How Would You Write Characters Who Don't Get Along With TnT?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Transwarp
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: How Would You Write Characters Who Don't Get Along With

Postby Transwarp » Mon May 09, 2011 2:37 pm

Distracted wrote: A fighter sees all others as potential opponents. A negotiator sees all others as potential allies. It's like the glass half-full vs the glass half-empty dichotomy

And the engineer sees the glass as twice as big as it needs to be.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 09, 2011 2:43 pm

This is why I find this topic facinating! Honestly in my own personality I find I'm both a fighter and a negotiator. I think that all people are both but the degree's vary. I will literally try to become invisible in about 80% of the times I'm confronted with people I can't get along with. Another 10% of the time I will try to heal any breaches. However and I admit this with some shame, if I'm well and truly unable to keep my peace I will go into all out attack mode.

Now we're all going to differ as to how we see TnT in these roles but for me I tend to see T'Pol as 90% negotiatior, 10% fighter. Trip is about 60% negotiatior, 40% fighter.

Transwarp could you explain your reasoning. Or is this a joke I'm not getting? :oops:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon May 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Transwarp wrote:
Distracted wrote: A fighter sees all others as potential opponents. A negotiator sees all others as potential allies. It's like the glass half-full vs the glass half-empty dichotomy

And the engineer sees the glass as twice as big as it needs to be.

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :thumbsup:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 09, 2011 3:17 pm

Ok let me in on the joke. Not fair!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon May 09, 2011 3:50 pm

WG, on Topic. Yo never did address Kelby. How would TnT view him? He damned near got them taken by the Mauders and made slaves. True, he didn't do it on purpose but did nevertheless. would they understand and forgive or hold it agianst him. Not a villan though.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 09, 2011 4:01 pm

Oh Kelby, I forgot. Him I put up to temporary insanity due to a hormonal imbalance. Which of course was beyond his control. T'Pol seemed to think he was okay, she didn't mention any personality conflicts, she believed he was capable, she just wanted Trip to come back. Trip wouldn't have left Enterprise in his hands if he didn't think he was capable, and got along with him well enough to be sure that he'd be a good leader for the engineering crew. So I'm sure they got along well enough.

And I thought Dis' points about "negotiators" and "fighters" was very relevent to this topic. A lot of how each of us would see characters who TnT would not get along with has to come from how we see TnT falling into to those catagories. So I thought it was OT.

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon May 09, 2011 4:20 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Now we're all going to differ as to how we see TnT in these roles but for me I tend to see T'Pol as 90% negotiatior, 10% fighter. Trip is about 60% negotiatior, 40% fighter.

Interesting. So as far as how they would act toward others, you think that T'Pol might be more tolerant of an unpleasantly confrontational person than Trip would be? Hmmm. I'm not sure I agree with that. They might deal with them differently, certainly, but I'm not sure that Trip would necessarily be the one to jump in the fight. T'Pol, I think, is more likely to do verbal battle rather than physical, but she'd certainly say something pointed and overly honest, and not just try to smooth things over. Trip, I think, might try southern charm rather than snide remarks. I suppose it would depend on the situation.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Well to tell the truth the way I saw it, the only time T'Pol was was willing to engage in any full blown confrontations was when she an Trip were having one. :lol: I mean those two actually like to argue. With Archer and others, she was less willing to have it out (for lack of a better term) usually she had a tendency to metaphorically roll her eyes and let events take care of themselves. For example with Archer on the treadmills, she made her point without getting into an arguement. She just jacked up her treadmill and Archer made a fool out of himself. Ah I forgot how much I enjoyed that scene. :badgrin:

Where as, Trip would usually try to charm his way out of a conflict, then ignore it, but finally he'd just blow! Like in Shuttlepod One with Malcolm. Remember when he finally got sick of Mal's letters. The man really let loose.

Of course these are just personality issues. Nothing to do with serious events, or dangers and such.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon May 09, 2011 4:59 pm

WG, remember in that treadmill Scene how T'Pol rubbed it in by saying "I can't keep up with you" Archer (perhaps Bakkula) was winded and looked like he needed mecical help.

SB

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 09, 2011 5:04 pm

No I don't remember her saying anything. Truthfully I don't think she deliberately set out to make a point. How could she know Archer would do something so childish? After all, he knows Vulcan's are physically superior. Her jacking up her treadmill was her way of refusing to be drawn into a dispute. Archer's reaction had the added benefit of proving her point.

Fics

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Mon May 09, 2011 5:13 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Ok let me in on the joke. Not fair!

So, if a glass is half-full (or half-empty), then it will hold twice as much liquid as it currently contains. A glass half the size would do the job. Therefore, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Yeah, not really all that funny. How about this?

