New life in our hideout

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

New life in our hideout

Postby Kotik » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:41 am

Having been laid up at home last week, I had a lot of time to have a look at what goes on in our little place on the net. The interesting thing that I noticed was, that most of the regulars drop in now and then, so the general inactivity over the last few months is not necessarily down to lack of attendance. Hey, even Bluetiger did post after a year of hiatus :mrgreen:

The thing I've been missing from the olden days are the challenges and games. We had things like the word prompt challenges or the Holliday fic Exchange back in 2009. They were fun and especially they brought us some of the best stories. So, I was wondering if there's any interest in reviving some of those challenges or are there just too few active authors left to make them worth the effort?

Hummingbird2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Show On Map: No

Re: New life in our hideout

Postby Hummingbird2 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:36 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but bringing back word prompts sounds great to me! :thumbsup:

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:39 pm

Maybe the key is to bring the lurkers out to play. This might help.

Fanfiction Writing 101

by Distracted, who doesn't do this for a living. Because of that, this advice is just that... advice, not rules. And it's worth whatever you think it's worth, since it's free. 8)

Step One: Watch the show. A lot. So much that the characters in it become real people in your mind, people with their own personalities, mannerisms, motivations, and histories. Watch the entire show and learn the timeline of the episodes (or use a handy dandy reference guide) so you can place your story in context.

Step Two: Decide what story you want to tell. Most fanfics are born because the writer wants to see a continuation of a scene that interests them or wants to fix something that they think the writers got wrong. If something bugs you, fix it. If nothing bugs you, then pick a classic plot trope and run with it.

Step Three: Choose your point of view character. Telling your story from a single POV isn't essential, but it makes for a more gripping narrative. Readers instinctively want to identify with the person telling the story. If you don't give them someone to identify with, it creates distance, which may decrease the emotional impact of your tale.

Step Four: Pretend that you are your point of view character. Let your story play out in your head. Write what you "see".
Image sig by chrisis1033

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:50 pm

Dis, with all of the creative writers on this board: Yourself, Alelou, Cogito, KOtik, Asso, to name a few and new ones on the horizon. one hesitates to put forth anything.

The wonderful thing is the joy one gets reading so much quality work.

Sb
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:47 pm

I like the idea, I will admit I am behind in my NP Chron writing, but fishing season is still going on with steelies just beginning their fall migration....I do have a couple of plot bunnies hopping around if the word prompts fit. The best part is the new authors who are taking things in new directions...
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:48 am

Weeble wrote:fishing season is still going on with steelies just beginning their fall migration....

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:54 am

Silly Kotik,

I like the ?smilie?....

um, er,, um, have I mentioned that Seleya Hills could use a new chappie....
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:30 pm

New life in our hideout.

There are new authors here. Capable.
Let's leave comments on their stories.
This would be enough, I think, to breathe new life in our hideout.
It is distressing to see that the part dedicated to the comments in each story is often dismally almost empty.

Just my two cents.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:09 am

I needed a hiatus to rethink a large writing project I was really interested in trying to get back into. I have complete a draft of the third of a series of three novellas. It has over 70,000 words at this point. Now I have to go back and work on the half finished draft of the first novella, then the second novella with only the middle chapter done. Why I am working this way, I don't know but the words are flowing. I would like to just get back to reading all the stories I have missed on Tris but have only gotten to a couple of them. Not sure if I would participate in any challenges right now, but I will look at them to see if they spark any ideas. :thumbsup:
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:38 am

Weeble wrote:um, er,, um, have I mentioned that Seleya Hills could use a new chappie....

You lookie lookie ff.net :raspberry:

Jamieson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Jamieson » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:00 pm

Hello! I've been terribly remiss in checking out the forum - too much work and not enough play.

I'm a newbie, but for what it's worth I'd be interested in some challenges and word prompts. No guarantee I'd be able to participate much in writing (I'm a slow writer, and I have about 5 stories on the go right now - hopefully I'll finish one of them at some point!), although I'll certainly jump on it if one catches my eye. Even if I can't participate as much as I'd like, I'd really enjoy seeing what others come up with - I'm love seeing how different authors spin the same concept :D

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:13 pm

There's an alphabet drabble game going (slowly) in the drabble section now. There are also several drabble and poetry game threads you could rejuvenate if you so desire.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”