The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Trip on Vulcan

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:17 am

Dragon Program is Speech to text. Natural Reader is Text to Speech. NOt sure that the dragon program does that. I believe it just writes what I say to the computer. so, actually need both. My eyes are not the best and any program that saves looking at the screen I want. I have to insall the Dragoon program to see just exactly what it does before I try to oder the Natural Reader. Perhaps this Windows Text to Speech program that is already installed may be enough athough it doesn't read much.

BTW, read while brfowsing the Natural Reader site that the free download does not have many of hte features that the sales program has. It is a bit bare bones.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Navigator
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Navigator » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:14 am

Alelou wrote:Why am I suddenly imagining T'Pol doing commercials for once-a-month Boniva? She wouldn't be as perky at it as Sally Field is.

Technically, that issue should be affecting her on Enterprise, too. Still, less gravity is probably not nearly as damaging as NO gravity.

Please please please write this one. It could be hilarious. Could you imagine Vulcan TV ads anyway?

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:22 am

Navigator wrote:
Alelou wrote:Why am I suddenly imagining T'Pol doing commercials for once-a-month Boniva? She wouldn't be as perky at it as Sally Field is.

Technically, that issue should be affecting her on Enterprise, too. Still, less gravity is probably not nearly as damaging as NO gravity.

Please please please write this one. It could be hilarious. Could you imagine Vulcan TV ads anyway?

I can't imagine Vulcan TV. period. No emotions etc what would be the point? They're a private people so no reality Tv. Leaves them arts type shows and news?
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:50 am

You mean no romance in them? Surely a Soaper or two. Commercials? There must be some sort of commerece on Vulcan, products have to be sold. so advertising may part of the vulcan way of life. they might have TV with commercials.

Cannot you see T'Pol with a grim face holding up some Tooth paste warning that if the product isn't used teeth will rot and fall out. Boggles the immagination.

SB

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:08 am

pdsldl wrote:
Navigator wrote:

I can't imagine Vulcan TV. period. No emotions etc what would be the point? They're a private people so no reality Tv. Leaves them arts type shows and news?

Sorry for the ignorance but, what (who) is once-a-month Boniva?

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:37 am

It's a drug that's supposed to prevent or reverse osteoporosis (weakening of the bones). So we get a lot of shots of perky, active Sally Field crowing about how she only has to remember to take it once a month.

Meanwhile there's a lot of concern that these osteoporosis drugs at least if taken too long can actually cause bone fractures and other problems. My mom's oral surgeon blames her necrosis of the jaw on one of the drugs, and she hadn't even taken it for long.

I was envisioning an Earthbound T'Pol doing this commercial for the Human market. But I think the idea is probably funnier than any actual version of it would be.

US drug makers make a fortune out of commercials that encourage people to "talk to their doctor" about whatever it is they're trying to sell. My favorite current one suggests that if you ever suffer from atrial fibrillation you could drop dead of a stroke any minute. Since it's a common symptom and it freaks people out (but usually not their doctors) I can just imagine the potential market for whatever drug they're selling.

God only knows what the drug itself might do to you.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:46 pm

Alelou wrote:It's a drug that's supposed to prevent or reverse osteoporosis (weakening of the bones). So we get a lot of shots of perky, active Sally Field crowing about how she only has to remember to take it once a month.

Meanwhile there's a lot of concern that these osteoporosis drugs at least if taken too long can actually cause bone fractures and other problems. My mom's oral surgeon blames her necrosis of the jaw on one of the drugs, and she hadn't even taken it for long.

I was envisioning an Earthbound T'Pol doing this commercial for the Human market. But I think the idea is probably funnier than any actual version of it would be.

US drug makers make a fortune out of commercials that encourage people to "talk to their doctor" about whatever it is they're trying to sell. My favorite current one suggests that if you ever suffer from atrial fibrillation you could drop dead of a stroke any minute. Since it's a common symptom and it freaks people out (but usually not their doctors) I can just imagine the potential market for whatever drug they're selling.

God only knows what the drug itself might do to you.

Makes me wonder if people ever really listen to the commercials. The possible side effects for most of these drugs appear to be potentially worse then whatever they are supposedly treating. And I'd like to think Vulcans with all their practicality and logic being smarter and less susceptible and open too such self serving advertisements than we humans appear to be.

And Trip didn't do well in desert environments so I'd have to think permanent residence on Vulcan would present him more than a few obstacles. If you've ever known anyone who easily suffers from heat exhaustion or heat stroke you'd understand. My aunt cannot be in the desert (I used to live in Arizona) and she only visited once in the summer and spent most of her time in the emergency room with doctors trying to find a way to her system to regulate her temp but were unable to. Her body refused to regulate temperature properly and nothing worked to keep her from suffering exhaustion and eventually heat stroke. Their bond may have helped but that depends on how strong it was and how much T'Pol could influence the functioning of Trip's brain or if Trip was able to use some of the Vulcans mind over matter training.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:12 pm

Alelou, I am taking a drug right now (once a week) for oesterporosis (sp) Small pill. I take it before I ingest any food or drink and cannot lay down for a half hour so I sit or stand that time. Haven't been on it too long but may be the cause of my Foot problems.

also, Have a problem going to the toilet fequently sometimes as many as 15-20 times a day. so, doctor has recommended Flomax. I have seen commercial on TV for it. the side effects are worse than the problem. I have not started using it yet and may not. anything that is advertised to death on TV doesn't appeal to me. It is too much like Snake Oil salestalk.

SB

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:40 pm

It's scary stuff, isn't it? And yet the right drug can also make all the difference in one's quality of life. (I would never want to have to go through a migraine again without Treximet.)

Is someone checking out whether your foot pain might be related to that drug? Did one start soon after you started the other? Have you been taking the osteoporosis drug for more than a year? Pain is one of the early signals of a possible problem with those drugs.

I tend to agree about Trip living on Vulcan, but then I also hate deserts. Asking a Vulcan to live in San Francisco seems kind of cruel, too, though -- it's so damp and chilly most of the year (and really, really beautiful). Seems like they'd be best off on some other colony or planet or maybe in a fairly temperate desert on Earth.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Alelou, I am taking so damned many pills I rattle when I walk. I have not been taking the Oesterprosis (sp) drug for all that long.

The Sonran Desert where I live would fill the bill. It is hot in the summer and temperate in the winter and DRY all year round. Near enough to San Francisco that Trip could to go work every day by flyer.

SB

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”