Kotik's Classics

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Re: Kotik's Classics

Postby Kotik » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:46 am

Alelou wrote:When I can go back in and fix the type, I'll just make it small enough to stay within regs. (If I shrink it any further from what it is right now, parts of it become illegible.)

Okay, this is now 100 pixels times 350 pixels. (Anyone know how I make it into a link?)

[ URL=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7797178/1/North_Star ] [ IMG ]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll314/Alelouya/NorthStarpromocorrectsize.jpg[ /IMG ] [ /URL ]

just remove the spaces before and after the brackets and it looks like this :

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Oh, thank you!

Is this still considered html? Why do all the sites I google about it still use "< and >" instead of "[ and ]"?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Kotik wrote:
Alelou wrote:When I can go back in and fix the type, I'll just make it small enough to stay within regs. (If I shrink it any further from what it is right now, parts of it become illegible.)

Okay, this is now 100 pixels times 350 pixels. (Anyone know how I make it into a link?)

[ URL=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7797178/1/North_Star ] [ IMG ]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll314/Alelouya/NorthStarpromocorrectsize.jpg[ /IMG ] [ /URL ]

just remove the spaces before and after the brackets and it looks like this :

Thanks also from me. :hatsoff:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:12 pm

The stuff with square brackets isn't HTML, but it's a markup language called 'BBCode' that is common to many forums. It's close enough to HTML that the forum software can convert it to HTML very easily - mainly by replacing '[' and ']' with '<' and '>'.

As far as I can see, the forum rules permit animated GIFs as well as static images in signatures. If so, those people with several pictures to show could stay within the forum rules about signature size by displaying them as a single image that shows the different pictures in a slideshow.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:01 pm

^^ What Pete said.

The square brackets are Forum-Codes. HTML-code is usually not allowed in forum posts, since errors in them could wreck the whole page display. That's why these forum codes were invented.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:36 pm

That makes sense! You learn something new every day...
Image.Image

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:14 pm

Welcome to our home. Please place your thumbprint on the legal waivers and deposit your admission fee in the slot by the door. Remember, my house is my house, folks :greed:

I nearly forgot this months classic, but only just 8) It's time again to take a look at a classic piece of fanfiction and the author of this months showcase is our very own

Black'nBlue :clap: :clap:

and his fantastic AU series starting with:

1. For Want Of a Nail
Looks like we're not the only ones, who can't make any sense of *the_abomination*, so Daniels and two unexpected members of the Tucker clan step in to undo the mess. Soval's office is redecorated in the worst possible manner and Trip has to watch out for ducks.

2. In The Cold Of The Night
This is one of the most influential stories in the community. It introduces the clan concept that has inspired several other authors. It also introduces Eldest Mother T'Para, who, together with Dinah's Torok, Quill's Soma and Bluetiger's Granny Theresa, is one of the all-time greatest OC. :thumbsup:

3. Father To The Man
Koss returns and that can only mean trouble and Eldest Mother T'Para has to engage in pair therapy.

4. Purgatory
Trip takes a hike through the desert - that can't be a good idea. Malcolm gets to meet his better half, reluctantly at first. I wan't to use this opportunity to sink down to my knees and beg BnB to give us more of this particular romance :angel:

5. Hess+Kov
This story proves that not only human males can be jealous idiots. Vulcans do not seem to be immune either.

6. Vahklas
Still WIP, but shaping up to be a true classic. I absolutely love little Lizzy in that one and of course "Eddest", too :clap:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Hess+Kov is one of my favorite stories ever! I'm still waiting for Black'Blue to write a Trip Guts Tolaris fic. I'm surprised you didn't put up his MU effort it's wonderful! Very ancient Rome-like.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:07 am

I was just beginning to wonder if the stress of selecting monthly readings had done in Kotik....
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:54 am

<drawl>
Greetings y’all! And welcome all you danged foreigners from other nations. Dear Lord be with our guests and prepare them for the butt whopping they're about to receive.
</drawl>

It's another month and time for another classic. This time the ride takes us to CX's Guardian of Forever, which hosts a series from this month's author in the spotlight *drumroll*

Eian Flannagan

So let's dive in head first into Eian's Happy Medium Universe :fasthorse:

Perpetuating the Misunderstanding
Not Close Enough
Saying Goodbye...as well...as hello
Before Everything Else
The Second Tenet
Hematology, Perspiration and Lachrymal Angst
Tucker Tenets
Cheated

enjoy everyone, :hatsoff:
Kotik

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:46 pm

Kotik wrote:
So let's dive in head first into Eian's Happy Medium Universe :fasthorse:

Thanks for giving me an excuse to re-read these magnificent stories!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Not to diss the Guardian of Forever, but those stories are here too.
Image.Image

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:00 pm

I know, Alelou, but I also wanted to give a pointer to TGOF, because it hosts some stories that are not featured here. :)

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:50 pm

Excellent choices....Kotik please self congratulate with a liter of your favorite brew!
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue May 01, 2012 9:28 am

ImageImage
Cecilia, you're breaking my heart
You're shaking my confidence daily
Oh, Cecilia, I'm down on my knees
I'm begging you please to come home

Hello and welcome everybody to the May edition of Kotik's classics. :hatsoff:

This month's entry is the big one. It is - in my opinion - the best piece of ENT fanfiction ever written. While drogna's work got me interested in fanfiction, this month's entry convinced me to write some myself. A round of applause please for

The Reconnecting series
ImageImageImageImage

by the fantastic HopefulRomantic. For the unlikely case that there is someone, who hasn't read it yet, please do. The author's name is not a coincidence. It surely is a very romantic piece of writing. The biggest point about it is, that it is gripping from the first chapter to the last without going into overdrive with the angsty bits. Here we have an author, who proves the theory wrong, that you need a truck load of angst and conflict to make a tale work.
It also fits in neatly with the season four discussions we had for the past days, because it is a huge honking AU season 4 rewrite that fixes many a character along the way - Papa Archer, Uncle Soval, Trip's father, just to name a few. Couple that to a very sharp sense of humour and you have one of the truly classical pieces of fanfiction :clap:

The story is archived at ff.net, HoT and The Delphic Expanse, but I will use the ff.net links, because HoT doesn't allow comments and DE's archive requires registration (at least if you want to leave comments). Those however, who would fancy an author's reply to the comments be advised to leave them in the DE archive, because HR is still active there from time to time. She's also a moderator at the TrekBBS.

Strap in everybody, lets go for a ride Image

1. Reconnecting
2. Renewing
3. Remembering
4. Reaching Out
5. Rejoicing
6. The Land of Might Have Been
7. Each Touch a Promise
8. For As Long As Ever Lasts
9. Never And Always (skip chapter 10 if you don't like NC-17 content. The story works perfectly without it)
10. Touching and Touched (skip chapter 14 if you don't like NC-17 content. The story works perfectly without it)
11. First Light
12. Redivivus

Enjoy :hatsoff:

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”