So, Why Are You A TnT 'shipper?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: So, Why Are You A TnT 'shipper?

Postby justTripn » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:08 pm

First of all. You are quoting justTrip'n (my avatar is by HopefulRomantic) so that's how yuo probably got confused.

I just looked for the thread with Jedikatie's script and don't see it. Was it lost in the Great Crash?

As for the winking--yes it was a bit "off" but I watched that episode like 10 times (for my finalie "fix" which wasn't a fix, only an improvement). I thought it was an example of Trip not facing up to his eminent death, like in Shuttlepod One, when he continued to annoy Malcolm with his optimism after all hope was lost. That might also explain Trip's strange actions in blowing himself up in the first place: he thought he might survive it. Either that or he was just being brave.

I seriously object to the implication in the episode, and the flat out-statement in "The Good that Men Do" that the ship's systems automatically recorded and saved the every movement and conversation of the crew. Ewwwhhh!!! In my fanfic, the fact that private conversations were presented as historical fact was proof that the whole holodrama thing was someone's reconstruction of events and about as accurate as historical stories about our heros ever are.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:11 pm

justTripn wrote:I seriously object to the implication in the episode, and the flat out-statement in "The Good that Men Do" that the ship's systems automatically recorded and saved the every movement and conversation of the crew. Ewwwhhh!!! In my fanfic, the fact that private conversations were presented as historical fact was proof that the whole holodrama thing was someone's reconstruction of events and about as accurate as historical stories about our heros ever are.

Right!
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:21 pm

Related to Terra Prime scene and Connor's reaction to the baby's death. Even before this last conference (Cherry Hill) where he told the story of his crying after the scene was over, I was at an earlier conference (Cleveland) where someone asked, "was there a version of the story where the baby lives?"

Conner said (with this weary sadness): "No that baby was always meant to die." Then he stopped short and said, "That sounds terrible, doesn't it? But there you have it." I noted that (and reported it over at HoT) because I got the impression Connor was as emotionally connected to that particular story (Terra Prime) as we were.

Lys
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Lys » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:56 pm

justTripn wrote:I just looked for the thread with Jedikatie's script and don't see it. Was it lost in the Great Crash?

I think I found it. Is that the one you were looking for?
http://triaxiansilk.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=162

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:35 pm

I think you found it.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:09 pm

Lys wrote:
justTripn wrote:I just looked for the thread with Jedikatie's script and don't see it. Was it lost in the Great Crash?

Sorry for the quoting issues. I just hit 'quote' and it puts whoever it is there automatically, but it never seems to get it right. (Until now.)

Thank you for finding that thread! That was very cool to read.

I think I still prefer the filmed version to this. At least in the scene they filmed T'Pol was the one who reached out to Trip, instead of leaving us and him dangling. (I would have given SO MUCH just to see T'Pol really hug him at that moment!) At the same time, I really like the idea of Trip just coming out and asking.

And man, that earlier Hoshi and Trip scene in The Observer Effect would have been SO MUCH BETTER than the poker game anecdote.

I bet committees can really mess up good scripts. Jeri Taylor once told me that when they broke out a story on TNG and Voyager the procedure was to sit down and go over every scene as a group and decide on every character's motivation going in and going out, carefully tracking each arc. I remember thinking that if this worked anything like the meetings I had in MY job it was likely to result in all sorts of watering down, making things safer and tamer.

Don't know if B & B were still working that way on Enterprise, but clearly some sort of let's-smooth-this-out effect was at work.

That's just the deal with television, though. These people were not evil monsters trying to break fans' hearts. They worked a brutal schedule doing the best they could under all sorts of restrictions and the depressing specter of being cancelled. (And okay, yes, earning more money than the rest of us can imagine.) Did they put out awful, disappointing stuff sometimes? Yes, but there was some pretty damned addictive stuff mixed in there too, or we wouldn't be here. And not only that but they were probably also the nicest, most open production staff in the biz.

And now I will shut up. :)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:35 pm

Oh yeah, and I also totally agree about objecting to the idea that everything was recorded. That's ridiculous. I could see the bridge being recorded, and maybe the brig.

I probably wasn't that original with my "Some Gaps in the Historical Record" a few months back, but it pretty much made the same point that the holodeck program was the work of someone who was filling in the blanks without much basis in fact.
Image.Image

Lys
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Lys » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:31 pm

Alelou wrote:I think I still prefer the filmed version to this. At least in the scene they filmed T'Pol was the one who reached out to Trip, instead of leaving us and him dangling. (I would have given SO MUCH just to see T'Pol really hug him at that moment!) At the same time, I really like the idea of Trip just coming out and asking.

I'm with you, I like better the filmed version. What I really find significant is that in the final script, it's T'Pol who says "She was important" instead of Trip. It's really like she's saying "She was important for us."
I also like better the final version because T'Pol already has the IDIC medallion with her when Trip comes into her quarters. When I read the first script I got the impression she had all but forgotten about it in sickbay like something irrelevant. Quite contradictory with the beautiful ending of the scene when they were both clutching the IDIC in their entwined hands.
And you're right, T'Pol reached out to Trip in the filmed scene. She didn't say much but her actions spoke volume.
As for Trip coming out and asking, I'm all for that, but not in this context. I find it out of character when you know how both he and T'Pol deal with personal loss. Besides they were not entirely comfortable with their bond as seen in some scenes in Demons. I like to think they'd want to solidify it first.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:36 pm

Lys wrote:
Alelou wrote:I think I still prefer the filmed version to this. At least in the scene they filmed T'Pol was the one who reached out to Trip, instead of leaving us and him dangling. (I would have given SO MUCH just to see T'Pol really hug him at that moment!) At the same time, I really like the idea of Trip just coming out and asking.

