The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

putaro
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: The Forge

Postby putaro » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:25 pm

Cogito wrote:Wasn't there some mention of these two having gone through survival training in Australia? Anyone remember what happened during their training? Or did I only imagine that?

It was in Desert Crossing, actually. Neither of them showed any sign of having absorbed any of that training.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:51 pm

Also, Trip took a pretty big fall earlier that day, so could have had reason to be dragging.

They do mention Trip's dislike of the survival training -- I think at the beginning of that episode when he tries to beg off of it because he doesn't do well in deserts.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:56 pm

Which makes me suspect that Trip's problems in the desert are more of a psychological nature. When you absolutely hate something, you can actually react physically to it.
As a kid I absolutely hated Brussels sprout, but my mum (god bless her. NOT) forced me to eat that crap. To this day I get a gag reflex if I try to eat it :upchuck:

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:59 pm

to me, apparently, both Archer and Trip were in the same shape other than Trip was younger than Archer by, I thought, 17 years. That makes a difference. The older Man's legs would give out sooner than the younger man. The younger man's chances of survival, everything being equal, would be greater than the older man's. Fact of life.

Archer looked good but so did trip.

I think it ws stupid of the writers to have Trip s o weak and to have Archer dragging him along.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:09 pm

I love that episode. They should never have set out across the desert like that if they really had survival training, but whatever. It made for a fun story for those of us who don't obsess over Trip's macho readings vs. Archer's.

TUCKER: If it's all the same to you, Captain I'll sit this one out.
ARCHER: It's not like you to pass up an away mission.
TUCKER: Well, I'm up to my ears in work. The impulse manifolds need to be purged, the gravity plating on C deck still isn't aligned.
ARCHER: Trip.
TUCKER: Desert, sir? The heat, the dry air. You know how it sucks the life out of me.
ARCHER: What about the two weeks we spent in Australia? We had a great time.
TUCKER: Survival training in the outback? Drinking recycled sweat and eating snake meat? That's your idea of a great time?
ARCHER: It's not going to be like that. I get the feeling Zobral's a man who likes to indulge his guests. He's promised to roll out the red carpet for us. It'll be more fun than purging impulse manifolds. Well, suit yourself. I'll see if Malcolm's interested. But I was hoping you'd enjoy spending some time with your captain.
TUCKER: Promise I won't have to eat any snake meat?

Poor Trip. Instead he got "the essence of the male".

But now I'm wondering why they didn't try to recycle any sweat. (Actually I think sweat is the less offensive thing you have to recycle in that situation.)
Image.Image

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:57 pm

Archer isn't talking about crossing the desert. He says that the Red Carpet will be out for them. That they will be treated royally.

Trip says he just as soon stay on board working because he doesn't like the Desert. He doesn't say he would not be able to function in it. Just that he doesn't like it.

I hate Air conditioning but need it during the summer here in Arizona.

Trip doesn't care for snake meat.He doesn't say he won't eat it if he has to. Just that he doesn't like it.

I hate Liver and even a gun up to my head won't make me eat it.

I am with Trip. He has stated that he doesn't care for something but he does not say he cannot or will not go through it.

I have lived in the Artic, the Desert, the Sub Tropics, in a Rain Forest. I tolerated them all. That doesn't mean that I did not care for some of the conditions. In the Artic if you peed outdoors you had to do it backing up. In the Rain Forest one had five feet of Rain a year. In the Desert where I now live we get five inches of rain a year. in the Sub Tropics it was so humid because of the Monsoons.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Alelou wrote:But now I'm wondering why they didn't try to recycle any sweat. (Actually I think sweat is the less offensive thing you have to recycle in that situation.)

It's pretty hard to recycle sweat. I suppose you could sop it up in a towel, wring it out into hollow in a rock, and make a still over the hollow with a sheet of plastic, a cup, and a smaller rock to tent the plastic sheet, but urine's easier to collect in sufficient volume to do that with.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind...
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Alelou wrote:I love that episode. They should never have set out across the desert like that if they really had survival training, but whatever. It made for a fun story for those of us who don't obsess over Trip's macho readings vs. Archer's.

This declaration of love by Alelou got me thinking. Very much so.
Eh sure, because, on reflection, in reality I have to relize that I de facto appreciate completely no one of the episodes of Enterprise. Just so. No one. Indeed, in reviewing them, I find myself always discover new things that awaken in me - literally - something that can almost be described as anger, seasoned with a bit of disdain. So what? Why I love Enterprise? Maybe because I love Trip and T'Pol? :shifty:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Do you really love Enterprise at all? Maybe you just love Trip and T'Pol -- especially the way you would want them to be if that frickin' tv show didn't keep getting them wrong.

I'm guessing that would fit with SB, too.
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Alelou wrote:Do you really love Enterprise at all? Maybe you just love Trip and T'Pol -- especially the way you would want them to be if that frickin' tv show didn't keep getting them wrong.

I'm guessing that would fit with SB, too.

Did I say something different? Is there something wrong in all this?

And about this:
Alelou wrote:...It made for a fun story for those of us who don't obsess over Trip's macho readings vs. Archer's.

I believe it is not without significance that there are many males obsessed. Perhaps not very happy that one can think of them as obsessed.
Obviously I can understand the quiet jocosity of your statement.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:31 pm

Yes, I think we're getting each other. :shock:

So how would people here fall on this continuuum, assuming that we all agree we love TnT:

Hates Show 1---2---3---4---5---6---7----8----9---10 Loves Show

I'm probably around an 8 on this. I'm fond of the entire show and all its characters, but cringe a bit now and then and not just for *the_abomination*.
Image.Image

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Sign me up for 8, too

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Alelou wrote:Hates Show 1---2---3---4---5---6---7----8----9---10 Loves Show

After a moment of reflection, I think I'm a seven.

I have issues that we have discussed in EXCRUCIATING detail in other threads, some with TV science fiction in general (bad science, lack of continuity, ridiculous plots) and some with Enterprise in particular (super Archer, the bizaar TnT relationship yo-yo).

The writers made me despair, the actors made me care.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:43 pm

:hatsoff:
;-) You're great, Alelou. But, maybe, is it possible that I could define myself as a non-Lilliputian? I'd be really happy. :mrgreen:

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”