Smut question *grown-ups only* :P

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:39 am

Sounds fun... I can't wait Laughing

Actually, I didn't tell you, I'm thinking about the marine corps officer program when I graduate (college), so I might do the Officer Training thing this summer. My purpose in the end is to fly Smile

Bether6074
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Bether6074 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:38 am

I have to tell you, the whole thing with the alcohol has me majorly confused. I've always read that it was purple grape juice and red wine because of the flavonoids, as I said before. The resveratrol is something that is in the skin of the grapes, I believe, and all of these antioxidants are higher in the dark grapes. So white wine and gin wouldn't be as good. I always thought the benefit was specific to wine because wine is made out of grapes. It frankly is scary to me to think that someone might start to drink alcohol because of these studies or use it as a rationalization to drink alcohol. I've seen first hand, believe me, what abuse of this stuff does. I think it's only a small amount daily that is beneficial. Anything over that isn't good for your heart etc.etc...

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:23 pm

You want to join the Jarines? Shock

ptiboudesucr
Cadet
Cadet

Postby ptiboudesucr » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:22 pm

I think it's only a small amount daily that is beneficial. Anything over that isn't good for your heart

You're right Smile

The studies were made in France. It's good for the cholesterol, the heart and prevent cancer. BUT in the strict limit of one little glass of red wine(15cl) per meal and only the Bordeaux. Smile It's seems that the WHERE you make your wine grow is important. (But it may be because they were no study on other vineyard Twisted Evil)
La perfection n'est pas dans l'homme mais parfois dans ses intentions....

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:57 pm

CX wrote:You want to join the Jarines? Shock

Ignore the wannabe Flyboy, Elessar. He has this whacky notion that the Air Force is actually military instead of Boy Scouts without the knives. Trust me: I live a couple of kilometers from Tinker AFB here in OKC and I'd rather take some Webelos into combat than those pogues. Twisted Evil

There's nothing wrong with the Jarheads. They at least understand that, first and foremost, every member of the Marines needs to be a rifleman (read Infantryman) first. Semper Fidelis. Hoo Rah.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:14 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:
Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
Bether6074 wrote:Maybe the soap is just better over in Europe? Wink

Nah! I think we're just more clean and wash ourselves more frequently than you dirty Yanks do! Razz Wink
Please. I've been to Europe. You guys have France.

Need I say more? Twisted Evil

I stand corrected. But those Cheese Eating Surrender you-know-whats are an exception! Twisted Evil
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:20 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:
CX wrote:You want to join the Jarines? Shock

Ignore the wannabe Flyboy, Elessar. He has this whacky notion that the Air Force is actually military instead of Boy Scouts without the knives. Trust me: I live a couple of kilometers from Tinker AFB here in OKC and I'd rather take some Webelos into combat than those pogues. Twisted Evil

There's nothing wrong with the Jarheads. They at least understand that, first and foremost, every member of the Marines needs to be a rifleman (read Infantryman) first. Semper Fidelis. Hoo Rah.

Hoorah. That's right, every officer candidate - regardless of whether you're going to command a rifle company, a tank division, or a court room in the JAG, or a medic bay as a doctor, or a squadron of AH-1's -- every damn one has to go through the same infantry officer combat training Cool

But to their credit, the AF DOES have elite combat teams right? Base security and such stuff? I mean there really are Airforce Special Forces units like what Jack O'Neill did before the stargate program right?

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:28 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:
Bether6074 wrote:Maybe the soap is just better over in Europe? Wink

Nah! I think we're just more clean and wash ourselves more frequently than you dirty Yanks do! Razz Wink
Please. I've been to Europe. You guys have France.

Need I say more? Twisted Evil

I stand corrected. But those Cheese Eating Surrender you-know-whats are an exception! Twisted Evil

Wait a minute, now guys. I know it's not PC now here in the states to actually LIKE the French, but speaking as someone who has spent some time in the country and actually has friends there, please go easy on the nationality-bashing, okay? Je suis francophone. Les francais sont mes cousins qui j'aime. Got it? Good! Razz

As for the cholesterol and red wine thing, the antioxidants in the wine make it work BETTER than other alcohol, but alcohol of any sort taken in CONTROLLED and limited amounts does actually raise the HDL better than no alcohol at all. That being said, there are no medical authorities that I know of that would actually RECOMMEND that someone start drinking if they don't drink at all. Exercise works MUCH better to raise the HDL and won't get you addicted. The guidelines for moderate alcohol use are intended for those who drink already, and are usually used by physicians to encourage patients who don't want to give up drinking socially to do it in moderation. I never tell my patients who don't drink to start. I write them an exercise prescription.

