The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

PoweredByCoffee
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Show On Map: No

Captain Tucker or Captain T'Pol?

Postby PoweredByCoffee » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:25 am

So over the last few days I have been having an on again off again debate with a friend of mine.

The topic is pretty straight forward (but long): What would be better T’Pol and Trip’s relationship, assuming they stayed together after Terra Prime, if T’Pol was a ship’s captain with Trip as the Chief Engineer or Trip as the ship’s captain with T’Pol as the Science Officer / First Officer?

For the debate, and this thread, we assumed Archer was promoted so the Captain’s chair is open with more or less the same crew complement.

Personally I think that T’Pol outranking Trip works better. I see trip happier as the Chief Engineer than I do as Captain. I think working with his hands, taking things apart and putting them back together is too much apart of who he is for him to wanna leave that to sit on a bridge and deal with annoyed aliens. T’Pol has always stepped into the role of Captain, when Archer was unable or hurt, pretty seamlessly. And her diplomatic skills are sharp, though she would still be kind of green.

Any one wanna share their thoughts? :popcorn:
"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised." - Captain Kathryn Janeway, Professional Badass

putaro
Captain
Captain

Re: Captain Tucker or Captain T'Pol?

Postby putaro » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:03 am

Well, they're probably better off not really being in each other's chain of command, so I would take a different option, myself. When they're both at the same rank, even though T'Pol is nominally Trip's superior officer, since she's the First Officer, it's a little easier to wink at any non-frat rules and less possibility of charges of favoritism, etc. being brought up.

How about T'Pol as diplomatic attache and Trip as Captain?

PoweredByCoffee
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby PoweredByCoffee » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:09 am

The reason the whole debate came up was because we were talking about T'Pol being first officer and then it shifted to that.

T'Pol doesn't strike me as someone who dislikes any authority given to her. I think Trip always knew if he pushed her too far she was going to pull rank.

And I think that is one of the reasons they work. He can go out of a limb and she reals him in if needed.
"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised." - Captain Kathryn Janeway, Professional Badass

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:20 am

Well, I know the Military guys here like to go on and on about Frat Regs, but since they don't really exist in Starfleet in the same way they do in militaries today I ignore them. To tell the truth I think it could go either way successfully. They each respect each other professionally and balance each other out. Personally, I could see either of them making a fine Captain. Trip did say that it was something he wated as a child, and he did show he became quite capable during the Vulcan Arc. T'Pol would make an excellent FO for him, and he would make an excellent one for her. That said, I find it more likely that Trip would make Captain before T'Pol simply for reasons of prejudice and politics.

If they had managed to grow up to have a healthy mature relationship after Terra Prime my bet would be that they'd choose whatever had the best chance of keeping them together.

Thank you for coming up with a topic I don't think has been done here before! :happyjump:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

PoweredByCoffee
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby PoweredByCoffee » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:25 am

The idea of T'Pol being a Captain over Trip makes me laugh a little though. I think he would support her and tell everyone about his hot Vulcan starship Captain wife. And T'Pol would twitch her eyebrow and he's snap to attention.

Or at least that is how it works in my head.

Trip would make a really good Captain too if he can let go of the engine room. Maybe he could hire the great great great grandmother of B'Elanna Torres and let her have his old job. :P

And thanks. I am trying to be active.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:30 am

Don't tease! I wish someone would do a fic where :tom: :torres: meet :trip: :tpol: they could knock some sense into their thick skulls! On a more serious note, as much as Trip loves his engines I can see him taking a command for various reasons. Like I said either senario works for me.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

PoweredByCoffee
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby PoweredByCoffee » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:42 am

Now there is a plot I might have to work with. A half Klingon and a Vulcan might get into more trouble than you'd think.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:51 am

Now you ARE teasing me! 8)

Fics

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:04 am

From a story point of view, I think the problem with either Trip or T'Pol in command is that neither of them has any clear cut goals. Trip loves his engines and T'Pol is along to support and neither of them is really interested in going anywhere.

Archer, for all his faults, is the driver. He wants to go somewhere, he wants to explore. So, if you're not doing a war fic, putting either Trip or T'Pol as the driver kind of runs out of steam. You'd have to put one or both of the characters through some major changes so that they were able to drive the plot - that's my opinion, anyhows.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:08 am

And a very fine one it is! I have to agree with you, and my compliments for such an elequently stated point of view.

Fics

PoweredByCoffee
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby PoweredByCoffee » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:15 am

I think if they were in a Voyager set up, having to get home, or on a science mission or a mission with clear goals I'd rather have T'Pol.

But I do think your right. Archer wants to explore. It's the kid in him. Even if that gets them in so much more trouble.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:17 am

I so agree with that it's not even funny!

Fics

PoweredByCoffee
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby PoweredByCoffee » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:19 am

Great minds? :)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:22 am

Possibly. Goodnight, or morning for me to be technical.

Fics

PoweredByCoffee
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby PoweredByCoffee » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:31 am

I wish they had someone like T'Pol, and no Seven had hole different issues than T'Pol, on Voyager.

In fact I don't even think Seven would want to get to know T'Pol. Maybe at first because she wants to find someone logical. But I think they wouldn't like each other.

No logical reason, just my gut.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”