Another reason the Abomination was trash

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Re: Another reason the Abomination was trash

Postby Kotik » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:51 am

There is one thing that I simply don't get my head wrapped around. I just rewatched TNG's 4th season episode "Family". I'm simply lost for words how BnB, who made this brilliant piece of Startrek could come up with a rotten stinker like *the_abomination*.

putaro
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby putaro » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:24 am

Kotik wrote:There is one thing that I simply don't get my head wrapped around. I just rewatched TNG's 4th season episode "Family". I'm simply lost for words how BnB, who made this brilliant piece of Startrek could come up with a rotten stinker like *the_abomination*.

Well, according to this that episode was written by Ronald D. Moore, while *the_abomination* was written by BnB themselves.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:34 pm

I am not sure of the last (final) episodes of TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager (cannot remember actually) but believe they are all better and written by others than the Killer B's. although Bragga may have had a hand in the final episode of voyager.

I have a lot of respect for Berman because he has been with Star Trek from the git go. I believe that Bragga as not involved with TOS or DS9. He did alittle writing for TNG and more for voyager I believe.

I am still convinced that Bragga was solely responsible for the Abomination. From one thing Bragga said in connection with the Abomination "I may have made a mistake"

I have always beieved that Berman had too much respect for the diferent series and would want the final episode of Enterprise to be about the Enterprise and its crew, not have Riker and Troi in it nor would have killed off Trip. Unless one wore a Red Shirt Berman seemed reluctant to kill off characters.

IMHO

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:22 pm

This is probably way too late as this thread as not had any new additions in a couple of months. But...I have a hard time understanding why the Killer Bs wrote such an ill concieved episode after doing so well with their writing in more than one Star Trek series. They wrote some episodes that I really liked. And why kill off one of the characters they themselves really liked? Did they really want to piss off the fans? What had the fans done to them that they wanted to do this? Or did they actually believe they had given a valentine to the fans? Were they that disconnected from the fans that they thought it really was a wrap up to the series that the fans would like?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:46 am

Yes, it's baffling. I'm not sure whether I'm being charitable when I put it down to ineptness rather than malice. I have no idea how it was received by the wider audience (I mean, other than those of us here who want TnT to end up together). Was it liked by a significant fraction of viewers? The whole thing struck me as one slap in the face after another, but I admit I'm biased because the episode included so many plotlets that I disliked. I suppose there must be some fans who liked it. Even now I doubt that the writers would admit, even to themselves, that the whole thing was a hideous mistake.

Hummingbird2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Hummingbird2 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Cogito wrote:Yes, it's baffling. I'm not sure whether I'm being charitable when I put it down to ineptness rather than malice. I have no idea how it was received by the wider audience (I mean, other than those of us here who want TnT to end up together). Was it liked by a significant fraction of viewers? The whole thing struck me as one slap in the face after another, but I admit I'm biased because the episode included so many plotlets that I disliked. I suppose there must be some fans who liked it. Even now I doubt that the writers would admit, even to themselves, that the whole thing was a hideous mistake.

There are some people who liked it, but, and I could be mistaken, they're usually not Trip fans.

Someone at Trekbbs once said that the DS9 episode 'Trials And Tribble-ations' was the true valentine to the fans, and I fully agree with that.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Some AinTers went all worshippy over that hug before the Speech We Din't See (Tm), but I have yet to read a review of the episode that shalt not be mentioned, which isn't a slating.
I'm afraid I'm not nearly as charitable as Cogito. That episode wasn't a mistake. B&B weren't greenhorns on a first practice semester. They were seasoned writers. That thing was a deliberate foul.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Kotik wrote:B&B weren't greenhorns on a first practice semester. They were seasoned writers.

