Thanks to all peoples!

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Thanks to all peoples!

Postby Asso » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:14 pm

Yes, thanks to all peoples for the comments to my first "Fan Fiction", Ulysses. Smile

I feel the necessity of to open a "topic" to express my delight for your words of encouragement and esteem.
Now I really know I can interact here with capable persons of to understand, of to criticize and of to spur for the better.
I feel myself... ecstatic?
Speaking serious, thanks for the praises, thanks for the advices and thanks for the encouragement.
Now, I believe that I should continue to write (sorry, you have wanted that) and, honestly, I think to have some ideas. But you spoke very right: I need of a Beta Reader. Absolutely I need of a Beta Reader.So, I welcome your invitation, justTrip'n, and, if you agreed it, I want to use your help. I thank you.
You deserve besides a reply and an explanation.

You wrote:
Also, I'm a little confused about what universe this is. Is this something related to the The Good That Men Do and the Last Full Measure?

Yes, this is the universe (with some limits) of The Good That Men Do.
With satisfaction I quote Blackn'blue:
It is clear enough what the story is about. I followed the story well. Trip decided to break cover in order to protect T'Pol and his children. Phlox and Malcolm helped him. This is a very good plot idea. I like it.
It is also refreshing to see someone take something from The Good That Men Do and carry it forward. Again, well done.

In my head the ideas have a chaotic way and I am in difficulty if I try to put order. But a thing is clear. From the dirt of the "abomination", across what for me is the stupid remedy of The Good That Men Do, should spring, clear and strong, the greatest message of Enterprise: they exist a man and a woman, alien the one to the other (alien in the truest sense of the word), who, almost unaware, because of a gorgeous force, cross every barrier and they are given the one to the other.
I wanted to write a small but significant picture of their journey.
T’Pol now understood. It does not exist disgrace or shame in the love. She is the woman of Trip and Trip is her man. She is and will be always "Vulcan", but to love the her lover is at the of above of every thing.
And also Trip understood (and with the pain of the mind and of the body). Duty? Loyalty? Honor? Yes, certainty. But she is at the centre. She, the woman who does what every woman in love did and will do: she gives herself to him. What more sublime? Smile

Amor, ch’a nullo amato amar perdona
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

justTripn
Consigliere

Re: Thanks to all peoples!

Postby justTripn » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:37 pm

Asso, sure I'll help. I hope your next story takes at least two weeks, because I'm about to go on vacation and then to the con, but then I would love to help.

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, The Good that Men Do was not a perfect fix. You may be one of the first to tell you own story launching off of the book.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Hondafan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Hondafan » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:19 pm

I thought it was great but I havent read the good that men do is it good enough to purchase?

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:56 pm

Absolutely, you should buy The Good that Men Do! It was well written. An enjoyable ride! And even if I don't entirely love the "fix" and what it means for the Trip 'n T'Pol future, it was a good story and had plenty of Trip, all totally in character. And it validated the Trip 'n T'Pol love story to date, as shippers see it.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:25 pm

I have it, but still haven't read word one as of yet. Maybe soon.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:28 pm

And now for the dissenting view: it's a slightly above average-book with a lot of continuity errors and questionable logic behind the entire first half of the book. Trip hasn't been this reckless since early season 2, there isn't a good explanation for his decision-making in the beginning of this book, and the story leaves T'Pol in an absolutely crappy place (emotionally) at the end. A lot of the complaints about the "finale" (specifically that we don't see anyone grieve for their lost comrade) are not fixed, and I have a lot of problems buying this whole Trip as Spy nonsense.

So, I'd go so far as to say "Don't bother. Read some of the better-written finale fixes over at HoT instead."
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:42 pm

Strangely I agree with most of that and still really enjoyed the book. For me it's not an either/or (either read the book OR the fanfic). I can do both and keep all the universes straight in my head.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:46 pm

To each their own. I was just offering my dissenting opinion, given that I completely disagree with the numerous gushing reactions I generally see about it. Yes, I really liked it when I first read it - it was, after all, new & official ENT - but after the new wore off, I realized that I didn't much like it after all. Sort of like The Phantom Menace and how, once the "Hey, it's new Star Wars!" went away, I realized that it kind of stunk
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:24 pm

Hondafan wrote:I thought it was great but I havent read the good that men do is it good enough to purchase?

