triaxian Silk? What's the new abbreviation? TriSi?

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:50 pm

I like the challenges also. The "Buying a Clue-pon" one was probably my favorite - I've still got an unfinished Archer POV fic on my hard drive for that challenge that, hopefully, I'll finish someday...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:27 pm

Clipping the Coupon's story contest I really liked the different Ideas folks came up with some really imaginative and creative stories I hope challenges for fanfics will continue I enjoy reading them.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:01 am

I should probably not propose a challenge, since I've never written for one, but what I'd like to see would be stories about secondary characters closely related to Trip and T'Pol, stories that do not necessarily focus on Trip and T'Pol. How about stories about the Cogenitor, Lorian, Kov, Soval, T'Les, or Amanda, that focus primarily on the concerns of those characters, rather than on their interactions with Trip and T'Pol, which may or may not be central to the story?

For instance, I'd love to know why exactly why the Cogenitor decided to end his/her life or how Lorian became the captain of Enterprise.

It would give us something fresh to work with.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:53 pm

Those are some inspiring suggestion, JusTrip'n. I love to see the secondary characters have their day. Also I liked the clipping Clue pons challenge. It got me writing more often.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:07 pm

That's a good point JT - and we should definitely have a challenge. Keep posting ideas and soon we'll post one, but we need some time to figure one out Smile

Kenshin
Imager

Postby Kenshin » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:46 am

I always wondered how a meeting between T'Pol and Trip's sister would have been like. Maybe that's something for a challenge.
Last edited by Kenshin on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:53 am

that sounds like a good idea, maybe we should do that.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:39 pm

The inherent problem with a challenge like that, IMO, is that it's pretty limiting; I don't know about you, but I personally don't care for the idea of reading the same basic story over and over again. Look at the Fix the Finale challenges; despite the relative success of that challenge, how many of them were really, really similar in tone or style? It really did get to the point where far too many of them used the same basic principles and weren't different enough from one another to really stand out. Ditto that with the recent challenge (that Distracted dominated) with the emulating famous authors; I think it's safe to say that there are number of us who have enough problems writing in our own style to start copying someone else's style. (I give Dis a dark and envious look at her ability to do so before grumbling something under my breath.)

Compare those challenges with the spectacular success of the "Buying a Clue-pon" fic. We had POVs from Porthos to Enterprise herself, and nearly all of them were unique enough to stand alone.

I'd be tempted to recommend that we actually go for an entirely different kind of challenge, perhaps an "Angst-free" challenge, or a "It's Not What It Looks Like" kind of challenge, or even a "When Landing Parties Go Awry" (sort of a humor challenge, maybe)to try and bring back the simply joy of TnT. Ragua's Miscommunication immediately leaps to mind in that it tells a story but is funny! Ditto that with ShouldKnowBetter's It Shouldn't Happen to an Engineer.

But, that's just my not so humble opinion...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:24 pm

No one liked the "We'll Always Have Vulcan" contest? Sad

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:37 am

It was just so SAD, CX.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:54 am

Very Happy yes please bring back stories that are angst free joyful Trip and T'Pol we know and love please. We could use more stories with fun & humor and romance thrown in.I like Ragua's Miscommunication and Should Know Better's humorous story as well. Cx I liked your story and Dinah's story as well.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:25 am

Rigil Kent wrote:I give Dis a dark and envious look at her ability to do so before grumbling something under my breath.

Ummm... Rigil? I probably don't want to know this, but did I make an enemy? I thought the SFF challenge was SO much fun. :banana:
I'm sorry you didn't think so. I kept waiting for people to try it, but after a while I figured that everyone was just too busy or something, so I did it myself. It honestly never occurred to me that you genuinely didn't think you could do it. (I still think you could've, though.)

(Exactly what are you grumbling under your breath, BTW? Inquiring minds want to know. Wink )
Image sig by chrisis1033

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:46 am

Distracted wrote:
Rigil Kent wrote:I give Dis a dark and envious look at her ability to do so before grumbling something under my breath.

Ummm... Rigil? I probably don't want to know this, but did I make an enemy?

Nah ... I'm just amazed that you were able to emulate different styles as well as you did. I can barely write in my own style, so the idea of writing in someone else's style ... geez ...

(Exactly what are you grumbling under your breath, BTW? Inquiring minds want to know. Wink )

It wasn't anything intelligible. Something like "grumble, grumble, mutter, complain...

And I kind of agree with Distracted in regards to the "We'll Always Have Vulcan" challenge. I mean, it's bad enough that HoT was closing it's doors, but the challenge itself? Uh ... Trip doesn't exactly have good memories of Vulcan, you know? His memories of that planet pretty much include seeing the love of his life marrying another man. Yuck.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:19 pm

Well, that's a relief. I hate making enemies. It just ruins my whole day.

Okay... Hmmm... a CHEERFUL challenge. That's a tough one with this couple, you realize that, don't you?

How about the "Rubbing Off On Each Other" challenge? Stories focused on the ways that T'Pol became more like a Human or Trip became more like a Vulcan after the bond... or even before the bond just from proximity. That could be funny, don't ya think?
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”