The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Human-Vulcan Children

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:31 am

I think we'll all be happier if we discuss more TnT and less controversial social issues. So, here goes:
Would a human-Vulcan baby be different depending on which parent was human and which was Vulcan? Would Trip and T'Pol's child(ren) be different than Spock because of that? Consider a horse-donkey "child." Wikipedia's entry for mule:
In its common modern meaning, a mule is the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse, which is classified as a kind of F1 hybrid. The reverse, the offspring of a male horse and a female donkey, is called a hinny.
Would the same kind of thing apply to humanoids?

TSara
Captain
Captain

Re: Human-Vulcan Children

Postby TSara » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:36 am

Hmmm... I don't know.

I do think however that the Vulcan genes would be more predominate than the human ones.

I don't think I've seen a hybrid Vulcan-Human who didn't look more Vulcan than Human on any of the trek series.

At least not in Canon....could be wrong though.
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:08 am

Gad, thinking back to last genetics segement in early college bilogy 101.

Sweeps some cobwebs out of the way.

Some genes are dominant and some are recessive. Refer to Mendels studies.

Perhaps some characteristics of each species would be dominant depending on the specific gene sequence and arraingement, This may vary from individual to individual.

Bottom line is I don;t know but would suggest there would be a certain amount of variation depending on specific sharacteristics and the genes passed to the offspring.

HtH

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:24 am

JadziaKathryn asked (regarding the fact that the offspring of a male horse and a female ass and the offspring of a female horse and a male ass are different):
Would the same kind of thing apply to humanoids?

There is no answer, in the real scientific knowledge. Confused
We humans never met other humanoids, with a different genetic code.

However, thinking that in the Fiction the offspring of a male Human-female Vulcan couple or of a male Vulcan-female Human couple is a hybrid with an appearance more Vulcan than Human, but with the terrible (and dangerous and fascinating) force of the human feelings, well, is intriguing. Very Happy

And, another thing.
We and the Vulcans are not so different and, perhaps, we are even superior to them: we coexist with our feelings; they have to suppress, in order that they can avoid the psychological destruction. And so? Perhaps their genes, too, are not dominating. Cool
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:41 pm

Would they look different, do you mean? I've never seen a hinny, but I've seen mules, and they look pretty similar in photos.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:26 pm

I kind of doubt it, since the children would be the product of intelligent beings who have access to modern medical technology, including gene splicing.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

blackn'blue wrote:I kind of doubt it, since the children would be the product of intelligent beings who have access to modern medical technology, including gene splicing.

Agreed! Since the only conceivable way for a Human and an alien to have offspring would be through a form of genetic engineering (which raises the related but never answered question how this can co-exist in a Trekverse that looks down on "augments"), I suppose they could pick and choose the genes they wanted in each case.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:56 pm

I always wondered about how the docters deal with the different kind of blood if let say a Vulcan mother with copper based blood is having a child with human blood. I mean, when a human mother has a negative blood type and the husband positive blood, then the mother gets a treatment before birth, just in case the child has positive blood and the negative blood cells will have a negative effect on the baby. So it seems that different based blood is even a bigger problem....
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:40 pm

^ Suppress her immune system? Confused (well at least in one of my yet unfinished fics that's kinda what I wrote Confused Confused )

Well and I'm sure they have the technology to make the mother and baby compatible like not only blood-wise, Kira was pregnant with a human baby that wasn't even hers and like they gave her something so that the baby would be able to absorb like Bajoran nutrients.

And Amanda Grayson was pregnant with a green blooded Spock and her blood didn't start developing like antibodies on him
ImageImage

Complicated
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Complicated » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:45 am

JadziaKathryn wrote:Would a human-Vulcan baby be different depending on which parent was human and which was Vulcan? Would Trip and T'Pol's child(ren) be different than Spock because of that?

Doesn't that also depend on the gender of the child? in relation to which parent is Vulcan or human?
So hypothetically, Spock would be different from Lorian, because Spock's father was the Vulcan one, whereas Lorian's mother was his vulcan source for genes....which makes me think this is why Lorian could smile, but Spock could not...although I doubt the writers thought about it when writing that episode....
But the difference would be even more complicated if we compare Spock to any daughter T'Pol and Trip may have had....the number of genetic combinations increases....and we would have many more possible cases.....
Very intriguing question though....It makes me wonder whether any Trek book has ever answered it.... Cool

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:03 am

^ Oh Spock could smile alright... he just chose to dedicate himself to the Vulcan way. Like Lorian said
Lorian wrote:I wasn't raised with the same inhibitions most Vulcans have. My human side has allowed me to find a balance between emotion and logic. I've even been known to tell a joke on occasion.

I think Spock and Lorian's differences in that aspect have to do with like upbringing and stuff not their genetic makeup.
ImageImage

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:20 am

T'Poptarts wrote:I think Spock and Lorian's differences in that aspect have to do with like upbringing and stuff not their genetic makeup.
That makes sense. Spock was raised on Vulcan, Lorian on a human (and a couple other emotional species) starship.

Hmm, with the mothers and antibodies, though - could that be a bigger problem with the second child? It is with positive/negative blood today, isn't it?

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:43 am

^ Yep. It's like if the mother has a negative blood type and the first child is positive, then like the first time is like the first exposure to like any antigen at first it's new to the body so the immune system is less effective against it and so if it's like the first pregnancy with a positive baby it can actually be okay, but the next time the immune system remembers the antigen and it's like way quicker and efficient against it.

My mother has a negative blood type and she didn't have any problems being pregnant with my sister who has a positive blood type, but after that she had problems she had 2 miscarriages because of the blood type issue, but with my 2 other sisters she received like treatment for it during the pregnancy. Well and I have a negative blood type so I didn't give her any problems. (But I'm the one she hates Confused Confused )

[Heh yet another reason for me to never have kids Confused Confused think of all the needles they'd have to stick in me. Ugh. I hate needles Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused ]
ImageImage

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:03 pm

I hate it in fanfic where the Vulcan-Human child of Trip and T'Pol automatically speaks in stilted formal Vulcan style, although he or she is surrounded by human peers.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:37 am

I can see what you mean if they grow up around humans...but it's so CUTE! Laughing
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”