The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Is T'Pol part Camel?

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:38 pm

Birds may not drink but the get their fluids from insects they eat, Nectar they drink.

when my Daughter was very ill and couldn't keep anything at all in her stomach for more than a few seconds.. I worred about her fluid intake. The Doctor said she would get a sufficient amount from the food she ate. He didn't listen at all to what I said: she couldn't keep anything on her stomachh. she was so dehydrated when I took her to hospital that they told me one more day and I would have lost her. Still I guess we do get fluids from the food we eat. this may be true of Vulcans too.

Not sure about vulcans but a Human can only go four or five days without water before dying. It is critical for life. T'Poll's insistence that she could go days without water, longer than a human indicates Vulcans coud go a couple weeks without drinking water. So her system must store water.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:52 pm

Cogito wrote:The only other explanation is that the producers chose to use beautiful well-endowed girls at every opportunity just to boost the ratings, which is obviously unthinkable.

:rotflmao: Of course very few of those girls did not pay for their endowments.

Okay if memory serves me right, Vulcanoids supposedly "evolved" from a alien type of bat. Now because I learned a ton about bats as a kid and through Wikipedia I remembered that bats drink water one drop at a time. Until they are full of water. Now if ancient Vulcanoids "evolved" by drinking small amounts at at time, their bodies would process water differently than ours. And of course since this is an alien bat the process could have been more extreme.

Wiki-Bats wrote:DrinkingGenerally, bats drink water. In 1960, Frederic A. Webster discovered how bats are able to acquire this water. To do this, Webster developed a high-speed camera and flashgun that could take one thousand photos per second. Webster's camera captured the bat's method of skimming the surface of a body of water, and lowering its jaw to get just one drop of water. It then skims again to get a second drop of water, and then again to get a third, and so on, until it has had its fill of water. Its precision and control is very fine, and it almost never misses.[36] Other bats such as the flying fox or fruit bat gently skim the water's surface, then land nearby to lick water from their chest fur.[44]
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:59 pm

Ah, but that's terran bats. Vulcan bats can easily be different, if it suits us.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:25 pm

What, pray telll, does Bats have to do with it? On EArth Bats have nothing to do with Humans or have anything in common except life. So whatyt a bat does isn't a reflection on what Human or a Vulcan would do.

SB

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 pm

If Vulcans can store water for later use, then the place would be somewhere in the body were it can be easy transport to the stomach. So maybe a second stomach were water gets stored?
Also the body need a sort of stimulant to let the body use that second stomach in times of need. Maybe when the body is too heated, the brain produces a sort of hormone that makes the water in the second stomach to be released.
Like a hormone in the human body. I know that when a human woman gives birth, her body makes a certain hormone that regulates the start of breast feeding. Every time the baby drinks, the female body regulates the content of the milk (the milk changes when the baby gets older according to the baby needs) and when the mothers stops feeding, the milk production stops as well. The point is the body set down in motion and regulate mechanisme to survive.
Maybe with Vulcan it works the same way - that a certain hormone sets something in motion that would help the Vulcan body to survive.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Silverbullet wrote:What, pray telll, does Bats have to do with it? On EArth Bats have nothing to do with Humans or have anything in common except life. So whatyt a bat does isn't a reflection on what Human or a Vulcan would do.

SB

It has been suggested, I don't know whether in canon or fanon, that Vulcans evolved from bat-like creatures (in the same way that humans evolved from ape-like mammals). I suspect this was an attempt to explain the keen hearing and pointed ears.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:04 pm

FYI. Camels don't store water in their humps. Camel humps are made of fat, just like breast tissue only with no glands. And small breasts are capable of making just as much milk as large breasts. The only advantage to breast size is in a starvation state. Women with larger breasts would nurse longer and live longer simply because it would take them longer to starve to death.
Image sig by chrisis1033

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:09 pm

I thought the water came out of the humps via a Moen faucet.

No?

:P
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:19 pm

Dis, Heard all of my life that Camals store wwater in their humbs. Fact is that when the hump is full of water it stands up when empty it flops over. Dromdaries have one hump and that is usually erect. I have head that bedouins when caught in the Desert will kill a Camal for the water in its hump. so the fat may act somewhat like a sponge soaking up the water and storing it.

Bats. There is acorrelation between apes and humans. we are not called the Naked Apes for nothing. But bats and humanoids is too much of a streach. Hearing and pointed ears could be a function of where they live. Hearing for detecting dangerous animals and pointed ears for protection of the ear canal.

SB

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 pm

Hey, don't take my word for it. Check out how camel humps really work. Or find out why camels' humps are not filled with water.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:13 pm

Dis is 1000% correct. Camels do not store water in their humps. And it is "canon" that Vulcans "evolved" from bats. So I thought the bat information was relevant. And you know there are earth bats in earth deserts too. So if TPTB used bats as a starting point for Vulcans bats are a reasonable place to start with Vulcan biology.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:16 pm

Distracted wrote:Or maybe she just has kidneys like a kangaroo rat.

That's actually a very good theory.

It could explain why she's not so bothered with wearing tight catsuits. In ordinary females it would be a hassle everytime you have to pee, but if her kidneys don't have to dispose of so much water, maybe she just has to pee once or twice a day (mornings and evenings). :lol:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:20 pm

But nobody uses the toilet on ST!!!!!!

Anyway, I didn't decide Vulcans "evolved" from bats, somebody who got paid to think it up did. Vulcans have hollow teeth like some bats do, possibly some echo location abilities, (T'Pol can sense wild shelats miles away) and other "bat like" things. Is it stupid scientifically? Probably. But Vulcans are aliens it's suposed to be FUN!

Dis that's the first rat I've ever seen in my life that I think is really cute.

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:24 am

It's the chubby cheeks. Gets ya every time.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:24 am

I was suckered by those eyes! :loveeyes:

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”