The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Wedding Wear

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:45 pm

I wrtite mostly for my own amusement. For every one story I try to have put up I wrtie and erase six. Anyway, I am trying to write Trip and T'Pol's Human Wedding. What is hanging me up is what they wear:

I believe I have Trip pretty well outfited (many have designed Uniforms for him and the Best of British Luck to t hem. My design is purely my own)

He is wearing a Mid-Night Blue full length Jacket that comes down to his hips. It has Gold Buttons (but none on the sleeve) He wears Shoulder Boards with Silver Oak leaves on them (denotes a Full Commander) and Commanders stripes (Light blue) on the sleeves near the cuffs. The jacket buttons up at the Top so no tie or open neck (hated the uniform Archer had in the Abomination) On his left breast is three rows of ribbons. For Valor, participating in battles, the Xindi Action, etc. On his Neck he wears Star Fleets highest honor for his perilous climb between Columbia nd the Enterprise via a cable strung between the two ships. On his right Breast are two orders: the Order of the Vulcan Star and the Order of the Andornia Axe. Given by these Planets to non citizens for valor that aided their Planet. Two Grateful Planets that he saved from a costly and bloody war by his actions. (T'Pol inisted that he wears these because she wants everyone to know that her Husband to be is so Brave.) His Trousers are Light Blue, with a Mid-Night blue Stripe down the side of each leg. He wears Black Oxford Shoes, with laces. No gloves, Hat or sword.

T'Pol: this is my hangup. She knows that White has become a tradition on Earth among certain cultures. She also knows that it once symbolized Virginity that the bride was Chaste before the marriage. She also knows that she and Trip are mated and Bonded which means that she is not a chaste woman and can not wear white even if it is now traditional. (she adheres to the orginal intent of it) so what Color does she wear?" I opt for (Silver at the suggestion Of Distracted) go with her Bronze skin (looking like a good Florida Tan) but there I am stumped. Does she wear a traditional Veil or a different kind. Does it have a Train? Is the bodice tight?

any help here?

Sb
Last edited by Silverbullet on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Re: Wedding Wear

Postby Transwarp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Why not have them both in Starfleet dress blues? I think T'Pol would appreciate the practicality of that.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:11 pm

What is the etiquette regarding wearing of service uniforms at social events? Pretending that Starfleet behaves a lot like our contemporary military - is dress uniform appropriate attire for your own wedding? (I would think the answer would apply equally to both of them.)

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:34 pm

I was married in my Army dress blues. My wife, who was also an Army officer, chose to wear a traditional wedding dress. She could have worn her dress uniform if she'd wanted to.

I think women (human women, anyway) WANT to wear formal wedding dresses. They spend a great deal of time picking them out and making sure the accessories are all exactly right.

I don't see T'Pol caring quite that much.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:44 pm

I can see her caring what Trip cares about, even if she isn't concerned on her own behalf. (And I can quite believe that following tradition is important to her in its own right, too.)

But: how about dress whites? If you're considering wearing a uniform, it's hard to imagine any being better suited to a wedding.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:49 pm

Works for me.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:00 pm

Well I don't like the idea of a human wedding anyway! They had a Vulcan ceremony in E2 and Trip obviously thought that was AWESOME! However why can't she wear something traditional to her culture? Why does she have to wear human garb of any type? Even if this is a human ceremony why can't she be comfortable? She never wore a Starfleet uniform formal or otherwise even after she officially joined as an officer. She never wore human casual clothing even when sneaking out of the Vulcan compound. It seems to me her personal asthetic is for her own manner of dress. Vulcans don't have a specific criteria for wedding attire, she could reasonably any form of style or color for herself. Why not just keep it like that? Why mold her into something she isn't? Trip would want her to be herself.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:12 pm

It's not a new idea, but I like the thought of T'Pol wearing human style clothing and Trip wearing Vulcan style formal robes, to symbolise their respect for each other's culture.

Plus, that means T'Pol gets to wear a uniform and Image we already know that Jolene looks mighty fine in a uniform.

(I'll set aside any issue of whether they should have a human wedding in the first place because that was a given in the question, but for what little it's worth I think you get married once - no need to have multiple ceremonies in the next town, continent or planet.)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:19 pm

Cogito wrote:(I'll set aside any issue of whether they should have a human wedding in the first place because that was a given in the question, but for what little it's worth I think you get married once - no need to have multiple ceremonies in the next town, continent or planet.)

I only mentioned not liking a human ceremony because their canonical choice is one of the few things Mike Sussman did with them I agree with. :evillol: Oh I concur vehemently! I do not understand this concept of multiple weddings that is even starting to crop up among non-celebs. Take it seriously, it's not just an excuse to throw a party. The party is just the cherry on top. Bedsides, the wedding isn't the most important thing, The marraige is the real issue.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:33 pm

As Trip was willing to honor Vucan tradition by wearing Vulcan Robes for their Vulcan Wedding so T'Pol wnats to honor Human tradition. she wants Trip to be proud of her and weaing a Human Wedding gown would do that. Multimple weddings? Why not one for each culture and Species.

Trip wears his Formal Dress Uniform because he has spent his enrire adult life in Starfleet. It is part of him and who he is. T'Pol likes him in it because that is all she has ever seen him in bar the short time they were on Vulcan and he wore Vulcan Robes to her wedding there.

He wears his Uniform and she wears a traditional Human Wedding gown to Honor his culture and species as he did on Vulcan.

SB

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:41 pm

I suppose that makes sense, but I'd worry if I thought my man would possibly not be proud of me just because of something I wore. Unless of course I dressed in any way that was considered indecent. So I guess I'm not comfortable with the idea that T'Pol would be concerned about that. Honoring their respective cultures is always a good thing, but that doesn't need to negate their individual preferences. I feel the same way about Trip becoming a vegitarian.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:07 pm

But I would prefer it if Trip did not eat meat in front of T'Pol so as not to offend her.

So, T'Pol feels it would be best to honor Trip's Culture and Species by wearing cutromary dress. It is not a hardship on her. she would look beautiful if a Potato Sack for that matter but even more so in a Wedding Gown. I can imgaine Trip seeing her being walked down the ailse in her gown and then taking her hand when she reaches the Altar. Seeing her that way would make him proud and loving her even more for it. Or so it says here in Small print.

Sb

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:11 pm

:lol: SB let's face it, as much as we like each other, we don't agree. You know what? It keeps things interesting. Different perspectives make us keep our minds open. IDIC.

Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:43 pm

When I wrote a wedding scene I had T'Pol dressed much like the dress she wore in Home, only in red. It fitted the story and T'Pol makes a point with the dress: I am fully Vulcan and I choice this man with all my heart.
Whatever message you will try to bring across, SB, I am sure you will find the dress for T'Pol that suits that message.

If you want her to show her respect for Trip and his culture and wants to surprise him, you gave have her dressed in white or soft green human wedding dress. In a lot of cultures several dresses are used. So for one ceremony she could be dressed in this and for the next moment something else.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:11 pm

How about a cream colored gown? Or silver? She'd look awesome in silver. And starkly simple. No pearls or lace. And little to no train. She'd find a long train supremely illogical. It would be modest as well, no decolletage.

Maybe like this one. Or this one.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”