Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Writing

Postby Alelou » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Well, it may not be terribly relaxing to force myself to sit down and write, but once it starts flowing I find it relaxing. It's the same with gardening, really. The hardest part is just getting out the door.

Keeping your mind agile is indeed a worthy goal, and all the more reason to think of it as something you do for yourself. Stats and reviews, nice as they are, are just the bonus.

There was someone who put a story up at ff.net awhile ago basically saying, "if the reviews make this worthwhile, I'll keep writing." That's a level of desperation or emotional manipulation that surely put off many potential readers and reviewers, especially since as far as I could tell this person had never been seen to leave a review for anyone else.

On the other hand, if reviews really matter to you, I don't think there's anything wrong with politely asking people at the beginning (or probably even better, the end) of a chapter to let you know if they liked it. You might just spark a few more that way. Successful salesmen ask for the sale.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Reviews are a science in itself. Alelou for instance probably breaks all records when it comes to reviews, just look at the numbers :shock: Same goes for Rigil Kent's DivPath. I think that one has something close to 1.300 reviews.

One thing that is always going to matter in review numbers is the "fame factor" of the author. Everybody, who has spent more than 1 month in the ENT community and TnT specially will know names like BnB, TLR, Alelou, Distracted or Rigil Kent. Those authors will naturally attract more reviews. After all, a Ferrari will always have more people gushing over it than a Daewoo, even if the latter is well made, too.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Heh. Now that's a change, to be one of the popular crowd for once. :lol:

I think that anyone who writes enough stories of sufficient quality to gain a following will necessarily receive more reviews. The more stuff you throw out there, the more your name sticks in people's minds, and they're more likely to look for your name again if they like what they read. So story volume + reasonable quality = more reviews.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:36 pm

Hey everyone! I hope you all didn't think I deserted this place I haven't! I just haven't gotten any e-mail updates and I've been busy... :oops: Okay I've been at FF.net, and working feverishly on my story for NCIS/NCIS:LA :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Please don't hate me, I don't control the voices! <adorable pout>

Which brings me to this topic... I have to write! If I don't write I get severely depressed, I feel worthless, and just wallow in the wreck that is my body. That, and the voices drive me insane! So writing is the best escape from my physical pain.

Why I write for ENT (Yes I still am as soon as T'Pol brings Trip back from deep space, and decides to stop with the silent treatment!) I have an obsessive compulsive need to write TnT acting like actual adults and not children in sexy bodies.

Why I wrote for KOTOR (Still not sure if that muse is dead or not!) I loved the story! Then LucasArts pulled a retcon that made no sense, then screwed the fans worse than the B's could have EVER done to ST. Really, *the_abomination* was a "valantine" compared to the crap LucasArts came up with. I'm still livid about it!

Why I write my original stories (a little stuck on both) I have to get published one day or half my family will pick on me, and yell at me, until I'm in my grave. Do I really have to deal with that forever?

Why I write for NCIS/LA (Other than the fact that G. Callen needs a woman who is not Kensi or Nell... crazy crazy shippers in that world) I made a bet with my mom I could write Gibbs as well as they do on the show and it morphed into something completely beyond my control!!!! Seriously, it scares me. But G. Callen is HOT! :drool:

I work obscenely hard on my stories, that's why updates take forever. But I'm not one to put requests for reviews in the story itself. I'll beg from "friends" like you guys privately, but in general I prefer the work to speak for itself. I like dear Alelou don't care for the "emotional manipulation" that seems like an epidemic over at FF.net.

Unfortunately, I have a Da Vinci problem (no I'm not comparing my talent to his) I get completely obsessed with a new project to the point where I literally cannot think of anything else, then I run out of inspiration! I get bored FAST! It's a curse I keep trying to break.

PS I keep pointing people to this site! Hopefully it will work!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Distracted wrote:Heh. Now that's a change, to be one of the popular crowd for once. :lol:

I know! It's freaky, isn't it? :shock:
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:31 am

:rotflmao:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:24 pm

I rarely watch TV unless there is a puck or ball involved. Star Trek has just always been there since I was a kid. I will admit I enjoy Wipeout and Swamp People. Probably explains much.....

