Any updates on the next Enterprise Relaunch/Rom War book?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Re: Any updates on the next Enterprise Relaunch/Rom War book

Postby Kotik » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Cogito wrote:I'm never going to turn down a chance to see Jolene in a catsuit, so in many respects the people who gave us the splendidly statuesque borg and the similarly statuesque vulcan have got it right. But even so, it makes no sense from the character's point of view. It's not as if Jolene or Jeri needed that to make them attractive. In fact I thought T'Pol's most appealing look came from the scenes where she wore a standard Starfleet jumpsuit.

I think Jolene/T'Pol looked absolutely gorgeous in the ceremonial robes she wore, when she faked the trial in"Precious Cargo" with Archer. That's still my favourite pre-season 4 moment. :D

tambo2063
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Show On Map: No

Postby tambo2063 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:16 am

The new Enterprise book is in the galleys. Mike Martin says there are no new plans for anymore Enterprise books at this time, but who knows also he is working on a Titan book for 2012 :trip: :tpol: :ship:

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:09 pm

:trip: :tpol: I'm sorry to hear that I was hoping there would be more Enterprise novels I'm tired of all the endless Tng books they keep producing I don't like the Tng novels very much they're boring.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Reanok wrote::trip: :tpol: I'm sorry to hear that I was hoping there would be more Enterprise novels I'm tired of all the endless Tng books they keep producing I don't like the Tng novels very much they're boring.

To me it looks as if ENT always was the redheaded bastard child of TPTB. :doubt: It was IMHO the best series of all, without the Bruce Lee/Long Dong Silver-antics of Kirk or the holier than thou bullcrap of TNG, but who listens to the fans? *sigh*

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:21 pm

Sorry but I disagree. TOS and TNG had Iconic characters... DATA, Picard, Worf, Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, for sci-fi they were originals and set standards for all the others to come after. The problem with making prequals after the sequals is that you can't undo or re-make first impressions. And given the ratings drops, I'm afraid they did listen to the fans.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:47 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Sorry but I disagree. TOS and TNG had Iconic characters... DATA, Picard, Worf, Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, for sci-fi they were originals and set standards for all the others to come after. The problem with making prequals after the sequals is that you can't undo or re-make first impressions. And given the ratings drops, I'm afraid they did listen to the fans.

Pardon, dear, but we have to agree to disagree. Kirk shagged about averyone who couldn't run fast enough and the endless brawls do drag on. Picard was mindbogglingly boring except in "Best Of Both Worlds" and "Family". The whole holier-than-though attitude of TNG is utterly annoying.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:56 pm

I have to say that TNG has never managed to grab me: I changed channels after a few scenes.
TOS: Well, it is strange; it is the companion of my youth, but when I try to see it again ... I burst out laughing.
Nothing strange, you say, the world changes, things change. But ... why this does not happen to me with 'It Happened One Night'?
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Because It Happened One Night is still relevant. People still identify with the battle of the sexes it hasn't changed in 6000 years. The biggest problem with ENT is that it tried to re-invent the ST wheel. The problem was it couldn't be re-invented. They directly tried to copy what made TOS a success right down to some of the episodes. The problem was they couldn't do it. TOS was a product of a specific time, with a specific dynamic unique to that time. And the time past.

Personally, TOS is not a favorite of mine. Never has been. But I'm not of that time. If ENT had done something completely different scrapped the rip-offs of TOS I think it would have done more on the business end.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:57 pm

TOS, TNG, VOY and DS9 had more chances to shine, because they were better promoted and broadcasted on prime time. And things is the past always look better. But even VOY had trouble at the end to get good ratings.
Star Trek had lost his appeal and other sfi shows showed new ideas. So it's too easy to say "they listen to the fans and cancelled ENT."

I think the circumstances for ENT to get good ratings weren't very good. The creators seemed also out of ideas, but still could make some good episodes.

