Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

putaro
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: "Missing scenes from Season Four" discussion

Postby putaro » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:44 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
Cogito wrote:... and you'll never guess how we pronounce "Marylebone" or "Cholmondeley". :lol:

Due to a sometimes odd interest in British colonial history I happen to know that the latter is pronounced "Chumly".

The other must be pronounced "Tennessee Tuxedo" then.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:01 am

Can't speak to Kotik's point, since I can only go by how my English-born professors pronounced those, or how I heard it when they pronounced it. It certainly wasn't the Spanish or the French pronunciation, respectively, which is what Americans try to approximate with those names.

Scotland is full of funny pronunciations. Culross sounds like Coors (to my ears -- no doubt I'm missing some subtle intonations in there). And, of course, many Americans call it Edinburg although it's pronounced Edinburah (roll the r a little and yes the gh is still kind of in there, but it's a very soft ghostly gh).

In Norwich, where I was at uni, I once tried to buy a bus ticket to neighboring Wymondham, only to be told it was "Windum."

My father and I took a trip to England to celebrate my master's degree, and we were so used to this pattern that by the time we arrived at the small, lovely coastal Devon town of Boscastle, we'd spent a fair amount of time debating all the various ways in which it was likely to be pronounced (I think I put my money on "Boksel"). The lady at a local tea shop we asked about it looked quite perplexed. "It's Boscastle," she said, exactly as it's written. :)

Wikipedia has a page for this! It's rather fun. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_na ... unciations
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:04 am

There was a version of "A mid-Summers Night Dream" done in the mid 1930's. Mikey Rooney played Puck. One cast member I can recall. I liked it actually. Others may have found it hokey.

Olivier in Othello put me off. I don't know who played Iago but he was a better actor than Olivier.

One thing. the Moor is always done in Blackface. However, Moors are fairly light skinned, have straight black hair. Where they got this Blackface from ws that the Englsih called them "Blackmoors" Of course anything that wasn't pasty white was considered Black by the English. Moors, ruled most of spain for 700 years and scicily for almost as long. That is where the Spanish come by their swartheness (sp). Castilian Spanish are Blonde and blue yed or Red Haired and green eyed. That is the true Spanish. But the spanish under Moor rule did not have kinky hair or were Black.

Trivia. The Irish get their Red Hair from the ships of the Armada that crashed on the shores of Ireland after being caught in the story in the English channel. The crew married in to the loal populace and gave the Irish their Red Hair (Or at least that is the story I have and I am sticking to it)

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:28 pm

Missing Scenes from Season Four: The Forge
by Alelou.

I really like this one, with a Phlox :phlox: POV.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:41 am

It works very well on occasion to tell a story through the eyes of another person. I thought it worked well with the last chapter of Home and also with this chapter. Only Phlox could make us feel - by his observations - that Trip isn't doing well.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:38 am

There wasn't any real speck of TnT to develop in that episode, so Phlox gave me a way to talk about what really bothered me (besides the weird close-up camera angles) -- that Trip would be so callous.

I believe the story I mentioned in the author's notes was "Puzzling Connections" by Ragua: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3027997/1/Puzzling_Connections. She makes excellent use of Soval.

I don't think I could have survived writing the scenes for Season 4 without the chance to break out and see it through the eyes of other characters.
Image.Image

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:23 am

Thank you, I haven't read that for far too long. I know Ragua sets the bar very high, but even so I fail to see how she could consider that a "very clumsy attempt".

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:08 pm

Puzzling Connections is a favorite of mine: it has Soval, excellent story telling, Vulcan thinking and of course the fact that Soval sees signs of the bond. And that last line offers a great explanation what happened next.
Love is a verb.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:16 pm

ShouldKnowBetter is my personal favorite among TnT fanfic authors, and probably the most kindred spirit, but if I had to rank TnT fanfic authors solely on the basis of technical mastery and entertainment value, I'd put Ragua at the top of the list. "Miscommunication" is perfection.
Image.Image

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:44 pm

Alelou wrote:ShouldKnowBetter is my personal favorite among TnT fanfic authors, and probably the most kindred spirit, but if I had to rank TnT fanfic authors solely on the basis of technical mastery and entertainment value, I'd put Ragua at the top of the list. "Miscommunication" is perfection.

I'm with you on Ragua's Miscommunication - it's absolutely perfect, but I have to disgree on ShouldKnowBetter - "So'Ke'fe" is the most offending thing I've ever read. The rest of the series is beautifully written, but that single piece of offending writing renders the rest of it utterly pointless.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:54 pm

Alelou wrote:ShouldKnowBetter is my personal favorite among TnT fanfic authors, and probably the most kindred spirit, but if I had to rank TnT fanfic authors solely on the basis of technical mastery and entertainment value, I'd put Ragua at the top of the list. "Miscommunication" is perfection.

Ah, yes, it's a superb story. The adventure is great, of course, but what really sets this apart for me is the superb characterisation of Trip and T'Pol.

Ragua wrote:T'Pol and Trip gazed at each other uneasily for a moment. Then T'Pol moved closer to the biobed, taking up the seat the doctor had vacated.

"You have managed to irritate the doctor," she commented. "That is usually very difficult to do. He is normally the most agreeable of individuals."

"Can't help it," the surly engineer responded, uncomfortable with their first conversation since Modinok. "That stuff tastes like crap!"

T'Pol gave the bowl she held a searching look before turning back to him. "As I have never consumed excrement, I will have to accept your assessment."

Trip stared at her in disbelief, a spontaneous guffaw erupting from his throat. T'Pol took the opportunity to plop a spoonful of mush in his mouth.

Really, T'Pol thought as she watched him struggle to swallow, the number of expressions a human face is capable of is quite remarkable.

'Homecoming' and 'Court and Spark' are every bit as good in the same theme and I'm really sad to see from the authors notes for Court and Spark that it's unlikely there will be any sequels.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:49 pm

T'Pol gave the bowl she held a searching look before turning back to him. "As I have never consumed excrement, I will have to accept your assessment."

:tears: :tears:

I could so see Trip and T'Pol in this scene. Thanks for the laugh.
Love is a verb.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:29 pm

I noticed something very interesting in the last missing scene of Kir'Shara.

Trip and Jon visit T'Pol to pay their respect after her mothers passing and the following happens:

T'Pol looked up to see Trip watching her, but he averted his eyes quickly.

Still not forgiven, then. She took a careful breath, trying to gain the proper objective distance, trying not to let her rage at him for what felt like an ongoing betrayal rise to a level that would let everyone in the room notice just how tenuously she was maintaining her emotional control.

Bold words are mine. Trip is avoiding T'Pol, because she is a married woman. However, she feels like he is blaming her (which he is) and doesn't push her away because he sees her "behind the fence", but because he hasn't forgiven her.
She sees this as betrayal and she is furious about it.

For me, I see Vulcan culture as a "shame" culture - what important is that you don't disgrace the group. She has married Koss to avoid that shame and now Trip seemed to be shaming her (the word indicated that).

Trip comes from a "guilt" culture: you're responsible for your own action and if you make mistakes, you carry the guilt. He treats T'Pol like that and she feels totally alone.
Love is a verb.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:58 am

It's very "East" vs "West", actually, which makes sense, since Roddenberry initially modeled the Vulcans after Eastern culture.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:50 am

Cool beans. I wasn't thinking any of that consciously, but it makes sense. (I was really just trying to make the two of them -- and the scripts -- make sense.)
Image.Image

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”