As far as the military discussion goes... it always amazes me how excited you guys can get over the idea of getting shot at. Seems to me that joining the military is a bad idea in wartime... but that's just me. I suppose somebody's got to drop the bombs. Otherwise, where would we be? At peace, maybe? Heaven forbid! Wink
Image sig by chrisis1033

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:36 pm

ptiboudesucr wrote:
I think it's only a small amount daily that is beneficial. Anything over that isn't good for your heart

You're right Smile

The studies were made in France. It's good for the cholesterol, the heart and prevent cancer. BUT in the strict limit of one little glass of red wine(15cl) per meal and only the Bordeaux. Smile It's seems that the WHERE you make your wine grow is important. (But it may be because they were no study on other vineyard Twisted Evil)

BTW... Bienvenue, ptiboudesucr. Love your name. Was it a nickname from when you were a child? I can see calling a baby that.

*pinch cheeks and put on a sicky-sweet "talk to the baby" voice* "OOH, you're such a sweet little sugar cube, yes you are!" Very Happy
Image sig by chrisis1033

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:42 pm

Elessar wrote:But to their credit, the AF DOES have elite combat teams right? Base security and such stuff? I mean there really are Airforce Special Forces units like what Jack O'Neill did before the stargate program right?

They'd like to think so but so far, the only ones who really impress me are the PJs. I'm sure CX will come on and try to rave about the SFs, but whatever... Cool

Distracted wrote:Wait a minute, now guys. I know it's not PC now here in the states to actually LIKE the French, but speaking as someone who has spent some time in the country and actually has friends there, please go easy on the nationality-bashing, okay? Je suis francophone. Les francais sont mes cousins qui j'aime. Got it? Good! Razz

Yeah. We'd hate to force them to surrender to us 'cause we used harsh language. Twisted Evil (*ducks Distracted's thrown shoe...)

As far as the military discussion goes... it always amazes me how excited you guys can get over the idea of getting shot at. Seems to me that joining the military is a bad idea in wartime...

IMO, it's the best time to join up. It proves that one is literally willing to put one's life on the line in order to defend the Nation of our ours and to live up to the awesome responsibility that is the true job of a Citizen. Remember the saying: "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing"? By selecting to do something and sign on that dotted line, one is basically saying "I want to serve my country and give something back to her." There are, IMO, too many people who expect to be given everything and never expect to pay back. Freedom is not free.

Charles M. Province wrote a poem that explains it better than I can.

IT IS THE SOLIDER, not the reporter,
Who has given us freedom of the press.

IT IS THE SOLIDER, not the poet,
Who has given us freedom of speech.

IT IS THE SOLIDER, not the campus organizer,
Who has given us freedom to demonstrate.

IT IS THE SOLIDER, not the lawyer,
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.

IT IS THE SOLIDER who salutes the flag,
Who serves under the flag and
Whose coffin is draped by the flag
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:58 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:
Elessar wrote:But to their credit, the AF DOES have elite combat teams right? Base security and such stuff? I mean there really are Airforce Special Forces units like what Jack O'Neill did before the stargate program right?

They'd like to think so but so far, the only ones who really impress me are the PJs. I'm sure CX will come on and try to rave about the SFs, but whatever... Cool

The SFs I've met would give any Jarine a run for his money, they're just thought of as a whole lot brighter. Wink We don't say "Marine-proof" when we're planning operations for nothing. Razz

And yes, we do have SPECOP forces. We also have people who are on the ground with Army and Marine combat units called Combat Weather. We also have people in Delta Force. You know one of theose two snipers from the Black Hawk Down incident that were awaded the Medal of Honor? One of them was Air Force.

You grunts can have the ground, give me some AIR POWER! Cool

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:01 am

I like this quote better. I can't find who said it first.

"What if they held a war and nobody came?"
Image sig by chrisis1033

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:50 am

Distracted wrote:I like this quote better. I can't find who said it first.

Then you wouldn't have much of a war, would you?

*Ducks other shoe Twisted Evil Smile *
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:38 am

CX wrote:You know one of theose two snipers from the Black Hawk Down incident that were awaded the Medal of Honor? One of them was Air Force.

No they weren't. Both men (MSG Gary Gordon and SFC Randy Shughart) were US Army. Below are the citations for their Medals of Honor.