Well, these were the same duo who wrote A Night In Sickbay, which essentially portrays the lead character in their series, and the captain of Starfleet's flagship, as a petulant incompetent idiot. Given that the overall goal of Enterprise seems to be to present Archer as hero of the hour, whatever the hour, it's hard to imagine that this character assassination was done deliberately. They've written lots of episodes - that doesn't mean they don't make mistakes.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:18 pm

begin rant

Yes the episode that shall not be named was garbage, month old in the sun black plastic bag full of chicken guts stinky. 'A night in sickbay' was just dumb, but.
The real problem was once they had selected Scott Bakula to play Archer they were stuck with him. Don't get me wrong he is a good not great actor who was inconsistent as hell in his performances. I still think he did his best work in 'Quantum Leap' years ago as he was a different character each week. I also think he would be terrific on stage playing the same part every night.
Whether you liked the characters or not Spock was always Spock, Worf was always Worf, etc. Hell Malcolm was always Malcolm and TnT were always themselves although allowed to grow. (I am ignoring some of the crap T'Pol had to play during the Trellium D addiction.)
Does my rant explain the episode that shall not be named. Kinda. They already knew the final scene and they tossed in some Enterprise favorites (Shran) for giggles and then proceeded to trash 6 of the 7 cast members and gave us chubby the cook and overage deanna. BnB decided to indulge themselves perhaps wistfully dreaming of the good old days of TNG. The real bitch is that killed all possibilities of movies by killing Trip.
I am also glad that Jolene spoke her mind.
There was so much that could have been done with the franchise and now we have silly movies that I will not watch. :-x

rant complete
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Amen :clap: :clap: :clap:

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:12 pm

Weeble wrote:begin rant

Yes the episode that shall not be named was garbage, month old in the sun black plastic bag full of chicken guts stinky. 'A night in sickbay' was just dumb, but.
The real problem was once they had selected Scott Bakula to play Archer they were stuck with him. Don't get me wrong he is a good not great actor who was inconsistent as hell in his performances. I still think he did his best work in 'Quantum Leap' years ago as he was a different character each week. I also think he would be terrific on stage playing the same part every night.
Whether you liked the characters or not Spock was always Spock, Worf was always Worf, etc. Hell Malcolm was always Malcolm and TnT were always themselves although allowed to grow. (I am ignoring some of the crap T'Pol had to play during the Trellium D addiction.)
Does my rant explain the episode that shall not be named. Kinda. They already knew the final scene and they tossed in some Enterprise favorites (Shran) for giggles and then proceeded to trash 6 of the 7 cast members and gave us chubby the cook and overage deanna. BnB decided to indulge themselves perhaps wistfully dreaming of the good old days of TNG. The real bitch is that killed all possibilities of movies by killing Trip.
I am also glad that Jolene spoke her mind.
There was so much that could have been done with the franchise and now we have silly movies that I will not watch. :-x

rant complete

Nothing to add. It's perfect this way.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:47 am

Weeble wrote:I am also glad that Jolene spoke her mind.

What did she say?

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:22 am

She called it "apalling". And obviously according to John Billingsley, the cast was most unhappy with it even during the filming already. This is, why I think B&B knew bloody well that they were cooking up a kick in the goolies. If your cast is po'ed about what you make them play, you would start to rethink it, wouldn't you. Unless of course you want it to be shit.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:09 am

I'll go digging thru the quotes tomorrow but Kotik pretty much covered it. I just will never understand why the BnB boys decided to brutally end the series as they did. It makes no sense.
I do believe and hope that Star Trek will continue and I doubt it will be along the lines of the new movies. Sooner or later it will return to the small screen and I hope that we may yet see Trip, T'Pol and perhaps a few rug rats with pointy ears. Hey I am allowed to dream.
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:55 am

Weeble wrote:I'll go digging thru the quotes tomorrow but Kotik pretty much covered it. I just will never understand why the BnB boys decided to brutally end the series as they did. It makes no sense.
I do believe and hope that Star Trek will continue and I doubt it will be along the lines of the new movies. Sooner or later it will return to the small screen and I hope that we may yet see Trip, T'Pol and perhaps a few rug rats with pointy ears. Hey I am allowed to dream.

Not always dreams remain dreams. Sometimes they come true.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”