The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Re: The Pick-An-Episode Challenge

Postby panyasan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:05 am

Found this interesting bit about Mary Sue:

A Mary Sue (sometimes just Sue), in literary criticism and particularly in fanfiction, is a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as a wish-fulfillment fantasy for the author or reader. While the label "Mary Sue" itself originates from a parody of this type of character, most characters labeled "Mary Sues" by readers are not intended by authors as such. Male Mary Sues are often dubbed "Gary Stu", "Larry Stu", "Marty Stu", or similar names.

While the term is generally limited to fan-created characters, and its most common usage today occurs within the fan fiction community or in reference to fan fiction, original characters in role-playing games or literary canon are also sometimes criticized as being "Mary Sues" or "canon Sues" if they dominate the spotlight or are too unrealistic or unlikely in other ways. One example of this criticism is Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

The term "Mary Sue" is from the name of a character created by Paula Smith in 1973 for her parody story "A Trekkie's Tale"[1]:15 published in her fanzine Menagerie The story starred Lieutenant Mary Sue ("the youngest Lieutenant in the fleet — only fifteen and a half years old"), and satirized unrealistic and adolescent wish-fantasy characters in Star Trek fan fiction. Such characters were generally original (non-canon) and female adolescents who had romantic liaisons with established canon adult characters, or in some cases were the younger relatives or protégés of those characters. By 1976 Menagerie's editors stated that they disliked

Mary Sue stories—the adventures of the youngest and smartest ever person to graduate from the academy and ever get a commission at such a tender age. Usually characterized by unprecedented skill in everything from art to zoology, including karate and arm-wrestling. This character can also be found burrowing her way into the good graces/heart/mind of one of the Big Three [Kirk, Spock, and McCoy], if not all three at once. She saves the day by her wit and ability, and, if we are lucky, has the good grace to die at the end, being grieved by the entire ship.

Today "Mary Sue" carries a connotation of wish-fulfillment and is commonly associated with self-insertion (the writing of oneself into a fictional story). True self-insertion is a literal and generally undisguised representation of the author; most characters described as "Mary Sues" are not, though they are often called "proxies"[4] for the author. The negative connotation comes from this "wish-fulfillment" implication: the "Mary Sue" is judged a poorly developed character, too perfect and lacking in realism to be interesting.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:14 am

On topic again: I like the idea about picking an episode. I thought about working through the episodes, starting with season one, episode one, but just picking an episode problably works much better.

It problably doesn't what we write: drabbles, poems, short/long stories, missing scene, as long as it has something to do with the episode?
I wrote one story about the episode Carpenter Street, because the person I wrote it for, wondered if such a boring episode could make a story. I ended up with a time-loop story in Spain and still had scenes out from Carpenter Street. :lol:

So you never know were our imagination leads us with the episode of E2. Looking forward to reading what others make of it. :hatsoff:
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:50 pm

Would Archer fit in to the Gary Stu catagory? He seemed able to do anything and knew eerything. He could be shot in to open space with out an EV suit and survive with just a little frost on him. Or maybe it was just that those around him were so weak and ignornt.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:05 pm

Let's start another thread for the "Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu" phenominon. I'll go do it. Here it is...viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1919
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:45 pm

So I started sketching out an E2 story, but what's this I end up with? Angst? ANGST?

No no no, I don't DO angst. Oh dear! :(

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:15 am

So, ginamr, are you in? We want to know what episode to do in July.
Image sig by chrisis1033

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:20 am

Cogito wrote:So I started sketching out an E2 story, but what's this I end up with? Angst? ANGST?

Embrace the angst!

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Distracted wrote:So, ginamr, are you in? We want to know what episode to do in July.

I may have misunderstood, but I thought Ginamr already said that the July challenge episode would be E2:

Ginamr wrote:Since we're in the middle of June, I can just make this July's challenge and give everyone an extra couple weeks. So to be clear: the July challenge will run from now until July 31.

This month's episode is: E2.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:47 am

Oops. Sorry. You're right. I missed that. Thanks.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:05 am

putaro wrote:
Cogito wrote:So I started sketching out an E2 story, but what's this I end up with? Angst? ANGST?

Embrace the angst!

I'm out :?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:14 am

Can't wait Cogito! :clap: Hey Kotik don't judge angst by it's cover, all angst is not created equal. Didn't you just write something that proves that?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:10 am

I haven't seen one of these challenges before. How do they usually work? I mean, do you writer types just all submit your stories as normal and hope the judge[s] spot them, or is there some secret process behind the scenes?

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:41 am

Challenges don't usually have judges. I'm not sure what's happening with this one but I've already voiced my opinion about why I think we shouldn't have a "judging". For previous challenges we just submitted the story as usual and asked the poster to add the name of the challenge to the genre listing at the beginning, like this:

A Wonderful Story
By fanficwriter
Rating: PG
Genre: Drama, "Pick-An-Episode Challenge"
Disclaimer: Not. Mine.

Body of Story. Yada, yada.

End
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:05 am

I agree, "judging" it would be a very bad idea. fan fiction isn't some of this ridiculous synchronized swimming stuff, where you have technical rules to follow, so the judging would purely be based on the "judges" (dis)liking of a story and hence the marks would not only be all over the place, it would also have the potential to hurt some of the squeamish. I personally have no prob if someone slates my work, but others might not be so laid back about it.

Judging -> :deadhorse: -> BAD

ginamr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby ginamr » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:11 am

Did I make a bad choice for this month's episode? I picked this one mainly because it has so many possibilities. I feel like I've disappointed all T'n'Ters on this one... :dunno: :? :doubt: :cry:
New:
Coming Home: Five+Epilogue
6.06: Fall Out

Under Construction:
The Prank War 2
Secret Meetings, Story Two--Wet
6.07: Vestiges of Qualor
Coming This Christmas (December 2012): White Christmas
Hybrid: Prologue & Chapter One--Inspired by Aquarius's "Tag" challenge.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”