I'm with you, I like better the filmed version. What I really find significant is that in the final script, it's T'Pol who says "She was important" instead of Trip. It's really like she's saying "She was important for us."
I also like better the final version because T'Pol already has the IDIC medallion with her when Trip comes into her quarters. When I read the first script I got the impression she had all but forgotten about it in sickbay like something irrelevant. Quite contradictory with the beautiful ending of the scene when they were both clutching the IDIC in their entwined hands.
And you're right, T'Pol reached out to Trip in the filmed scene. She didn't say much but her actions spoke volume.
As for Trip coming out and asking, I'm all for that, but not in this context. I find it out of character when you know how both he and T'Pol deal with personal loss. Besides they were not entirely comfortable with their bond as seen in some scenes in Demons. I like to think they'd want to solidify it first.

Not added words!

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:33 pm

Alelou. Click on "you have messages." Top left hand corner under T'Pol's picture.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:08 pm

Alelou wrote:
Lys wrote:

Sorry for the quoting issues. I just hit 'quote' and it puts whoever it is there automatically, but it never seems to get it right. (Until now.)

Thank you for finding that thread! That was very cool to read.

I think I still prefer the filmed version to this. At least in the scene they filmed T'Pol was the one who reached out to Trip, instead of leaving us and him dangling. (I would have given SO MUCH just to see T'Pol really hug him at that moment!) At the same time, I really like the idea of Trip just coming out and asking.

And man, that earlier Hoshi and Trip scene in The Observer Effect would have been SO MUCH BETTER than the poker game anecdote.

I bet committees can really mess up good scripts. Jeri Taylor once told me that when they broke out a story on TNG and Voyager the procedure was to sit down and go over every scene as a group and decide on every character's motivation going in and going out, carefully tracking each arc. I remember thinking that if this worked anything like the meetings I had in MY job it was likely to result in all sorts of watering down, making things safer and tamer.

Don't know if B & B were still working that way on Enterprise, but clearly some sort of let's-smooth-this-out effect was at work.

That's just the deal with television, though. These people were not evil monsters trying to break fans' hearts. They worked a brutal schedule doing the best they could under all sorts of restrictions and the depressing specter of being cancelled. (And okay, yes, earning more money than the rest of us can imagine.) Did they put out awful, disappointing stuff sometimes? Yes, but there was some pretty damned addictive stuff mixed in there too, or we wouldn't be here. And not only that but they were probably also the nicest, most open production staff in the biz.

And now I will shut up. :)

I don't think that's quite how the writing worked on Enterprise, at least not all the time, I think B&B had their own little "this is MY episode! MINE, MINE, MINE!" fits because when we were having the Trek United telephone/letter campaign to protest *the_abomination*, I called the office and the lady I spoke to said that when Brannon or Rick are writing a script, the other writers (Coto, specifically) "respect that". AKA, Coto had no input on their script, and probably on any of their scripts.

The 'committee' deal might have been done only on other shows, it might have only been done when someone other than Rick or Brannon wrote the scripts, or this may've been an isolated incident where Brannon wanted it to be "his baby"... His Rosemary's Baby :censored:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:52 pm

Elessar wrote:I don't think that's quite how the writing worked on Enterprise, at least not all the time, I think B&B had their own little "this is MY episode! MINE, MINE, MINE!" fits because when we were having the Trek United telephone/letter campaign to protest *the_abomination*, I called the office and the lady I spoke to said that when Brannon or Rick are writing a script, the other writers (Coto, specifically) "respect that". AKA, Coto had no input on their script, and probably on any of their scripts.

The 'committee' deal might have been done only on other shows, it might have only been done when someone other than Rick or Brannon wrote the scripts, or this may've been an isolated incident where Brannon wanted it to be "his baby"... His Rosemary's Baby :censored:

You may be quite right. TNG and Voyager writing staffs were really run by Jeri Taylor, and she might have had a very different style than B&B. She may have also been trying to discourage me from getting more involved in the story idea I'd just sold them.

So I won't insert any broad, unsupported, unfair generalizations about male vs. female management styles here since I would just be talking out of my butt. (Especially since I've also endured a couple of female management styles that still give me nightmares.)
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:46 pm

Alelou wrote:
So I won't insert any broad, unsupported, unfair generalizations about male vs. female management styles here since I would just be talking out of my butt. (Especially since I've also endured a couple of female management styles that still give me nightmares.)

I'm sad for your nightmares, but women... ah... women are great, believe me!
I'm the only male among a clump of females.
Difficult... it's true!
But... MY GOD!... Splendid! it's sure! :D :D :D

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:11 pm

Asso wrote:
Alelou wrote:

I'm sad for your nightmares, but women... ah... women are great, believe me!
I'm the only male among a clump of females.
Difficult... it's true!
But... MY GOD!... Splendid! it's sure! :D :D :D

Ah, of course it's splendid, you probably make them all feel like a million euros!
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:24 pm

And don't they be worth that?
And even more? :lol:

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”