Your Friendly Neighborhood Call for Donations!

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Your Friendly Neighborhood Call for Donations!

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:21 pm

Good Afternoon/Morning/Evening folks,

It's about that time again, for Triaxian Silk to do a little Spring (Late Summer) cleaning and renewal! I was sitting here on Star's kitchen table as I was renewing our site for another year and thinking - what a wild and amazing 6 years it has been since we first struck out on our own into the vast and violent unknown of the internet wilderness to attempt this little Star Trek experiment. I can hardly believe it's really been that long. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate the patronage, the support and most dearly the loyalty and trust that all of you have placed in us to carry this proud and beautiful fandom of ours forward into the future. Over the years, our administrative ranks have been a shining example of an administration "by and for" the users themselves, and without their tireless and talented efforts, we wouldn't have made it past day 1. We appreciate any assistance anyone can continue to lend to keep the torch between our two favorite lovers burning as bright as ever!

Use the link below for fast and convenient Paypal donations to our Triaxian Silk account!

"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Your Friendly Neighborhood Call for Donations!

Postby Cogito » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:15 pm

It's never occurred to me to wonder how TriaxianSilk hosting costs are funded. How much does it cost? Is that cost covered by donations?

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:32 pm

Basically like this, every few years we renew the hosting contract and I issue a request for donations. I decided when we started this thing that I'd personally own the domain since the costs are negligible, but the hosting service is a little more. It's roughly about $100/yr. Sometimes we're under and I make up the cost, sometimes we're over and the money just sits in the TriS Paypal account until the next time around - which makes things so easy! It's really appreciated!
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:44 pm

Elessar wrote:Good Afternoon/Morning/Evening folks,

It's about that time again, for Triaxian Silk to do a little Spring (Late Summer) cleaning and renewal! I was sitting here on Star's kitchen table as I was renewing our site for another year and thinking - what a wild and amazing 6 years it has been since we first struck out on our own into the vast and violent unknown of the internet wilderness to attempt this little Star Trek experiment. I can hardly believe it's really been that long. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate the patronage, the support and most dearly the loyalty and trust that all of you have placed in us to carry this proud and beautiful fandom of ours forward into the future. Over the years, our administrative ranks have been a shining example of an administration "by and for" the users themselves, and without their tireless and talented efforts, we wouldn't have made it past day 1. We appreciate any assistance anyone can continue to lend to keep the torch between our two favorite lovers burning as bright as ever!

Use the link below for fast and convenient Paypal donations to our Triaxian Silk account!

Hi Elessar,

I'd like to make a donation towards Triaxian Silk's costs when I get my Social Security Disability check in September. (Sorry I can't do it this month, after that trip to the thrift store to pick up some badly needed skinny clothes recently (as I discussed in the "What Are You..." thread here) and then paying my sister back the money I've owed her for months, there went my Renter's Rebate and I'm broke till I get paid next month). But the only thing is, I can't go through Paypal though. It's partly because I no longer have a credit card (I had to file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy when I lost the house after my mom died) and partly because I'm way too paranoid about entering any financial information about my checking account into my computer anyway. Oh, I know they say its safe and millions of folks do online banking, use Paypal, etc - but I'm more than a bit phobic about it because of all the trojan horses I've ran into who could be keylogging any information I'd type into a secured site and because I tend to play pretty rough online, I don't want anything more personal than say my library card number discovered if a hacker would break into my computer. (I have a firewall and use Norton Security Suite, but thats still not too reassuring if you're someone like me who frequents somewhat shady websites hackers target a lot). Anyway, if you would please either PM me here or email me at shadyladyfakes@comcast.net with a name and address I could mail a money order to next month, I'd be more than happy to make a donation towards the upkeep of your fantastic website, I LOVE it here and would like to do my part to try to help out. (Oh, and it doesn't have to be your own name and address (I'm not trying to invade your privacy at all here, boss!) I could just leave the money order blank inside for you to fill out your own name on and if you'd like, just address the envelope to a "Joe Smith" or any other name you'd like and mail it to you in care of say your parents, or girlfriend, or best friend, or anyone's address where you know you can trust the person to give you my money order. (BTW, money orders are better than personal checks because your bank will give you the cash for it immediately, it's not like you have wait for a check from out of state to clear the bank or anything like that at all). Anyway, I hope that's okay because I'd like to help out when I get my check next month (I love Triaxian Silk) but I just can't go through Paypal though because I'm just too spooked to enter any personal financial information into my computer that could be read by a keylogger lurking inside a trojan horse and I run into threats alot because I do play a little rough online, sorry about that; so I hope its okay if I just send you a money order via snail mail next month instead.
http://home.comcast.net/~shadyladyfakes/ - my home page
http://photobucket.com/shadyladyfakes/ - my Enterprise screencaps (they're mainly close-ups!)

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:35 pm

I gave at the office.

Literally.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:29 pm

What, we have an office now? :o

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:05 pm

Transwarp wrote:I gave at the office.

Literally.

Your donation was incredibly appreciated, as was everyone's! Thanks folks we're doing great!
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:55 am

Elessar wrote:
Transwarp wrote:I gave at the office.

Literally.

Your donation was incredibly appreciated, as was everyone's! Thanks folks we're doing great!

Glad to hear you're doing great there (thats wonderful news!) but can I still send you a money order in September? (sorry I can't use Paypal)
http://photobucket.com/shadyladyfakes/ - my Enterprise screencaps (they're mainly close-ups!)

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:10 am

marchale wrote:can I still send you a money order in September?

Heck, you can send ME a money order any time you want. You don't even have to ask!

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:25 am

Transwarp wrote:
marchale wrote:can I still send you a money order in September?

Heck, you can send ME a money order any time you want. You don't even have to ask!

:rotflmao: :lol: Do you work for Elessar here on this website?

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:44 pm

marchale wrote:Do you work for Elessar here on this website?

No. I'm not smart enough to work on websites!

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:23 pm

Transwarp wrote:
marchale wrote:Do you work for Elessar here on this website?

No. I'm not smart enough to work on websites!

Well, don't feel bad there, I'm sure not smart enough to do anything technical either, my "plain Jane" style website is evidence of that :guffaw: (and I couldn't even do that if I wasn't using a "what you see is what you get" home page building program that writes out the HTML code for me). No, if folks start "talking tech" to me, I have to look up the terms they're using to see I can figure it out because I'm totally lost and it sounds like a foreign language to me. (BTW, I figured you were probably just joking with me there, but when you mentioned earlier here about "giving at the office, literally" I thought maybe you do work for Elessar here at Triaxian Silk. Sorry, I'm often not smart enough to figure out when folks are joking - I'm about as "socially awkward' as Data is when it comes to grasping humor, that's what I get for being a bit too Vulcan like at times regarding that.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks so much to everyone for the outpouring of support! It was really quite inspiring :D

I'm going to go ahead and close down this thread to indicate that we've reached the goal for keeping things open for another year, we really appreciate all of your hard work and dedication these past years and we don't plan to go anywhere any time soon! Thanks! :hug:
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Bwahahahaaaa! I used my Mighty Mod Powers to unlock this topic for one more donation! :twisted: Only $5 cause I'm wickedly poor right now, but I didn't wanna be left out! :lol: Okay. Done now. Re-locked. :starfleet:
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”