Smut question *grown-ups only* :P

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Distracted » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:47 am

Can we just agree to disagree? There are lots of questionable things we now do to our bodies that used to be thought beneficial. Did you know that smoking was a required activity in British boy's schools in the 1800's because it was thought to help them fight off "consumption"? (Now known as tuberculosis.) Obviously, the assumption was incorrect. Doctors are always learning new things. Cool
Image sig by chrisis1033

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:35 am

Yep. Medicine changes all the time. That's why it's so confusing sometimes. Confused

Maybe the soap is just better over in Europe? Wink

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:12 pm

LOL! Don't think so!

I think the explanation is complicated. I think we did it routinely for no good reason for a long time, and then when someone finally did studies they included uneducated populations that tended not to clean themselves properly, and that skewed the data. The data collected in the past couple of decades among more well-informed populations just hasn't borne out the earlier results.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:07 pm

Distracted wrote:Can we just agree to disagree? There are lots of questionable things we now do to our bodies that used to be thought beneficial. Did you know that smoking was a required activity in British boy's schools in the 1800's because it was thought to help them fight off "consumption"? (Now known as tuberculosis.) Obviously, the assumption was incorrect. Doctors are always learning new things. Cool

yeah. It's really funny the way old medicines find new uses... Like I just saw a special last night about how botox injections are useful as rehabilitation for stroke victims with uncontrollable muscle spasms... hah! Crazy.

I also saw something that said that men with high cholestrol might do well to have a low, regular consumption of alcohol to increase "good" cholesterol. Neat-o. Cool

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:54 pm

Oh come on now, you know I was just being silly, right?

What about the "how to put your baby down to sleep" one? Talk about change. First it was stomach, then it was back and now it's side? Confused Still think that's why my youngest has a flat head.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:57 pm

Bether6074 wrote:Still think that's why my youngest has a flat head.

You put him/her on his/her head? Laughing
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:01 pm

Elessar wrote:I also saw something that said that men with high cholestrol might do well to have a low, regular consumption of alcohol to increase "good" cholesterol. Neat-o. Cool

Yep. Red wine works the best... one six ounce glass a day. More actually does harm due to potential liver damage, etc.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:06 pm

Or you could drink grape juice. Doesn't that work just as well? Or not?

And, no, Rigil, I didn't put her on her head! Laughing I put her on her back. Walked right into that one, didn't I?

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:55 pm

Ummm... actually, no. The alcohol is what raises the HDL (good cholesterol).
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:40 pm

Bether6074 wrote:Maybe the soap is just better over in Europe? Wink

Nah! I think we're just more clean and wash ourselves more frequently than you dirty Yanks do! Razz Wink
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:28 pm

Distracted wrote:Ummm... actually, no. The alcohol is what raises the HDL (good cholesterol).

I thought the health benefit came from the flavonoids and the resveratrol that were in the grapes. I've read this many, many times. Now I'm really confused. Confused

Yep. That must be it, KTR. Cool

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:01 am

Bether6074 wrote:
Distracted wrote:Ummm... actually, no. The alcohol is what raises the HDL (good cholesterol).

I thought the health benefit came from the flavonoids and the resveratrol that were in the grapes. I've read this many, many times. Now I'm really confused. Confused

Yep. That must be it, KTR. Cool

how bout gin? will gin do it D? How much per day?

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:10 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:

Nah! I think we're just more clean and wash ourselves more frequently than you dirty Yanks do! Razz Wink
Please. I've been to Europe. You guys have France.

Need I say more? Twisted Evil
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:50 am

Rigil Kent wrote:
Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:

Please. I've been to Europe. You guys have France.

Need I say more? Twisted Evil

Hey now Rigil, you served, wouldn't go for days on end without showering? Shock Laughing

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:07 am

Yeah. In the desert. Because we needed the water to drink. Trust me, the moment we got back to the real world, there was a waiting line for the showers in the barracks.

During Desert Storm, I went almost the entire six months without a shower because, as mechanized infantry, we were on the very tip of the spear and didn't have running water. It was Hell.

Ironically, I left the desert and went on emergency leave (my dad was sick ... emphysema. Stop Smoking. It'll kill ya.) and the Army, in its infinite wisdom, stuck me on the first available transport going Out. Which led to what amounted to 26 hours of flying while in my dirty, filthy uniform that I had worn for a week 'cause we'd been in a hot zone and hadn't had time to do anything but shave (which was essential for the protective mask to get a good seal and prevent the evil bio-agents from killing ya), my LCE (load-carrying equipment: two ammo pouches for 6 magazines of 30 rounds each, two 1 qt canteen, a buttpack which is basically a fanny pack but camoed up, and some other stuff), my Kevlar helmet, my rucksack, and (in violation of regulations) my protective mask. I was also carrying a duffel back with the rest of my junk in it. Basically, all I didn't have was my rifle. Anyway, 26 hours of flying ... on civilian airliners ... over the Atlantic ... and I was so wired, I couldn't sleep ... and, when I landed, I never had time to actually clean up before the "Next Available" took off ...

When I got home and found out my dad wasn't as bad as the Red Cross said he was, I spent 2 hours in the shower. I didn't care that, for the last 30 minutes or so it was cold water ... I was CLEAN...

Ah. Good times.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”