Actually, it's amazing that against all odds ENT still such great fan base.
Also, the fact that it ended so badly (*the_abomination* any one?) has lead to so much fan fic. In terms of fan fic, I think ENT is one of the most popular.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:12 pm

Ennt it was almost a carbo copy of TOS. There were some cosmetic changes: The Comm Officer was Asian and the Helmsman was black in Ent. However, they still had a Vulcan as Science Officer and First Officer. They just made the Vulcan a woman. They switched the Third person from the doctor to the Chief Engineer and tried to make him the comic relief as they tried with McCoy. But in fact it was Tos in different clothes. Archer was not quite Kirk. He was the Super Captain but he didn't romance eevery babe of the week as Kirk did.

Problem with Ent was there were too many mistakes. None of it worked right. Spock was Kirks First Officer but he didn't dog Kirks footsteps as T'Pol did with Archer. Spock was a federation Officer on a Federation ship. He was legally a Science Officer/First Officer. T'Pol was not so they used the bck door. Interstingly I still cannot find an episode where T'Pol was designated First Officer until season three in "Hatchery when Archer told T'Pol she was relieved as first officer. Considering that T'Pol was a civilian at the time she was not an officer so she couldn't be first officer. Nevertheless T'Pol acted as First Officer legal or not. Frankly I don't believe that sat too well. Not that people mided a female as first Officer but the way it was done.

Ent could have and should have been the best of the series as they had all of the previous series to learn from. Apparently none of TPTB watched the earlier series.

The Fan Fic shows what Ent could have been with a little thought, some proffesional directprs and a lot of continuity of characters and story lines.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:13 pm

I think the main problem wasn't a lack of ideas so much as a lack of focus and commitment to the story they wanted to tell. If they had had commitment to plots like the Vulcan Revolution, The Andorian alliance, and even the Suliban, I think it could have been very interesting. Also they missed out on some splended oppertunities to show how the Fedration came into existence. When I first heard about what ENT was supposed to be I was intrigued because they sold it as the history of the Federation. We got none of that. That's why I feel cheated by it.

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:14 pm

panyasan wrote:...Actually, it's amazing that against all odds ENT still such great fan base.
Also, the fact that it ended so badly (*the_abomination* any one?) has lead to so much fan fic. In terms of fan fic, I think ENT is one of the most popular.

You're quite right. :hatsoff:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

tambo2063
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby tambo2063 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:23 pm

I think Enterprise did well. From things i have read on this site and others they continue to gain fans. I grew up watching TOS reruns in the 70s. Remember the 70s three channels. Then came TNG same three channels and cable. Look at the channels you get now 250 plus DVR I think it would be hard for any of the Star Trek series to get any better ratings than Enterprise there is simple too much programing to choose from. :trip: :tpol: :ship:

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:18 pm

I think the premise of the series was to be about exploration, humanity learning how to be in space and the promise was that it would evoke a sense of wonder. The opening titles are definitely about that and I enjoy them immensely. Unfortunately, there are very few episodes that are about exploration that aren't boring. I think if the writers had had more imagination and had managed to give that sense of exploration and wonder that the show would have done better. Or, just give it up and go for full on space opera with lots of battles and explosions. That would have done well. Seasons three and four were basically space opera and four started to show some better writing but they got shut down.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:59 pm

Putaro, yo are right. No one knew exactly what was wanted. Problem might have been too many people pulling in different directions. TPTB, the suits of Paramount, the Bean Counters who wanted a profit to regain the companies investment. The Actors and the fans got left out of that mix. It showed by the lack of good writing, use of B grade actors as directors (to sve money on professional directors) Lack of continuity of characters, story lines. Some very stupid errors made. (Not unusual in Star Trek) I still believe the Xindi third season should not have happened. cancel that and go on space exploration instead. Lastly, the sries shoud have become an ensemble series like all of the other ST series (which were far more sucessful in terms of longevity because of it)

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”