Citation: Sergeant First Class Shughart, United States Army, distinguished himself by actions above and beyond the call of duty on 3 October 1993, while serving as a Sniper Team Member, United States Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia. Sergeant First Class Shughart provided precision sniper fires from the lead helicopter during an assault on a building and at two helicopter crash sites, while subjected to intense automatic weapons and rocket propelled grenade fire. While providing critical suppressive fire at the second crash site, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader learned that ground forces were not immediately available to secure the site. Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader unhesitatingly volunteered to be inserted to protect the four critically wounded personnel, despite being well aware of the growing number of enemy personnel closing in on the site. After their third request to be inserted, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader received permission to perform this volunteer mission. When debris and enemy ground fires at the site caused them to abort the first attempt, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader were inserted one hundred meters south of the crash site. Equipped with only his sniper rifle and a pistol, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader, while under intense small arms fire from the enemy, fought their way through a dense maze of shanties and shacks to reach the critically injured crew members. Sergeant First Class Shughart pulled the pilot and the other crew members from the aircraft, establishing a perimeter which placed him and his fellow sniper in the most vulnerable position. Sergeant First Class Shughart used his long range rifle and side arm to kill an undetermined number of attackers while traveling the perimeter, protecting the downed crew. Sergeant First Class Shughart continued his protective fire until he depleted his ammunition and was fatally wounded. His actions saved the pilot's life. Sergeant First Class Shughart's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest standards of military service and reflect great credit upon him, his unit and the United States Army

Citation: Master Sergeant Gordon, United States Army, distinguished himself by actions above and beyond the call of duty on 3 October 1993, while serving as Sniper Team Leader, United States Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia. Master Sergeant Gordon's sniper team provided precision fires from the lead helicopter during an assault and at two helicopter crash sites, while subjected to intense automatic weapons and rocket propelled grenade fires. When Master Sergeant Gordon learned that ground forces were not immediately available to secure the second crash site, he and another sniper unhesitatingly volunteered to be inserted to protect the four critically wounded personnel, despite being well aware of the growing number of enemy personnel closing in on the site. After his third request to be inserted, Master Sergeant Gordon received permission to perform his volunteer mission. When debris and enemy ground fires at the site caused them to abort the first attempt, Master Sergeant Gordon was inserted one hundred meters south of the crash site. Equipped with only his sniper rifle and a pistol, Master Sergeant Gordon and his fellow sniper, while under intense small arms fire from the enemy, fought their way through a dense maze of shanties and shacks to reach the critically injured crew members. Master Sergeant Gordon immediately pulled the pilot and the other crew members from the aircraft, establishing a perimeter which placed him and his fellow sniper in the most vulnerable position. Master Sergeant Gordon used his long range rifle and side arm to kill an undetermined number of attackers until he depleted his ammunition. Master Sergeant Gordon then went back to the wreckage, recovering some of the crew's weapons and ammunition. Despite the fact that he was critically low on ammunition, he provided some of it to the dazed pilot and then radioed for help. Master Sergeant Gordon continued to travel the perimeter, protecting the downed crew. After his team member was fatally wounded and his own rifle ammunition exhausted, Master Sergeant Gordon returned to the wreckage, recovering a rifle with the last five rounds of ammunition and gave it to the pilot with the words, "good luck." Then, armed only with his pistol, Master Sergeant Gordon continued to fight until he was fatally wounded. His actions saved the pilot's life. Master Sergeant Gordon's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest standards of military service and reflect great credit upon him, his unit and the United States Army.

There were Air Force guys present (the Para-Rescue guys) but none of them were KIA.

And you're not exactly correct about D-Boys either, CX. Everyone in Delta are Army since it is a division of the US Special Forces, specifically 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta (1st SFOD-D). They may have been in a different branch, but the moment they become Delta, they are changed to Army.

You grunts can have the ground, give me some AIR POWER! Cool

As demonstrated by Kosova, air power is irrelevant if you don't have boots on the ground. Every branch of the military are support to the infantry. Wink

Distracted wrote:"What if they held a war and nobody came?"
A quote war? I accept!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

- John Stuart Mill, In Fear"

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:30 am

dark_rain wrote:
Distracted wrote:I like this quote better. I can't find who said it first.

Then you wouldn't have much of a war, would you?

*Ducks other shoe Twisted Evil Smile *

I think that's the point. Cool
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”