The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian
Show On Map: No

Re: Wedding Wear

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:34 am

ditto. knowing the t'pol character, she would probably think it "illogical" to worry too much about a dress which was only being worn for such a short period of time.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:26 am

Distracted wrote:There's one point you're not considering, Silverbullet. A woman buys a wedding dress for herself, not for her groom. My husband didn't even see my dress until the wedding, and frankly, as long as the dress wasn't obscene or hideous I'm absolutely certain that he couldn't have cared less about what it looked like. I bought it because I liked it and I thought I looked good in it. It reflected my tastes, not his.

YES! That is true, I hate to break it for all the men out there who love to believe that we women dress up and do all the girlie things to look good for them but in reality is about 95% for us male appreciation is just a nice bonus. Not saying that we don't like to make you men happy, WE DO but usually if we don't dress according to what WE like, we aren't confident. And it's not really the dress you men react to anyway, you react to us because we're feeling awesome and sexy. We mind trick you guys, if we think we look good and are happy, you want us more. Basic law of attraction Confidence=Sexy.

If T'Pol is going against her own preferences, she's not going to be comfortable, undermining her confidence. Trip will notice this and she wouldn't be nearly as attractive to him in that moment subconsciously.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:26 am

There's one point you're not considering, Silverbullet. A woman buys a wedding dress for herself, not for her groom. My husband didn't even see my dress until the wedding, and frankly, as long as the dress wasn't obscene or hideous I'm absolutely certain that he couldn't have cared less about what it looked like. I bought it because I liked it and I thought I looked good in it. It reflected my tastes, not his.

Absolutely. A woman tries and discards many dresses, so when she finally chooses, she buys the perfect dress, obviously. If the man can't see that this is the perfect dress, then there are already serious problems with this relationship. :lol:

Here's my 2¢:

I imagined what they would have it be on the show—during the Feb 2008 season 7 sweeps episode where they get married—and after thinking for a moment, I would bet that they would have it be a Vulcan dress à la the one she used with Koss, but for obvious reasons (as stated by SB) it wouldn't be the SAME dress, it would be a different one. She wouldn't go with a "white" human one, and Trip wouldn't want her to.

That's just my take.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:38 am

You know I always thought the vale thing she wore with the Koss wedding was FREAKY I was like... "Since when do Vulcans wear vales?" You know with all this wedding talk I gotta share this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wUPASp2 ... playnext=8 one thing is for sure T'Pol sohuld NOT wear "a gown shaped like a pastery"
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:56 am

OOooh you shoulda seen my dress. I tried all these dresses (I was 18). Priso and I were paying for the wedding ourselves, and I had budgeted $400 or something for the dress... something nice and simple from a proper store. And while I was there, (for fun) ( :roll: right) I tried on this really nice pricey one (just for fun!). I went back to the store 3 times with different women (friends/sisters/moms) to keep deciding on dresses and I tried on the expensive one ($950!) every time and modelled it for the girls (just for fun). Thick white French satin with a cathedral train of several feet and openwork lace all throughout, bajillions of tiny white beads and sequins hand-sewn into flowers etc all over the bodice/short sleeves. So, anyhow, I guess it was pretty obvious which dress I liked best ... cause a few days after I had pretty much settled on a nice $425 dress (hadn't bought it yet though), my MIL-to-be gave me an envelope with a nice greeting card — —and twenty red $50 bills fell out of it. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now, the in-laws, they're certainly not hard-up... but they are also not super well-to-do, so it was quite the gift (and that was 13 years ago too). I have the dress all put away in my closet for any of my younger sisters/daughters/granddaughters to use if they want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:08 am

Well, I'll probably never wear a wedding dress, at this rate I'm certain nobody is going to put up with me. But if I do, I'm going Jean Harlow glam! Definitely not a "marshmellow" dress. Both my sisters went poofy not me.

About the something old, new, borrowed, and blue. I'd say leave that out. Tradition is one thing superstition is another. T'Pol wouldn't appreciate it, and frankly it isn't vital these days and people in the 22ND century seem even less inclined to superstition then now.

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:32 am

I wore my grandmother's blue ribboned garter. :twisted: Then I gave it back. It was borrowed, after all. My dress, on the other hand, was brand spanking new. No beads or pearls. I hated those. Still do. Lace is what I like. I got mine from a wedding store in New Orleans. It was very nearly the cheapest one in the store because it didn't have pearls, crystals, beads and crap all over it, but it was the one I wanted. My mom was very happy.

Wanna know something neat? I wore my great-grandmother's wedding dress to my bridal shower. It was cream colored (after over sixty years the white lace had all yellowed and cream was as pale as a borax soak could get it) and it was calf-length, so it worked. I looked like a 20's flapper in that dress.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:35 am

Distracted wrote:Wanna know something neat? I wore my great-grandmother's wedding dress to my bridal shower. It was cream colored (after over sixty years the white lace had all yellowed and cream was as pale as a borax soak could get it) and it was calf-length, so it worked. I looked like a 20's flapper in that dress.

Me=Jealous! I love it!

