Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Never apologize

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:05 pm

"Never apologize, it is a sign of weakness."

Big John Wayne said it in a few of his films and now Gibbs is saying it in NCIS

Can you imagine Archer, Trip or T'Pol saying anything so arrogant?

I have always believed the ability to apologize for a mistake, hurting some one accidently or on purpose, any number of reasons was a sign of great moral strength, not a weakness.

Perhaps I am wrong. I don't believe that Archer, Trip or T'Pol could ever say that. If I remember right they all apologized in the series.

But aside from that what do you think of the statement "Never Apologize it is a sign of weakness"

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Never apologize

Postby Cogito » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:24 pm

I think it takes a strong person to admit their mistakes to themselves and an even stronger one to admit them to somebody hurt by those mistakes.

Being too ashamed to admit your mistakes is imo a sign of a weak personality.

Feeling that you have to present an image of being perfect, of never making mistakes, is also a sign of a weak personality. It implies to me that you don't feel people would respect you if you were honest; that you have to lie and pretend to be somebody they will respect.

I choose not to believe that Trip or T'Pol would suffer from that particular flaw.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:33 am

PG Wodehouse wrote: "It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort of people take a mean advantage of them."

He might have a point, but since I usually can't tell which sort of people I might be dealing with, I make it a point to apologize when I'm wrong. In fact, I think MOST people freely apologize when they are wrong.

The bigger problem is that most people never think they are wrong...
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:33 am

Transwarp wrote:The bigger problem is that most people never think they are wrong...

I thought I was, once ...

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:42 am

Apologies are funny. They're just words but humans seem to be really wired to not admit fault. Getting my children to apologize is often very difficult.

Actually, I could see original flavor T'Pol (at the beginning of the series) never apologizing along with a lot of the other Vulcans. If you see no reason to say please or thank you, why should you apologize? By the end of the series, T'Pol is definitely so Human-socialized that she would admit mistakes.

Archer and Trip are supposed to be fairly "enlightened" from the beginning, so I would expect them to apologize.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:48 am

Cogito wrote:
Transwarp wrote:The bigger problem is that most people never think they are wrong...

I thought I was, once ...

But it later turned out I was mistaken. :D :hatsoff:

I'll get my coat. :oops:

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:23 pm

some people would cut their toungues out before admiting they had done wrong or made a mistake. Apologizing in their mind would be admiting to both.

However, that statement as said by Big John and gibbs to me is arrogant. They seem to be saying that they do not need to apolgize to people beneath them (which apparently is everybody) They are above that and anyone wo expects an apology from them. Wayne probably believed it. Not sure if Mark Harmon does. He may be just saying his lines.

Have I ever been wrong? Boy, have I ever. Mistakes are part of life. If you are not making mistakes you are not dong naything. In Government work that is a given. don't do anything, make no mistakes and you won't get noticed but will get promoted because you are an unknown, Funnny but it works.

SB

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:55 pm

Silverbullet wrote:some people would cut their toungues out before admiting they had done wrong or made a mistake. Apologizing in their mind would be admiting to both.

And that's my point. It's not that they (the 'some people' you reference) won't apologize. It's that they just can't realize they've done anything wrong to begin with. Why apologize if you're RIGHT?

I know (from personal experience) how easy it is to let the evidence of my own senses confirm what I personally believe. And *I'm* an open-minded and analytical person (or so I tell myself...). Admitting error is a hard thing to do for any of us.

This probably explains all those insincere apologies (for an example, see almost any recent politician or celebrity caught with his/her hand in the cookie jar): "I apologize if my words or actions have offended anyone."

An apology without any admission of wrong-doing! Perfect!

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:04 pm

Transwarp wrote:
This probably explains all those insincere apologies (for an example, see almost any recent politician or celebrity caught with his/her hand in the cookie jar): "I apologize if my words or actions have offended anyone."

An apology without any admission of wrong-doing! Perfect!

Rita Rudner had a great bit (supposedly quoting her husband): "I'm sorry...(long pause)...that you were stupid."

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:10 pm

Before I forget, there was another minor point I had:

Silverbullet wrote: that statement as said by Big John and gibbs to me is arrogant.

This is twice now you've called Wayne and Gibbs (by name) onto the carpet for arrogance. I advise caution here; they are ACTORS playing ROLES. The characters they portray do not necessarily share the same ethics and values as the actual actors.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:46 pm

Transwarp wrote:Before I forget, there was another minor point I had:

Silverbullet wrote: that statement as said by Big John and gibbs to me is arrogant.

This is twice now you've called Wayne and Gibbs (by name) onto the carpet for arrogance. I advise caution here; they are ACTORS playing ROLES. The characters they portray do not necessarily share the same ethics and values as the actual actors.

Morrison has said he played "John Wayne" in every movie role he ever played, and it does seem to me that his characters were all very similar. Certainly by the time he was established as a leading actor I think he would have had the common sense and clout to avoid saying things that were not true to the character of John Wayne. And without going into every movie in detail, it always seemed to me that he was a firm believer in "walk softly and carry a big stick" and "do what you believe is right regardless of the circumstances". I don't know if he ever did say that an apology was a sign of weakness, but that's not an expression that I can imagine his persona saying.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:08 pm

Cogito wrote: I don't know if he ever did say that an apology was a sign of weakness, but that's not an expression that I can imagine his persona saying.

According to Google, Wayne's character said "Never apologize and never explain--it's a sign of weakness." in the movie She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. Don't know what Gibb's character might have said.

This does not show John Wayne as being arrogant any more than playing T'Pol shows Jolene Blalock being an astrophysicist.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Woah Boys! Looks like you guys need a girl around here... Okay to the oringinal topic: Would Archer, Trip, and T'Pol ever ascribe to the philosophy that Appologizing is a sign of weakness? No! During the series they've each appologized for different reasons. That said, have they always appologized when they needed too? I would say no. But then again, I don't think it was deliberate. Some people don't realize they've messed up, for reasons that have nothing to do with an 'I'm always right' mentality. That's just something that happens with imperfect people.

Now as for John Wayne... Well, I've watched a few bios on him and some interviews with Maureen O'Hara (his "Duchess") appearently, he's appologize to her often! ;-) Smart Man! :-P

As for Leroy Jethro Gibbs... Yeah that is one of his "rules" however... I direct your attention to Rule #55: Sometimes you're wrong! As much as Gibbs drives me nuts about his views on appologies, he's not arrogent.

Mark Harmon... Everything I've ever read about him says that he is a courteous, humble, and generous man.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:47 pm

Thank you all for your views. I accomplished what I set out to do. Get some life in this board. Been too damned quiet in here. a little shake up does wonders.

I don't know now do I care what Wayne realy thinks. I remember seeing him on Laugh in. He was funnny and friendly although he had been run over the coals on that program. He was gracious as one could want. I don't like think he actually sucscribed to that "Never apologize....." statement As for Harmon It is what the writers have him saying. doubt if he holds to that either

SB

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:00 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Thank you all for your views. I accomplished what I set out to do. Get some life in this board. Been too damned quiet in here. a little shake up does wonders.

It *was* quiet. Thanks, SB, for beating me to the punch. I was just about to open up a thread titled "Does T'Pol have the hots for Archer?"

THAT would have stirred things up!

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”