My kudos' to all the fanfic writers. It created a fascination for me and gave me the courage to try. And thanks to the kind reviews cause it does encourage.
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cap'n Frances » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:15 pm

I'm trying to get into the habit of writing every day. I went to a workshop at The Writers' Center a few weeks ago entitled "Writing 20 Minutes a Day." The instructor gave us several suggestions that I've found very helpful. I've been writing most days, sometimes for more than 20 minutes (which she strongly encouraged.)

One thing I haven't tried yet is finding an accountability partner. She suggested another writer you'd e-mail about once a week about what you'd done with your writing that week. The partner doesn't have to do anything, even reply, although that's very helpful.

If anyone would be willing to do that for me, I'd be very grateful. I'd also be happy to return the favor.

Also, if anyone is interested in the other tips she gave us, please let me know.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:34 pm

I'd be interested in the other tips.

Also, I could take a stab at the accountability thing. I can probably brow-beat and cajole others to write more. (Now if I could just do the same for myself...)

I am almost finished with chapter 11 of 'Convicted.' I find I tend to write more when I get closer to having something I can post.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:10 pm

I'd like the other ideas also. I'm writing everyday for 30 minutes or more. I set a timer and most times I ignore it. Any ideas that help keep the creativity flowing I'd appreciate.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:10 am

I'm up for the accountability thing. I've got a number of chapters part way written. Gotta get this move finished first, though! Maybe we could start a new thread or post here about what we're doing and bug each other frequently.

73Bruin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby 73Bruin » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:08 pm

I could probably set up some sort of reminder (e.g. monthly).

It also might be possible to setup a work in progress section that would only be available to Admins and selected authors and possibly a forum for those same authors. I would need to get Elessar's approval, if you are interested. The obvious downside is that you would be sharing story data with more the just the beta you selected.

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:36 am

73Bruin wrote:The obvious downside is that you would be sharing story data with more the just the beta you selected.

Someone might read what I'm writing? Oh, the horror! :-)

Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cap'n Frances » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:43 pm

I'm visiting my brother in Florida and won't be home for a couple of days after what we originally planned. When I was packing, it didn't occur to me to put my workshop notes where I could access them from my iPad. I'll post a summary when I get home.

I'd be happy to be an accountability partner with any of you, either by e-mail or with something here. This has been a challenging week for writing for me for multiple reasons. I think knowing I need to report in has helped keep me on track. Also being in North Florida for a week has given me some story ideas.

Eireann
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Eireann » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:30 pm

Writing is the thing that keeps me intellectually alive. It's not easy all the time - sometimes the pages flow out like honey out of a spilled jar, and sometimes getting a paragraph done is like pushing a concrete block uphill. But the important thing to my mind is to keep pushing. Even if you've got to a point in your story where you wish you'd never started and would sooner kick it through the window rather than write another word of it. Make the discipline to open your laptop, open the document and write SOMETHING. Just one sentence may lead to another, and possibly another. If you only get three down, that's three more than you had yesterday, and you never know, somewhere in those three sentences inspiration may strike. It may be a long hill and a damn steep slope, but you won't get to the top of it by stopping.

As for reviews, I'll be the first to admit that a lack of reaction to my stories (yes, I do ask very politely that if people have enjoyed the chapter they'll let me know) is sometimes hellishly discouraging. And yes, I know full well that my mostly shipping R/S limits my audience enormously and that therefore the lack of interest is very much my own choice/fault. Still, as long as there are a few kind people out there who like what I do and take the time to tell me so, I'm happy and grateful. It would be nice if a few more of the numbers the statistics tell me about would wave a flag occasionally, but hey, I hope they've enjoyed my stuff anyway. And I love writing it (still going, after all these years!) so even if my novel never sees the light of day, I'll have left my mark somewhere!

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”