Kotik's Classics

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Kotik's Classics

Postby Asso » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:23 pm

Cogito wrote:You know, it's a real shame that there's no way for authors to be told when people have commented on their stories.

I'm sure I'm not the only writer who checks recent stories obsessively for new comments, But I'm sure that most authors won't looking for new comments on stories posted years ago. As a reader, I'm discouraged from posting comments on these much-loved classics, because I don't think they will ever reach the author.

If only we had a way for those authors who are forum members to be notified of new comments, I feel sure that authors would be encouraged to know that their old stories are still being read and cherished by their fans. And, who knows, maybe they might feel motivated to return to write another story?

Soundly true.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:56 pm

Cogito wrote:If only we had a way for those authors who are forum members to be notified of new comments

In the current confirguration there is no way to implement that, as both stories and comments are posted without any connection to any account, meaning there is also no email address assigned to them, so it is technically impossible. Accepting the danger of stepping on a few toes, I'd say the software of our site is woefully out of date. FF.net has the option, even Aquarius' site has it, but in our current configuration, we can't do that.
Maybe if we join forces, we could modernize the archive software. I've offered help several times, so I'd like to renew that offer. I think we could bring the archive software up-to-date in as few as 4 weeks as it is not exactly rocket science. An added bonus would be, that if we tie archive comment to forum accounts, we could get rid of that ridiculous captcha thing.

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:36 am

Kotik wrote:
Cogito wrote:If only we had a way for those authors who are forum members to be notified of new comments

Accepting the danger of stepping on a few toes, I'd say the software of our site is woefully out of date. FF.net has the option, even Aquarius' site has it, but in our current configuration, we can't do that.
Maybe if we join forces, we could modernize the archive software. I've offered help several times, so I'd like to renew that offer. I think we could bring the archive software up-to-date in as few as 4 weeks as it is not exactly rocket science. An added bonus would be, that if we tie archive comment to forum accounts, we could get rid of that ridiculous captcha thing.

I'd be willing to collaborate as well.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:15 am

Kotik wrote:

In the current confirguration there is no way to implement that, as both stories and comments are posted without any connection to any account, meaning there is also no email address assigned to them, so it is technically impossible. Accepting the danger of stepping on a few toes, I'd say the software of our site is woefully out of date. FF.net has the option, even Aquarius' site has it, but in our current configuration, we can't do that.

This seems like a great idea.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:01 pm

This is an fan fic site devoted to Trip and T'Pol.

Fan fic and reviews are the core business.

That means it should be easy to post your stories and reviews and to respond to reviews.

I am having trouble with commenting, because I get an error most of the time.

This adds stress when I comment. I even get more stressed and annoyed when I see a review of mine posted with spelling or grammar mistakes. Or I get something wrong and I regret posting the review. I just wished I could delete that review and write another one.

It's possible on other sites to delete and rewrite your review. It even possible not only to get a notification if your stories has a new review, but also a notification if the author's of the story you reviewed responded. Yes, that's also possible, a reply by the author on every single review.

The down side is that this system doesn't invite having a good discussion, like we see sometimes in the TRIS comment section.

But there another thing I like to bring up. I don't know how much financially is possible and what the site owner has in mind with this site, but one thing that could be improved as well is the way the stories are posted.

I have posted stories/chapters around 35 times at TRIS. Let me say I am very grateful TRIS gave me the chance to post my stories on the site. The first time I ever published a story was on this site and I am grateful for every story of mine that gets up.

Depending on the time when a story was submitted and the admin in charge - in my experience it takes an average of 10 days for a story of mine to get up.

When I posted the first chapter of The Captives Elessar contacted me and pointed out a mistake in a name. I was very grateful for his remark and the name got corrected.

I don't know if stories are still read and corrected before validation, but I think it's a good thing.

On other site you can submitted your stories and the admin looks at it and validates it.

This means that small mistakes can easily be corrected and you have a extra pair of eyes looking at your stories. Mistakes can be overlooked and especially when English isn't your first language I really welcome that extra set of eyes.

I have noticed some small mistakes in stories of mine posted on TRIS and there is nothing I can do about it. I have seen mistakes in other stories, like spelling mistakes or mistakes in names, that could easily be fixed if the writer could change the text after submission.

Also some of my stories are posted in strange format with bold letters and weird spaces. I don't think that kind of format is inviting people to read the stories.

If you were able to post your stories and edit them yourself plus you have an admin reading your story and validating it, it would not only save time for the admin to put your story up, but small, annoying mistakes in the text and format could easily be corrected.
The results are "better" stories.

Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by panyasan on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:47 pm

As a small additional notation, I would add that there are comments in some stories that do not relate to the story in which they are located.
For example, the comments you can find in Chapter 9 of "Depths" are in fact belonging to another story, totally different: "Valentine's Jokes."
What happened to the original comments of Chapter 9 of "Depths" ... well, who knows?
Perhaps this thread isn't the most appropriate place to say what's above, and I apologize, but I thought I'd take advantage (in a good way) of the occasion.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:51 pm

Hey Kotik,

Just wondering when you will be posting Feb's orders. Good luck topping last month!

Weeble
aka Steelchaser
><((((º>
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:36 am

Peace 'n Long Life, y'all :vulcan:

It's February and it's time for a new classic to hit the spot light. This months selection is a very special one for me, because it is the first piece of ENT fanfiction that I ever read. It started out as a finale fix and evolved into a brilliant series of stories. Please welcome on stage : Drogna :clap: :clap:

1. Desert Rose
2. A Thousand Years
3. Postcards From Deep Space One

Enjoy :hatsoff:

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:22 am

Aye aye capt'n!
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Kotik. This is a series that I have been longing to see continued.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Cogito wrote:Thanks for the reminder, Kotik. This is a series that I have been longing to see continued.

Me too. :D

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:32 am

When I was thinking about putting up my signature, I wondered if I should go check the guidelines about how large a signature can be in case it was was too big. Then I thought, "No, this has got to be smaller than Asso's, which has been up for a long time, so I should be okay."

Then I came home and saw your new and expanded signature, Asso.

Maybe nobody does dial-up anymore, but maybe it's also time we both read those guidelines again:
SIGNATURE LINES

-Do not use art signatures any larger than 100 pixels tall by 500 pixels long. If you want to post links to the last couple of stories you've written in your signature, go for it, but no more than three. Administrators will moderate on a case-by-case basis, rule of thumb is to keep it simple.

I see that mine is indeed too big by 50 pixels, so I'm going to pull it.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:40 am

Alelou wrote:When I was thinking about putting up my signature, I wondered if I should go check the guidelines about how large a signature can be in case it was was too big. Then I thought,
I see that mine is indeed too big by 50 pixels, so I'm going to pull it.

Wah!!!

I like that image. It reminds me what we've got to look forward to. :D

Maybe there should be an automatic exemption for pictures that include Trip and T'Pol? :D

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:11 am

Thanks for reminding us, Alelou. I'll pm Asso.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:54 am

When I can go back in and fix the type, I'll just make it small enough to stay within regs. (If I shrink it any further from what it is right now, parts of it become illegible.)

Okay, this is now 100 pixels times 350 pixels. (Anyone know how I make it into a link?)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”