The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Misanthropic's new story - Reflecting To You

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:24 am

They sort of go hand in hand anymore. That's my boggle, and it's why I so loved MissAnnThropic's We Grieve.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:42 am

Rigil Kent wrote:They sort of go hand in hand anymore. That's my boggle, and it's why I so loved MissAnnThropic's We Grieve.

I am still with you.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:53 am

Same here.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:15 pm

Agreed about We Grieve.

HopefulRomantic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby HopefulRomantic » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:25 pm

I was going to wait until more of the story was posted, but after scanning through the posts here and at HoT, seeing the wildly divergent reactions, I got curious.

My initial impression is that MissAnnThropic has only begun to tell her story, and I, for one, am happy to grant her the artistic freedom to go wherever she chooses, no matter what she may have done with this arena in previous works. That she is weaving the MU and TOS into the mix indicates that this story may likely be quite different than what anyone expects.

My take on T'Pol's journey to Mt. Seleya after Elizabeth's funeral: Trip himself realized he was reacting on two levels about it, the intellectual and the emotional. He is mature enough to understand that he doesn't understand Vulcanness completely yet hurt enough to feel abandoned. I think a part of him wishes T'Pol understood his needs a little better at this point. But hey, this was only one line. Then it was followed by a sweet passage about how Trip felt more accepted passing his time on Vulcan than he would have on Earth. That was something I don't normally see in fanfiction, and it made me smile.

Back on Enterprise, reading how Trip and T'Pol sit at the same table in the mess hall, unable to find anything to say to each other, hardly even looking at each other--but still drawn to be in each other's company (and MissAnnThropic makes a point of saying that T'Pol seeks out Trip if he doesn't find her first)...this is not "angst for angst's sake" to my read. This is profound, heart-shattering grief, the result of a life-changing loss. MAT has captured it perfectly. T'Pol isn't "pushing Trip away." She's right there, but even more helpless to cope with the loss than he is. My guess is that if she tried to open up about it, the scenario she spoke about in "The Forgotten" would come to pass, and she would be overwhelmed completely by her emotions. I think she's keeping herself under tight control in order to function at all. Trip, being more accustomed to emotions, is doing a better job, and he's still in terrible shape.

Sure, this is sad. If it weren't, the writer would not be doing justice to the material. But oh, the writing style! The imagery, the emotions roiling under the surface of the words. Breathtaking.

Just keep doing what you're doing, MissAnnThropic. Listen to that muse and type away. :)

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:25 pm

All I intemded to convey is that I will read it when it is complete rather than piecemeal.

HtH

Content; 100% recycled letters and words.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:29 am

Hey MissAnnThropic: HopefulRomantic said it better than I could. Especially about keeping on typing.

No matter what the relationship of Our Favorite Couple might ever become, the death of Elizabeth would always be one of it's key events, and always a good point to start a story.

And I've nerver thought T'Pol ever meant to hurt Trip, or treat him like dirt.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

pookha
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby pookha » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:32 am

right now i am with the i will wait till it is finished to read it.
it just drives me crazy that tpol didnt even attempt to explain vulcan mourning to trip and try to make him a part of it.
she didnt know they were bonded when she lost tles but now she does.

see i can give a pass about certain things to the authors of tgtmd because they dont have total control over what they would like to write. they have to appease viacom to a degree.

but a fan ficttion author can do what they please so i dont understand this kicking trip aside like happened on vulcan . especially after the end scene of terra prime.

boushh
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby boushh » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:53 pm

I didn't see it as her kicking him aside... more as her trying to protect herself. There is still room in fanfic for this scenario... I don't think it's implausible or overdone.

Anyway, there is still going to be more going on in the story I think, judging from the summary and from what I've read that's coming up.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:14 pm

Hopeful romantic did a great job summing up things happening between Trip & T'Pol dealing with their daughters loss. Boushh just a quick question will the next part involve RU T'Pol's pov. I don't want spoilers I'm just curious if it's going to be about her dealing with the events laid out in the story so far.

MissAnnThropic
Ensign
Ensign

Postby MissAnnThropic » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:56 am

Just wanted to jump in here and put in my two cents.

Not to give away too much at this early stage in the story, but you will see T'Pol's POV on the death of Elizabeth and how she's "coping" with the aftermath soon (within the next few chapters). I will say that the 'protecting herself' scenario is more correct than the 'kicking Trip aside' scenario. Certain idiotic canon moments aside (like the Trellium D addiction story-line), I love T'Pol's character too much to drag her through the dirt like that (at least not without good reason).

MissAnnThropic

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:35 am

Pretty much what I expected. I knew you wouldn't let us down. :D
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:56 am

Eagerly awaiting the rest of the story. :D
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:12 pm

:D Thanks MissAnnThropic that's what I'd hope you'd tell us about T'Pol coping with what's happened to her & Trip.

Zane Gray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Zane Gray » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:18 pm

I'm very intrigued by this story. I don't mind angst at all, as long as it has a point. Hope the story continues soon.
Zane Gray

"I'll see you again after this Romulan business is finished. I promise."

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”