MU Enterprise/Defiance Universe (Canon and non-Canon)

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

blacknblue
Site Admin

MU Enterprise/Defiance Universe (Canon and non-Canon)

Postby blacknblue » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:49 am

Creative input desired.

Discuss. Very Happy
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: MU Enterprise/Defiance Universe (Canon and non-Canon)

Postby CX » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:32 pm

Anything in particuliar? Confused

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander
Show On Map: No

Postby Jedikatie » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:49 pm

Is that supposed to be the "Defiant" universe?
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:17 pm

Nothing and everything. I am finishing up part two of my MU fic, which is a bit different than most of the ones I have seen so far. I was curious about everyone else's take on the situation, character attitudes, projected events, general brainstorming after IAMD2.

Not planning on stealing ideas (or not planning on admitting it anyway) but interested in gaining insights into the way other people see things. I think I look at things weird sometimes. Apparently I peer through dark colored glasses or something. Where other people see angst, I see selfishness. Where other people see pathos, I see cowardice. Where other people are provoked to pity, I am provoked into disgust or contempt. I am not a very nice person I guess.

So I wondered about what the rest of y'all got out of those two episodes. That's all.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:45 pm

The MU episodes were so dark on their own if you peered at them through your Ray-Bans you wouldn't see anything at all.
Did you have any specific interaction in mind?
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:13 pm

You can always check out my original episodes reviews:

IaMD1

IaMD2

Mind you, I wrote those just after they aired and I may have changed my opinion on them somewhat in retrospect.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:13 pm

I thought it was interesting that Trip's humor made it into the MU. In a bitter, twisted way.
And T'pol wanted to help her people, right?
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

cherryblossomjen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby cherryblossomjen » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:00 am

This thread is just what I need to post a question I've been contemplating.

I just watched TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror" that started us on the awesomeness that is the mirror universe. I noticed that Kirk, Uhura, Scotty and Bones not only switched places with their MU counterparts but also switched wardrobe (enabling them to effectively pose as their evil twins without immediately raising suspicions).

Do you suppose Kirk and his team switched bodies with their counterparts as well?

In other Trek episodes that feature the mirror universe generally only one version of a character is transported to the otherside (ex: RU Kira and Bashir transport over to the MU in DS9's "Crossover" but their counterparts (the Intendant and scruffy-Bashir) do not take their places in "our" universe).

Anyway, what I'm trying to get to is, if by some fluke simultaneous transpoirter accident two people switch places, do they switch bodies or just wardrobe?

I'm asking because I've been playing with the idea of writing a MU ficlet and am wondering if Trip switched places with scarred-Chief Tucker, would Trip keep his own body or would his face be scarred?

Reading this over, it barely makes sense. Hopefully you can decode my gibberish and get what I'm saying. I'm too sleepy to think of a better way to explain myself.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:13 am

I would say that it depends on the way in which they are moved Universe-to-Universe. If you go with the same idea of a transporter, there is no reason (to me) that a consciousness (or even clothing for that matter, I think that bit of TOS was goofy) should transfer over as well. For living things to go safetly through a transporter, I would think you wouldn't want any kind of atomic rearrangement at all - that's the reason I don't get the clothes part. The consciousness thing, switching bodies, the transporter isn't designed to do that and shouldn't really ever be able to do that, so no, Trip should keep his own body.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:36 am

And yet, by the same token it has been proposed more than once that perhaps the Human consciousness hooks into the physical brain at the quantum level. Since the whole concept of a parallel universe is based on the principles of quantum physics, and that for every action of particle where it has the option of going one way or the other, instead of choosing it actually does both, then perhaps it would make sense that discorporate consciousness would make the cross over more readily than a physical body.

Too much coffee. WAY too much coffee.
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:26 am

Well... A transporter could be used to actually switch brains in bodies, that's about the only way it could happen, is if only your brain got transmitted over to the MU and it went precisely into the right place in your MU counterpart's head, connecting exactly right to the spinal cord in the right place on a microscopic level, etc. I see what you're saying about consciousness being a sum of our physical brains, but I don't think that makes it any more likely that a transporter would transport just your consciousness. When they operate a transporter, I think we're meant to believe they are focusing it like a weapon on a specific area, so either the whole body goes, or just a part of it goes.

I suppose...that with some kind of device OTHER than a transporter, you're saying you could induce the particles in your brain to shift realities, just the brain, and therefore the consciousness would transmit over to the MU because of the whole quantum-nature-of-particles-and-parallel-universes thing? That's possible, but it would equate to basically the same thing as transporting the brain, except that you're kind of relying on the quantum nature of the particles in your brain to do all the work once they're just 'catalyzed' to do it, in some way.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

krn
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby krn » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:43 pm

in the TNG universe (and I cite 'First Contact' as an example) the Transporter can be used for wardrobe changes. When Picard & Co. first go down to Earth, they use the Transporter to change clothes for them to time-period accurate.

Don't know if TOS transporters can do the same, or why transporting to the MU would change clothes for you automatically - but apparently the technology will be able to do that at some point.

Since this is trek-tech - it will do whatever you or your production budget will allow.
--
I got hugged

cherryblossomjen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby cherryblossomjen » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:51 pm

Well, this discussion has certainly been fascinating to read.

As a kid (and even now, I suppose) I never really minded Trek techno babble because I liked to pretend I understood it 0_o. Plus, I always figured 'this is Sci-Fi: anything can happen.'

When you get into the "reality" of it all, it makes the concepts a lot more complex.

After thinking about it, I think if I wrote something MU where Trip and Chief Tucker (is he a Commander in the MU?) switched places, I would want Trip to keep his body, but not necessarily his uniform. My reasoning is purely selfish as I would rather not have to deal with the consequences (emotional trauma and angst?) that would be required if someone suddenly discovered scarring and radiation poisoning.

Plus, I think the scars (emotional and physical) play a huge role in developing the character of MU_Tucker. You can't watch that first scene with him and MU_T'pol in engineering and not pick up on his cynicism about his appearance and condition. So, yeah, there's to much potential angst to have MU_Tucker just switch bodies with his counterpart.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:13 pm

Endeavour: Janus

50% more abuse, violence and brutality. Not for the faint of heart.

That is all.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Shakabutt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Shakabutt » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:28 pm

50% more abuse, violence and brutality. Not for the faint of heart.

And 200 % super cool ,amazing story !!!

The only regret was reaching the end ,damn .
Somebody needs to kidnapp Rigil and lock him up somewhere with a pc to write non stop for us :lol:
Last edited by Shakabutt on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”