The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Vulcan Full Name

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:38 am

I have no difficulty at all in understanding Asso. It may be that I spent my career traveling all over the world and heard many different languages. I lived in Europe for 16 years. 11 in Germany. Three in Holland and two in England, I think.

I also spent short Temporary assignments in Swtzerland, Bulgaria, Denmark and Algeria. I guess my ear is more attuned to Asso that what some others on this board are. Kotik probably understands Asso very well too.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:33 am

Thanks, Silverbullet.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

lfvoy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: lfvoy

Postby lfvoy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:24 pm

WarpGirl wrote:I'm pretty certain that according to canon at least T'Pol, Spock, Tuvok etc... are "given" names. But it is an interesting thing to play with.

One's last name and one's "given" (i.e., personal) name need not be mutually exclusive. That was my point about bringing up Asian cultures, where in traditional usage the two are the same thing because the family name is put first. If that's also Vulcan tradition, then it's entirely possible for "T'Pol" to be both the character's given name and her last name.

Which leads back to the original point of this post -- whether or not Vulcans' given names are their full names (i.e., if Vulcans have first, middle and last names). The presence of full names comprising of more than the commonly-used names is established in TOS when Spock mentions that his mother has a hard time pronouncing the family/clan name. But I'm not aware of any canonical reference that places them in any particular order. So I would suggest that this commenter either produce evidence or keep in mind that anything not specifically contradicted by canon is fair game.

...oh, and Asso? While I sometimes have to read what you write a couple of times, I don't have any difficulty understanding you. :)
My fan fiction is in The Laundry Room.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:13 pm

lfvoy wrote:...oh, and Asso? While I sometimes have to read what you write a couple of times, I don't have any difficulty understanding you. :)

Thank God! Now I feel really relieved! :hug:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”