GUIDE TO DEALING WITH REAL-LIFE SCIENCE FICTION:
What to do...
- if reality disappears?
Hope this one doesn't happen to you. There isn't much that you can do about it. It will probably be quite unpleasant.

- if you meet an older version of yourself who has invented a time traveling machine, and has come from the future to meet you?
Play this one by the book. Ask about the stock market and cash in. Don't forget to invent a time traveling machine and visit your younger self before you die, or you will create a paradox. If you expect this to be tricky, make sure to ask for the principles behind time travel, and possibly schematics. Never, NEVER, ask when you'll die, or if you'll marry your current significant other.

- if you get a phone call from Mars:
Speak slowly and be sure to enunciate your words properly. Limit your vocabulary to simple words. Try to determine if you are speaking to someone in a leadership capacity, or an ordinary citizen.

- if he, she or it doesn't speak English?
Hang up. There's no sense in trying to learn Martian over the phone. If your Martian really had something important to say to you, he, she or it would have taken the trouble to learn the language before calling.

- if you get a phone call from Jupiter?
Explain to your caller, politely but firmly, that being from Jupiter, he, she or it is not "life as we know it". Try to terminate the conversation as soon as possible. It will not profit you, and the charges may have been reversed.

- if a starship, equipped with an FTL hyperdrive lands in your backyard?
First of all, do not run after your camera. You will not have any film, and, given the state of computer animation, no one will believe you anyway. Be polite. Remember, if they have an FTL hyperdrive, they can probably vaporize you, should they find you to be rude. Direct them to the White House lawn, which is where they probably wanted to land, anyway. A good road map should help.

- if you wake up in the middle of the night, and discover that your closet contains an alternate dimension?
Don't walk in. You almost certainly will not be able to get back, and alternate dimensions are almost never any fun. Remain calm and go back to bed. Close the door first, so that the cat does not wander off. Check your closet in the morning. If it still contains an alternate dimension, nail it shut.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Transwarp wrote:So, if a glass is half-full (or half-empty), then it will hold twice as much liquid as it currently contains. A glass half the size would do the job. Therefore, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Yeah, not really all that funny. How about this?

I GET IT! :happyjump: And it's :guffaw: but lord I am so dense! :oops:

Transwarp wrote:GUIDE TO DEALING WITH REAL-LIFE SCIENCE FICTION:
What to do...
- if reality disappears?
Hope this one doesn't happen to you. There isn't much that you can do about it. It will probably be quite unpleasant.

- if you meet an older version of yourself who has invented a time traveling machine, and has come from the future to meet you?
Play this one by the book. Ask about the stock market and cash in. Don't forget to invent a time traveling machine and visit your younger self before you die, or you will create a paradox. If you expect this to be tricky, make sure to ask for the principles behind time travel, and possibly schematics. Never, NEVER, ask when you'll die, or if you'll marry your current significant other.

- if you get a phone call from Mars:
Speak slowly and be sure to enunciate your words properly. Limit your vocabulary to simple words. Try to determine if you are speaking to someone in a leadership capacity, or an ordinary citizen.

- if he, she or it doesn't speak English?
Hang up. There's no sense in trying to learn Martian over the phone. If your Martian really had something important to say to you, he, she or it would have taken the trouble to learn the language before calling.

- if you get a phone call from Jupiter?
Explain to your caller, politely but firmly, that being from Jupiter, he, she or it is not "life as we know it". Try to terminate the conversation as soon as possible. It will not profit you, and the charges may have been reversed.

- if a starship, equipped with an FTL hyperdrive lands in your backyard?
First of all, do not run after your camera. You will not have any film, and, given the state of computer animation, no one will believe you anyway. Be polite. Remember, if they have an FTL hyperdrive, they can probably vaporize you, should they find you to be rude. Direct them to the White House lawn, which is where they probably wanted to land, anyway. A good road map should help.

- if you wake up in the middle of the night, and discover that your closet contains an alternate dimension?
Don't walk in. You almost certainly will not be able to get back, and alternate dimensions are almost never any fun. Remain calm and go back to bed. Close the door first, so that the cat does not wander off. Check your closet in the morning. If it still contains an alternate dimension, nail it shut.

Did you make this up? If you did, take a break from Convicted and write a comedy. I haven't laughed so hard in at least a month! :clap:

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon May 09, 2011 6:59 pm

Transwarp wrote:GUIDE TO DEALING WITH REAL-LIFE SCIENCE FICTION:

<snip>

Man, you're cracking me up today! :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon May 09, 2011 7:19 pm

WG, if you have the Episode Night in Sickbay look up that scene. You will hear T'Pol say "I can't keep up with you" after she steps off her machine.

SB

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 09, 2011 7:26 pm

SB I do not now, nor have I ever had the DVD's. I can't afford them and I don't really want them.

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”