The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Transwarp
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Essential 'Enterprise'

Postby Transwarp » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:57 pm

My wife has never seen a single episode of Enterprise, and only has a passing familiarity with Star Trek (Original Series or Next Generation). Not what you might call a die-hard fan. (She also wonders why I spend my time writing fan fiction when I *could* be writing my own potentially-marketable stuff. I think others on this board have probably heard *that* from people they know.)

Anyway, If she were to attempt to read my fan fics, I don't think she would fare very well without a basic understanding of the show's characters and background. So, here's the challenge:

What are the essential episodes that a person unfamiliar with Trek lore would need to view to be sufficiently informed of ST:ENT that they could start reading, understanding and (I would hope) appreciating Enterprise fan fics (and in particular TnT fics)?

Broken Bow (s1E1) would certainly be on the list, but beyond that? Probably The Andorian Incident (s1e7), Shadow's of P'Jem (s1e15), Fusion (s1e17), The Seventh (s2e7), The Expanse (s2e26), Impulse (s3e05), Similitude (s3e10), Harbinger (s3e15), Azati Prime (s3e18), Damage (s3e19), E2 (s3e21), Zero Hour (s3e24), Home (s4e3), Borderland (s4e4), Forge (s4e7), Awakening (s4e5), Kirshara (s4e9), Babel One (s4e12), United (s4e13), Aenar (s4e14), Bound (s4e17), and Terra Prime (s4e22).

Is there a case to be made for adding episodes from other series to the list? (for example, 'Balance of Terror' from TOS, which explains the 'Don't Know What Romulans Look Like' canon)

Any additions or deletions to my list above? I notice I only had 2 episodes from season 2... Surely there were more episodes worthy of inclusion. Also, I am shooting for a list that will provide the necessary understanding of the show's character's strengths and weaknesses and motivations and backgrounds, not necessarily a list of the 'best' episodes. Since I aim for it to be the 'essentials', I'm striving for brevity.

Thoughts, ideas or recommendations?
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Re: Essential 'Enterprise'

Postby Weeble » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:52 pm

Hell of an idea Transwarp. I will put some thought to this.
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Hmm. You're hoping she'll get into it, right? I might add "Strange New World," and (if she seems to be getting into it), "Breaking the Ice." I'd also consider removing "The Seventh" unless she's already hooked by then. You could just tell her what she needs to know for that one. You could probably summarize some of the later stuff, too, like the Vulcan arc. But if she's not hooked on TnT by "Home," I'd personally give up on the project.

My husband never reads my stuff. (This includes the real fic, although occasionally he'll read one of my short stories.) He just doesn't read fiction. He barely reads anything but New York State regulations and other stuff that applies to his job. It's a little depressing compared to what I see from other authors who have real enthusiasm and support from their spouses, but it also means I have a strange sort of privacy to just do what I want and not worry about what he might think about it.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:01 pm

My list is too long but.....its also a bit TnT and light on Archer, mostly 'cause he's always around any way.

Enterprise Must List

Broken Bow
Breaking the Ice
Sleeping Dogs
Shadows of P’Jem
Fusion
Fallen Hero
Carbon Creek
Precious Cargo
Dawn
Stigma
Cogenitor
The Expanse
The Xindi
Impulse
North Star
Similitude
Proving Ground
Harbinger
Doctor's Orders
Damage
The Forgotten
E2
Home
Daedelus
The Aenar
Bound
Demons/Terra Prime

From TOS

Amok Time
Balance of Terror

I dumped the "Vulcan" Arc in Season4 and the "Babel One" arc as well. Don't get me wrong they are good episodes, but trying to whittle down the list and its still a mile long am having second thoughts about adding "The Andorian Incident". "Dawn" is included only as a Trip-centric and could be dropped. "Fallen Hero" is included to show that Vulcans are unique individuals.
I think "Sleeping Dogs" is important for Hoshi, Malcolm and T'Pol. "Doctor's Orders" is (to me) a good study of Phlox PLUS excellent Star Trek writing. If Archer-centric is needed then "First Flight" is a good ep.

weeble
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:41 am

I think both Transwarp's list and Weeble's list seem to hit most of the essentials. But the number of episodes on either list might be daunting to someone who is not that interested in Star Trek. Perhaps talk to her as she is watching them to get her reaction to each so you could modify the list as her preference for characters or lack thereof emerges? For the TSO list, I would add Trouble With Tribbles to show the humorous side of Star Trek.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:45 pm

My list needs an overhaul.....its way to long. Trouble with Tribbles MUST always be included, I am an idiot...

Enterprise Must List

Broken Bow
Breaking the Ice
Sleeping Dogs
Fallen Hero
Stigma
Cogenitor
The Expanse
The Xindi
Impulse
Proving Ground
Harbinger