Smut question *grown-ups only* :P

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Smut question *grown-ups only* :P

Postby CX » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:43 pm

Thought I'd be bold and do something that might get some discussion, as well as satisfy some curiosety of mine. It might make some people uncomfortable to talk about, but it is the internet after all, so I hope you all won't be too timid to discuss this with me. Fair warning though, I'm very, very open about sex. Wink

Ok, so here it is: in pretty much every NC-17 TnT fic I've ever read, the authors have made a point of mentioning that Trip isn't circumcised, and I'm curious - why?.

Not to knock it or anything, but I know when I was born it was stil lall the rage to circumcise because it was considered more sanitary (no foreskin to clean under), so I'm also curious to hear some viewpoints on that too.

Bether6074
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Bether6074 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:07 am

I believe all of the latest research has shown that it helps prevent cancer as well.

FWIW, the Trip in my NC-17 fics, is most definitely circumcised. Why? Honestly? Umm, well, I wouldn't actually have all of the information to describe NC-17 activities if he weren't. Maybe it's just the author's personal preference.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:51 pm

Well, I don't think there'd be much moer to describe, just an extra bit of skin to pull back. *shrug*

I kinda figured it was mostly author preferance, but I also thought it might have something to do with the more recent push to not do it anymore.

So does this mean the ladies like the uncut look more? Laughing

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:09 pm

We're all adults. In fact alot of us are "old ladies." In my case that means

A) I have no info.
B) I couldnt say it if I did!

: D

I have to ask Distracted, she's a doctor.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:44 pm

CX wrote:Well, I don't think there'd be much moer to describe, just an extra bit of skin to pull back. *shrug*

I kinda figured it was mostly author preferance, but I also thought it might have something to do with the more recent push to not do it anymore.

So does this mean the ladies like the uncut look more? Laughing

I've read other interesting medical facts relating to circumcision, not sure how many are true though. Like JT said, ask D Laughing

This is what wikipedia has to say on the issue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:41 pm

I'm not asking about the medical information, I simply cited it in my question. Razz

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:20 pm

This is a very American phenomenon. Unless you're a Jew or so, this isn't practiced anywhere else in the world. Certainly not in Europe. There are no medical reasons for circumcision and all us non-Americans and non-Jews manage quite all right without it.

I can understand the religious reasons for Jews to practice this, but why you do it in America as much as you do escapes me. Perhaps it was a misguided attempt by puritans to make masturbation more difficult, and it has survived into modern times without anyone really reflecting on it?

So the reason for it to be mentioned in fanfics is, I suspect, that a lot of authors are Americans.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:22 pm

NO, you see they make a point of saying that he isn't cut, not that he is. And I already said most people get it done becasue it's considered more sanitary, or like the South Park explanation -"they just snip it a little so it looks bigger" Laughing

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:27 pm

CX wrote:NO, you see they make a point of saying that he isn't cut, not that he is.

OK, but the only reason for anyone to even making a point of this fact is that they're writing from an American perspective. In the hypotethical situation that I was going to write an NC-17 fic, I wouldn't even think about going on such a tangent to explain this issue since I'm European.

And I already said most people get it done becasue it's considered more sanitary...

Which is BS. Just ask any European doctor. If it really were more sanitary then why isn't it practiced in other advanced modern societies aside from America?

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:35 pm

Different cultures, different ideas?

In the hypotethical situation that I was going to write an NC-17 fic, I wouldn't even think about going on such a tangent to explain this issue since I'm European.

Mostly it's just that they describe pulling back the foreskin in the telling of the story, not really making a big point out of it.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:42 pm

CX wrote:
In the hypotethical situation that I was going to write an NC-17 fic, I wouldn't even think about going on such a tangent to explain this issue since I'm European.

Mostly it's just that they describe pulling back the foreskin in the telling of the story, not really making a big point out of it.

OK, then it is you that are making a big point of it, since you're reading from your American circumcised perspective. If these authors are describing a sexual situation it's not surprising that they mention "pulling back the foreskin" since that is what you have to do with a non-circumcised penis. And if these authors aren't Americans then I suspect they never thought twice about it when they wrote it. I know I wouldn't. (Well, I might do now after this thread.)

chrisis1033
Imager

Postby chrisis1033 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:26 am

......ummmm

Well I was born in England and there, unless your religion required it... no snip Very Happy

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:30 am

Uh ... I've honestly never noticed that. I guess that, since I mostly skim over NC-17 fics anymore, those lines just never attracted my notice. Given that Trip is American, however, it does seem to cause something of a minor disconnect ...

But then, I've also never really devoted any thought to Trip's penis, being far more interested in Polly's anatomy...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:45 am

Rigil Kent wrote:Uh ... I've honestly never noticed that. I guess that, since I mostly skim over NC-17 fics anymore, those lines just never attracted my notice. Given that Trip is American, however, it does seem to cause something of a minor disconnect ...

Unless it went out of style in the 22nd century, with smoking and all... Wink

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:33 am

Well I'm an American and I had all three of my boys circumsized and I'll tell you why: No reason at all! I just couldn't bring my self to deviate from the norm in this respect. This is after knowing in theory that I shouldn't. The most disturbing part of it is they don't use any anethesia, because apparently it is harmful to babies.

All this despite the fact that I was inspired by the example of Europeans (in this case Dutch women) to have my baby with a midwife outside the hospital. I also knew to breastfeed and I embraced a more enlightened approach to discipline (time outs) than I had been brought up with. And despite the fact that the midwifes recommended against circumcision, I had it done to my babies.

No there you have insight into an American.

Now if you want to change the thread, I strongly recommend midwives! And the thought to have a midwife would NEVER have occured to me without contact with Europeans. I'm grateful.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”