The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Star Trek Valentine issue

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:09 pm

Double post, sorry. If the magazine wanted to really reach they could have used the two Archer dream sequences, ANIS and Twilight (Twilight was a dream sequence created by nanites in Archers brain it didn't really happen) but the magazine could have claimed a romance between Archer and T'Pol based on those two episodes not more of a reach than the ones they chose.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:13 pm

Ok, this is just weird... :vulcan: Who publishes and who writes for that rag anyway?

No matter what you feel about them, a Trek romance theme not featuring Trip/T'Pol, Tom/B'Elanna, Odo/Kira, Worf/Jadzia, Bashir/Ezri, Chakotay/7of9, Riker/Troi et al. is just plain stupid, not to mention extremely misleading...
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:20 pm

Okay I am extremely confused on the 7/C pairing. I watched it and it still makes no sense to me. :lol: Let me put it this way, I'm glad I no longer subscribe.

But I concur with SB the criteria of Trek Romances for this issue is seriously weird. But I'm still all for P/C and J/C but only P/C can technically count. They did get married (and divorced) in a timeline. Bummer, I liked them mostly because PS and GMc liked each other and played it up when they could. PS saved GMc's job.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Is it possible the list is purposely controversial so that it will generate discussion of the magazine? Seriously, based on that list, shippers for every single ST series are going to be very annoyed and go online, discussing it. I'm not saying that ticking off your fan base is necessarily a smart strategy, but I think it's possible.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:28 pm

Brandyjane, it also could be a false leader. Magazines will use that to get people to buy and read the magazine and when they get inside they find that what they thought was going to be presented, isn't. Certain magaziine types speciliaze in this. So, yes it could be a bait and switch tactic. Usually though there is at the end of the leader, "and other". Just like in stores who have a sale and the ad says while supplies last. Usualy menas that only a few of the item is on hand but more costly versions are available in volume.

I guess we will have to wait until Feb 8, when the issue comes out on the stands to see if we have been mislead or noot.

SB

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:43 pm

Brandyjane wrote:Is it possible the list is purposely controversial so that it will generate discussion of the magazine? Seriously, based on that list, shippers for every single ST series are going to be very annoyed and go online, discussing it. I'm not saying that ticking off your fan base is necessarily a smart strategy, but I think it's possible.

TOTALLY! Would any of us be talking about that mag if they hadn't done this? I wonder how may mails/emails they will get over this. Probably just what their flagging reader base needs.

Silverbullet wrote:Brandyjane, it also could be a false leader. Magazines will use that to get people to buy and read the magazine and when they get inside they find that what they thought was going to be presented, isn't. Certain magaziine types speciliaze in this.

TOTALLY! Like "Us" magazine which likes to put three "hot celebs" on the front (ie Britney, a random Kardashian, and Jessica Simpson) and then put a headline across them whech goes, "WHICH OF THESE HOT CELEBS IS PREGNANT?!" and then you open the magazine and look inside, and it's NONE of them. So it's NOT a headline. It's just advertising. They do that all the time. :lol: (I only open these mags in the dental office where I work, btw).
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:51 pm

The Supermarket Tabloids are really great at that. The front page has all sorts of wierd things on it and when one gets inside it is completely different. Must work though as those rags continue to exist.

SB

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:34 pm

When it comes to the writers from the StarTrek books writing the articles for the magazine some of them have said atanother board they don't like Enterpise or T'Pol they mentioned it more than once.They're mostly fans of Tos TNG, Ds9 or Voyager. You almost never see an article about Enterrpise in their magazine.It would be nice to see Trip&T'Pol's relationship mentioned or Odo or Kira or Keiko or Miles O'brien .

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:42 pm

Reanok, that tracks with what I have been thinking: Enterprise is a non entity as far as the Magazine goes. Actually further than that. Some of the actors are mentioned. I never see anything about Conner or Jolene. Bakkula, yes. Conner seems to have trouble geting any meaty roles and Jolene does but she drops out of them. Keating and Park don't seem to have much better luck. Perhaps Enterpise is bad luck Series

SB

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Reanok, that tracks with what I have been thinking: Enterprise is a non entity as far as the Magazine goes. Actually further than that. Some of the actors are mentioned. I never see anything about Conner or Jolene. Bakkula, yes. Conner seems to have trouble geting any meaty roles and Jolene does but she drops out of them. Keating and Park don't seem to have much better luck. Perhaps Enterpise is bad luck Series

SB

Linda Park had a good guest starring role on The Mentalist this week. She portrayed an FBI analyst and had a good amount of screen time and interaction with two of the main characters. Bakula seems to always be acting in something and has a good series at present. I'm beginning to think it has a lot to do with their management and who they know because there are several actors who seem to bounce from series to series and role to role with little downtime in between.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:30 pm

Okay has anyone actually looked to see how many ENT issues of the mag there are? No offense but if you go to the back issues section ENT is well represented. I know that as TnT fans we can get a little miffed that the pairing itself isn't front and center, but the actual series got a good shake. It's just not as popular as say DS9 or TOS. And there are a few valid reasons for it. ENT issues were coming to me and my sis before the series even started. I have 3 tucked away in my parents attick somewhere. And that was god... 2001 I think. Right after VOY ended.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:31 pm

:lol: That sounds distinctly reasonable. Stop it.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:20 pm

I searched through the Vulcan issue of Star trek magazine with T'Pol's biography it does mention the Trip&T'pol relationship being a very important part of the Enterrpise books storyline .that the storyline continues beyond the tv series fourth season.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Reanok, would have loved to seen that T'Pol bio. Unfortunately, for me it is a 92 mile trip to buy an issue: 46 miles to Phoenix and 46 miles back to Casa Grande. A bit too far for just a magazine. Wife does all of the driving so it is up toher. Me? I would drive that far for a Vulcan issue with a T'Pol bio but I am a bit of a romantic in love with T'Pol

WG it is who you know in Hollywood. also what is popular at the time. It seems that Brits and Aussies are desired for roles now. so Americans must have an in somewhere to even get an audition.

SB

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:52 pm

enterprikayak wrote::lol: That sounds distinctly reasonable. Stop it.

I tried to sound reasonable as I have gotten into a bit of trouble before. It's why I mentioned DS9 as more "popular" then ENT. I won't touch DS9 with a ten mile pole, it's just not my thing. Obviously I don't feel that way about ENT. I'm just saying that while TnT doesn't really get enough play, (and it doesn't, but then again neither does P/T) ENT has gotten it's fair share of publicity and play within the entire ST fandom.

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”