The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Star Trek Valentine issue

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:42 am

Star Trek Magazine's Valentine issue will feature great Star Trek romances. Guess who is not included. Why Trip and T'Pol of course. I am getting the idea that the Enterprise Series is not considered Star Trek. Wonder if a letter writing campaign might wake themup to the romance of Trip and T'Pol
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Distracted
Site Donor

Re: Star Trek Valentine issue

Postby Distracted » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:13 am

To be perfectly fair to them, SB, I don't think the writers ever crossed over into true romance with TnT. There was friendship and there was sex. Romance? Not so much.

We read alot into the relationship on this site, but what actually appeared on screen was more like friends with benefits.

Sacrilege? Maybe. But if your definition of romance includes avowals of love and flowers, it just wasn't there. Not like Tom and B'Elana, for example. Or Neelix and Kes. Or even Kirk and the bimbo of the week.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:32 am

Tom/B'Elanna :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: Um ENT ended so early that the TnT relationship isn't "iconic" like Riker/Troi. It's a half sone relationship, so I don't blame them for not adding it. Especially given how it "officially" ended.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:51 am

I can see both sides of this. Like Distracted says, it really is not technically "a romance". Like WarpGirl says, the series was cut short so there wasn't enough time to spin out the rest of the story. I think it might have become a full romance if Enterprise had continued. We were cheated out of that, darn.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:01 am

Distracted wrote:We read a lot into the relationship on this site, but what actually appeared on screen was more like friends with benefits.

Sacrilege? Maybe. But if your definition of romance includes avowals of love and flowers, it just wasn't there. Not like Tom and B'Elana, for example. Or Neelix and Kes. Or even Kirk and the bimbo of the week.

Huh? Kirk and the bimbo of the week was romance, but not Trip and T'Pol? Can't quite get my head around that one...

Anyway, a letter-writing campaign would be a bad idea. Apart from being doomed to failure (it would require an admission on the part of the The Powers That Be that they were wrong, and that the abomination was just that, an abomination), I'm not sure I could compose a letter that did not contain certain words describing in precise detail my opinion of the writers' and producers' competence, or lack thereof.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:31 am

From time to time I like to be here, and this thread drew my attention.
I do not believe that people are so unintelligent that they need that things are written in capital letters and in every detail for them to be acknowledged and understood.
That between Trip and T'Pol there is a love story is clear and evident, and only the well-known and appreciated capability from Distracted to be seraphical can try to justify the perspicuous and persistent emotional and intellectual myopia of the The Powers That Continue To Be Wrong.
Anyway, a letter may be of help, I think, it may have some meaning. If for no other reason, at least in order to make clear that world is not made with stolid, acquiescent and blind people.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

tambo2063
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby tambo2063 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:54 am

I think a letter writing campaign could work.. The authors of TGTMD thanks the legions of Trip & T'Pol fans that would not let him die. HoT had a post card campaign to bring back Trip & Enterprise. It could work, CT &JB had alot of chemistry together they could have been the best Star Trek couple ever.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:17 pm

That, I agree with. The relationship on screen was just the tip of the iceberg. Why else would we all still be here if that were not the case?

And Asso, what exactly do you mean by "seraphical"? I had to look that one up, and the best I could come up with was "related to seraphim", which are the three winged angels on the Ark of the Covenant. No wings here. Nor am I particuliarly angelic. :?
Image sig by chrisis1033

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:17 pm

Okay, here are the Greatest romances: Kirk and Keeler, Spock and Uhura, Picard and Crusher and Janeway and Chakoty.

Left out are Riker and Troi, Paris and torres,and of courese Trip and T'Pol

I cannot remember any romance between Janeway and Chakoty. If I recall Picard and Crusher was referred to but never shown, i.e. Picard admitted he had loved Crusher secretly for years and in one film (I believe) Cusher and Picard had been married and was now divoreced. but that was it.

In the sries TOS no Spck and Uhura but Nurse Chappel admitted to Loving Spock.

Anyway, that is the line up for the Valentine issue.

Comments?

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Okay, here are the Greatest romances: Kirk and Keeler, Spock and Uhura, Picard and Crusher and Janeway and Chakoty.

Left out are Riker and Troi, Paris and torres,and of course Trip and T'Pol

Wow. Paris and Torres left out.

Spock and Uhura? It's been a long time, but I can't recall a romance between Spock and anyone. And that includes his betrothed...
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:34 pm

They picked those couples... (picks jaw from the floor).

If you talk about tragic romance like Romeo and Juliette (not many flowers there) and think about Home (the ultimate Star Trek romance episode)...

friendship as a prequel for a relationship (Breaking the ICE)

or humour and bonds (Bound)

the answer is clear: TnT are a great romance.

Even without my pink shippy glasses.

May we should all vote and comment: "You left the best one out".
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm confused. The greatest romances were those that barely were mentioned or were shipped in fanfic but not ever really shown on the shows and they left out the couples that had actually on-screen romantic interaction? I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that all TV writers/producers are totally disconnected from their characters and their fanbase when matters of the heart are concerned.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:50 pm

The Spock and Uhura romance was from the latest movie which seems to be AU anyway, from my point of view. A Janeway and Chakotay romance never got off the ground as far as I can see. There was one episode where they were stranded together and Chakotay started to make moves in that direction, but they were rescue before anything serious happened.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Okay, here are the Greatest romances: Kirk and Keeler, Spock and Uhura, Picard and Crusher and Janeway and Chakoty.

Left out are Riker and Troi, Paris and torres,and of courese Trip and T'Pol

I cannot remember any romance between Janeway and Chakoty. If I recall Picard and Crusher was referred to but never shown, i.e. Picard admitted he had loved Crusher secretly for years and in one film (I believe) Cusher and Picard had been married and was now divoreced. but that was it.

In the sries TOS no Spck and Uhura but Nurse Chappel admitted to Loving Spock.

Anyway, that is the line up for the Valentine issue.

Comments?

SB

Kirk and Keeler, OK. Spock and Uhura, uh . . . I guess, from the movie. Picard and Crusher? *gag* I think there was one episode devoted to their relationship and I wasn't buying it. Janeway and Chakotay? Well there was one episode devoted to that (they were stuck camping together on their shuttle and finally reconciled themselves to the fact that they were stuck forever. Janeway finally broke down and allowed herself to fall for Chakotay . . . and they were rescued) There was also some ongoing chemistry. But if Janeway and Chakotay count as a romance then certainly Trip and T'Pol count much more based on Harbinger, E2, Home, that one where Trip comes back from Columbia, and Terra Prime. ARGHH!!! There still too many Star Trek fans who haven't watched Enterprise. But in my experience, everyone who gives it a try is converted. :)
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:32 pm

What the heck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay SB I take it back. If those were the couples (although P/C and J/C don't bother me at all) then screw them! Because even TnT had more then that. What's next? Will's fling with Ro Laren? Although I did think her and Tom Riker would have totally worked... I mean come on, If you're going to list a bunch of obscure "not really complelling romances" then how about: Vash/anyone, Riker/Holochick, Troi/Worf, :upchuck: Troi/various studs of the week, Crusher/Trill guy, Crusher/Ghost guy...

If they really wanted to pull out a meaningful obscure romance then Wesley/Lefler fits the bill. It was really sweet!

But I guess TPTB are just completely out-of-touch with the rest of us. :roll: I swear I think maybe me respect for LucasArts might be going up just a tad. Paramount is certainly nuts.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”