Fics

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:21 am

Distracted could not be more correct. I could not have cared less what my wife's wedding dress looked like. And while I *do* remember what it looked like, and I *did* think she looked GREAT in it, I would have been just as happy and thought the same thing regardless what dress she wore. Heck, I thought she looked smashing in her dress blues, and would have been okay with her wearing those!

No, the choice of dress was hers. She wore her aunt's old wedding dress, because she had always loved it from the first day she saw it as a child. It had a great deal of meaning to HER. She certainly wasn't wearing it to please me. She wore a different hat than her aunt wore, and I recall she put in a great deal of time and effort into find just the right one, with just the right look she was aiming for.

Did I feel left out because I had no input into the whole process?

Heck, No! I was RELIEVED I didn't have to provide input. (Any husband who has ever gone with their wife to pick out tile, or paint, or wallpaper knows what I mean.)

I suspect I am not alone in this...
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:36 am

Transwarp wrote:Heck, No! I was RELIEVED I didn't have to provide input. (Any husband who has ever gone with their wife to pick out tile, or paint, or wallpaper knows what I mean.)

I suspect I am not alone in this...

:lol: This is why men should (usually) just stear clear of all asthetic choices. Just let us handle everything. Less stress on you, and we're happy! :D

Pssst Transwarp- I am working on reading the new chapter of Convicted but my attention span is shot today. I might need to read several times before I can review.

Fics

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:05 pm

I agree with you folks about how it should be up to the lady to choose her own wedding dress! Fortunatly, I'm one of those singles who wants to keep it that way so I'll never have to deal with that personally. I did however choose a wedding dress for T'Pol.

if you want to see it, it's at my brand new website for future fakes (as I can't get into my old website to upload it there anymore), here's the url: http://marchale.110mb.com/ - just click on the small fake of T'Pol on the website there and it will take you to the full size fake - you'll just need to click on it again then to get the large 994 x 1600 fake to load (as it's scaled back to 36% initially).

Silverbullet - I'm sorry, I know this isn't what you want at all by any means, but I'll still keep searching for the rest of the weekend for the T'Pol wedding dress picture you wanted, but I've already looked at tons of bridal shops online for about 20 hours there (ugh - talk about BORING!) and I can't find it anywhere yet. Anyway, I hope this will suffice till I can find something more appropriate to your tastes there, it's just something I liked and was itching to try (it's the first fake I made since 2005).

(I don't know, I'm not happy with that neck at all, it just doesn't look right, but I matched the size of the head, even rotated it 3 degrees to the left till the eyes had matched up perfectly, I don't why it seems strange to me though, maybe just because I haven't done any fakes in so many years? who knows? Anyway, I've been up all night playing with that and getting a new site there to load it on, so I'm going to bed - goodnight!)
Last edited by marchale on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://home.comcast.net/~shadyladyfakes/ - my home page
http://photobucket.com/shadyladyfakes/ - my Enterprise screencaps (they're mainly close-ups!)

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Okay, I will throw in the towel. Trip does not have anything to say about the dress. It is entirely up to T'Pol, But that was what I have been saying. She Wants to please Trip. so she chooses something that she likes and that she feels will please Trip.

Marchae, fine, wonderful. go with it.

I didn't see my wife in her wedding drress until she wallked down the ailse. She looked great in it. But I am sure I wouldn't have liked a potato sack.

I believe I mentioned some time ago that in the Late 30's and early 40's blue collar women wore business suits to get married in. they could be used for other occasions. Money was always tight so buying a wedding gown to be used once was out.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:24 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Okay, I will throw in the towel. Trip does not have anything to say about the dress. It is entirely up to T'Pol, But that was what I have been saying. She Wants to please Trip. so she chooses something that she likes and that she feels will please Trip.
SB

Wait a second! First of all SB nobody is trying to discourage you. Remember Ch 4 of my fic, she grew out her hair for Trip. But the point me, the gals, and Transwarp are trying to make is that while yes, it's nice that she wants to please Trip, when it comes to something like a wedding dress, the whole point it to please herself. Wearing a dress she would not choose for herself would not please Trip. And from what we saw on the show she prefers a Vulcan asthetic over a human one. T'Pol should always try to please Trip, as any woman in love should. But Not at the expense of who she is.

I thought the dresses ek chose were a great balance of human tradition with similar features of what she would be comfortable wearing. You CAN have your cake and eat it too. You just have to keep in mind your character is a Vulcan woman. And like all women she is stubborn about what she wants to look like! :twisted: ;-) ;-) :surprisehug:

Hey marchale! That dress works!!!!!

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Um, five pages on what wedding dress Polly might wear... :vulcan:

I'm going to side with Rigil here, just for practicality. Let's have a Betazoid wedding! :raspberry: :twisted:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:07 pm

T'Pol might not have a problem with that, but somehow I think Trip would. I mean seriously, even without the typical human hangups about being naked in a crowd, let's face it, as typical human men would you want your friends and family ogiling your naked bride on your wedding day? Riker was only able do consider it after almost 20 years of courtship, and the fact he'd been in connected to that culture for a couple of decades.

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”