The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Trip on Vulcan

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:19 pm

Trip on vulcan. first the thin atmosphere. That would be a problem for him as his body is used to a richer atmosphere and relies on it. He would always be gasping for more air.

Heat. since Vulcan is a desert Planet it might be a hot Desert or a cold Desert. (that was never addressed in the series I belive. Most have assumed it is Hot) If it is Hot then the temperture would probably be higher than on Earth. What makes me believe that it is a Cold Desert? T'Pol has a higher body temperature which would indicate the need for more warmth from her body. Also she wears thermal undergarmets under her Catsuits to stay warm oon the Enterprise. You would think that a cold environment would suit her. Hot?? Cold? Either might not suit Trip

Gravity. Vulcan has one and a half the gravity of Earth. so if Trip weighs 200 pounds on Earth what would he weigh on Vulcan? 300 Pounds? If so that would be very hard on his Heart. He would have trouble getting around carrying that additional weight. Never mind making Love in that Gravity.

Vulcan might not be the place for Trip. Earth would suit T'Pol though.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Trip on Vulcan

Postby Linda » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:26 am

Both canon episodes and movies and the published novels have had humans walking around on Vulcan and even living most of their lives on Vulcan, with only a periodic triox shot or whatever. So if those sources can ignore what would be real life problems, so can we. Amanda, Sarek's wife, presumably spent most of her life on Vulcan, so why can't Trip? I write with just enough local Vulcan environmental problems for Trip to make the story interesting. I assume since the air is thinner, Trip takes those triox shots. He gets tired more easily than native Vulcans because of the gravity. Did you get the figure one and a half times the pressure of earth's gravity from any canon source? I don't remember hearing any exact figure on that, just that the gravity on Vulcan is heavier than on earth. I suppose the conditions described for the Vulcan environment might really be prohibitive to humans living there if this was real life. But this is science fiction with the accent on fiction rather than on science, LOL. And I do believe T'Pol would have trouble living on earth - she might get oxygen overload from the thicker atmosphere. In one story, and I can't remember if it was a novel or fanfiction, Sarek was said to get dizzy when he first comes back to earth and breaths our air.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Linda, will have to check my Star Trek Encyclopedia. Belive it stated that Vulcan Gravity was one and a half times that of Earth.

As far as a richer atmosphere goes. Think that T'Pol would adjust to that far easier than Trip to a thinner atmosphere. People who live in the high Andes have larger Lung capacity but have no problem adjusting to the richer atmosphere at sea level whereas people who are not used to living high up have a harder time adjusting and often need oxygen tanks. I think, don't quote me as I am often wrong.

SB

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:52 pm

There may be other problems for T'Pol. I recently read, but forgot which astronaut, that the poor guy had lost 14% of his bone density while in space. T'Pol might have the same problem on earth.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 pm

Why am I suddenly imagining T'Pol doing commercials for once-a-month Boniva? She wouldn't be as perky at it as Sally Field is.

Technically, that issue should be affecting her on Enterprise, too. Still, less gravity is probably not nearly as damaging as NO gravity.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:25 pm

That is very true. T'Pol on ENT or earth would be losing bone density and muscle mass as well, thankfully ST medical tech being what it is I'm sure there are ways to counteract the effects. So that said I think Trip living on Vulcan can be pulled off in a realistic manner. Because what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Well... In this case at least. Ok I'm gonna go now.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:08 pm

On Earth and Emterprise under Earth norm Gravity that would be two thirds the gravity pull of her native planet. Doubt if bone or muscle loss would be that great. also she could exercise daily for an hour to help. I understand that is what Astronauts do to maintain health while in space. They do suffere some weight loss but generally recover if fairly quickly.

Suppose T'Pol might have to visit Vulcan on occasion though.

Trip, on the other hand, would have a larger weight pull on him due to vulcans higher Gravity. He would suffer under the thinner air. will have to check my ST encrycopledia to see if Vulcan his a Hot desert Planet. I keep thinking of the Gobi Desert, it is a cold desert.

Could be Vulcans Star would be bright enough to affect beings eyes and skin but far enough away so the environment is cold.

Could never square T'Pol's higher body heat with having to wear thermal underwear. Then too, she wasn't shivering when she dropped the Robe in Harbinger.

SB

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:26 pm

Vulcan is hot. But SB I think you're not taking into consideration that astronauts DO have extreme stressors on their health. Some have severe bone loss, and other issues of course most recover but it takes years. Now T'Pol isn't human so we don't know exactly how severe the damage would be comparatively speaking. However, it's reasonable to assume that since Vulcans already have greater bone and muscle density than humans the effects wouldn't be as severe as it is for humans in Zero-G. But considering that ENT is at earth standard gravity and atmosphere, the humans there aren't going to have problems. T'Pol is to a degree. So it's reasonable to believe that medical tech can compansate. And if it can for T'Pol, on earth or an earth ship, why not for Trip on Vulcan or a Vulcan ship? If you just don't like them living or going to Vulcan, they don't have too. But to say it's because Trip will have severe health problems just isn't realistic for what we see in Star Trek.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:24 pm

There one big mistake in canon, when it is said the Vulcan has a thinner atmosphere. Atmosphere density (supposing approximately the same O2, N2 composition) is proportional to the acceleration of gravity. With higher g, as stated in canon, Vulcan should have a more dense atmosphere...

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:48 pm

Thinner in Human terms can mean lower in oxygen, rather than literally less dense.
Image.Image

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:04 pm

WG, Enderhil, alelou, you are all right. I am just talking out of by Butt winging it as the saying goes.

It is fiction so Trip can live on Vulcan. The thiness can be oxxygen content rather than the actual thickness of the atmosphere.

T'Pol can live on Enterpise and Earth with little or no problems.

But in reality...... I have a Foot that won't heal, A new Program that the makersa say is easy to install but the documentation doesn't read that way and if I foul itup I am cooked. Want to buy the program NaturalReader but I want to pay by check and there isno instructions on how to do that: Oder, receive item and then pay by check. Or pay by check and then reeive item. they won't take credit card. Paypal and 2check though. also damned heat won't come on and it is about 40 degrees right now and I am freezing by Can off. I guess this belongs in the whine thread.

SB

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:19 pm

Hang in there SB I have had many simular days. My grammy always tells me "This too shall pass" it always helps. In the mean time however, :hug: :kiss: .

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:25 pm

WG, thanks a big bunch. Feel better already.

SB

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:28 pm

:D :thumbsup:

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:30 pm

Paypal is not hard to use, SB. But do you really need NaturalReader if you got that Dragon program?
Image.Image

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”