I suggest borrowing it from the library first if you are able.

Shakabutt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Shakabutt » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:00 am

I posted in the disscusion thread of the book (http://triaxiansilk.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108&start=150) a link where you can download a PDF version of the book if you don't have the means to get it or want to sample it before buying .

And ,like the guys from Razor1911 always say : "IF YOU LIKE THE RELEASE ,BUY IT!" Smile

and I have a lot of problems buying this whole Trip as Spy nonsense.

Rigil, if the writer has the skills to make it believable and entartaining then i think its okay.
If you go and tell someone who hasn't read your stories that Trip is the captain of Starfleets most advanced starship and in comand of a battle group , until that person reads your stories he will be very skeptical. Smile

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:38 pm

Shakabutt wrote:Rigil, if the writer has the skills to make it believable and entartaining then i think its okay.

Therein lies the problem, IMO. They failed to accomplish that for me, and it came off as unbelievable and wildly OOC.

If you go and tell someone who hasn't read your stories that Trip is the captain of Starfleets most advanced starship and in comand of a battle group , until that person reads your stories he will be very skeptical. Smile

The difference there is that we saw Trip as an effective commanding officer during the run of the show (the Super!Archer & Sidekick!Polly's Amazing Desert Adventure arc, for example) so there is a precedence already in place for him being a good ship's captain. I didn't suddenly pull something out my fourth point of contact and run with it.

And once again, I feel like I'm having to defend my opinion for not thinking this book is the best thing since sliced bread. I added a dissenting opinion and then clarified something, an opinion that I completely stand by. I didn't try to convince someone that I was right and they were wrong. I merely stated my problems with it.

You'll notice that I'm not the only one who wasn't as impressed by it as some of you are. Here on these boards, Asso has expressed a dislike of it, and over at HoT, there were three or four people including ableone who also didn't like it. I've got several emails from people who have discovered my website and my fics who have also stated that they didn't like TGTMD (usually for the same reasons that I didn't care for it), including one person who was very vociferous in her dislike of the book. So, it's not just me.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:23 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Yes, I really liked it when I first read it - it was, after all, new & official ENT - but after the new wore off, I realized that I didn't much like it after all. Sort of like The Phantom Menace and how, once the "Hey, it's new Star Wars!" went away, I realized that it kind of stunk

In this, I must agree with Rigil. Oh dear. Faint I'd better go lie down.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:23 pm

I liked the book....but in all fairness to those that didn't....I could see why they didn't.

Different strokes for different folks.

Nothing wrong with that.
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:42 pm

Yes, it seems like an arguement about whether the glass is half full or half empty. The two "sides" on the issue are very similar.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:33 pm

I think I should speak again because of two reasons.

First.
Other persons had words of esteem for me (Distracted, krn, Linda, Dinah, Reanok, besides justTripn, tennisgirl and Blackn'blue) and I feel the obligation of to thank them (above all why for me they are "maestro").

Two.
The matter of The Good That Men Do and of Trip , who does the spy.

Rigil wrote:
…and I have a lot of problems buying this whole Trip as Spy nonsense.
and still:
The difference there is that we saw Trip as an effective commanding officer during the run of the show (the Super!Archer & Sidekick!Polly's Amazing Desert Adventure arc, for example) so there is a precedence already in place for him being a good ship's captain. I didn't suddenly pull something out my fourth point of contact and run with it.
and still:
You'll notice that I'm not the only one who wasn't as impressed by it as some of you are. Here on these boards, Asso has expressed a dislike of it, and over at HoT, there were three or four people including ableone who also didn't like it. I've got several emails from people who have discovered my website and my fics who have also stated that they didn't like TGTMD (usually for the same reasons that I didn't care for it), including one person who was very vociferous in her dislike of the book. So, it's not just me.

Yes, I think like Rigil on TGTMD (perhaps also worst, because I think it as a sullen commercial business that does not hold account of the true values of Enterprise).
As for the fact that Trip is able to be a Captain, well, yes, even if a captain slightly different from the captain imagined from Rigil.
He is a man with varied skill and, so, is able also to be a spy. But, honestly, the thing seems me a little forced. He is an engineer, the most capable, and, in my head, I think about other reasons for his "death".

We will see.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”