The ultimate offense...

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

The ultimate offense...

Postby Kotik » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:58 pm

People, who know me, know that I'm a die-hard TnT'er, but nontheless, I'm thinking about writing an AU story (pre-Expanse) with Trip paired to someone else. This raises several questions:

a) will I be killed to death for it?

b) will someone come round and sever my limbs with a kitchen knife?

c) will someone kill me until I'm dead?

d) In which section do I post it?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: The ultimate offense...

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:28 am

Hmmm. Would you be killed? Not by me, but I can't say I'd be psyched to read it at first... But knowing you you'd make it entertaining...

As to where you'd put it, only place I could think of is Main Engerneering...

Ask the Boss Elessar first.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Distracted » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:30 am

I don't want to rain on your parade, Kotik, but it sounds like the best place for such a story would be fanfiction.net. This site has sections for TnT, Trip non-ship (Main Engineering), T'Pol and Vulcan themed non-ship (Library at P'Jem), General Ensemble/Other Cast Stories (The Bridge), and NC-17 (Decon Chamber). Notice the "non-ship" in there. I've always interpreted it to mean that not only do these stories lack TnT shippiness, but that shipping Trip or T'Pol with others is also off limits in these sections. The one exception I can think of is JustTripn's E2 series, and the story is more about Malcolm and T'Pol dealing with Trip's death than anything else. Since Trip's death is canon in that universe I didn't see it as breaking the rules.

It's just my opinion, but although I'm sure you'll do a great job with the story I don't think this will be the place for it. For example, there are a lot of really well-done Trip/Hoshi fics out there. There are also some well-written T'Pol/Archer, T'Pol/Hoshi, Trip/Malcolm, and Trip/Archer fics out there, too. I've never read any T'Pol/OC or Trip/OC stories that haven't struck me as being pretty awfully obvious Mary Sue/Gary Stu tales, but I suppose a decent story of that sort might be possible in the right hands. Whatever the pairing, though, we're not hosting any of them because this site is about TnT.

I'm not discouraging you from writing your story, and Elessar has the final say about posting it here, so once you get it written you might pass it by him. I'd really like to read your story. Post a link in the "New Fanfics Up" thread when you get it up on fanfiction.net and I'll be sure to read it.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:52 am

Thanx, Distracted. The whole idea is still forming and, while my post was writen in a somewhat lighthearted mood, I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't offend people. This being a TnT shipper site, the chances are pretty realistic that some will take offense. I've been ticked off by stories that have someone get in between Trip and T'Pol, myself.
I agree with you that ff.net is probably the better place for this :)

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:24 pm

I guess the only caveat would be that you could have a story with someone getting between them if the story is clearly eventually planning to get them together. (We have stories like that, don't we? I know Escriba had one running.) In other words, it's still ultimately a TnT story.

You'll get complaints on those, too, of course. Haven't seen death threats floating around here before, though. 8)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:51 pm

Well death might be extreme but "the cold shoulder" is alive and well. jT wrote a decon fic about Trip and former girlfriend Natalie. I guess if it's pre-expanse there is no law against it. But Ultimately it's up to the Boss not us.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:45 pm

Yeah, if the story is about Trip plus someone else in the context of an eventual Trip and T'Pol pairing, or another pairing as it relates to the "primary" Trip and T'Pol pairing, it would be fine. I can think of another excellent Trip and T'Pol story where Trip is married to Natalie and T'Pol to Archer! But the story is still about the special connection between Trip and T'Pol. Alelou might remember the name of that story.

I don't begrudge anyone the chance to write about topics other than Trip and T'Pol and there are other sites for that, but we do have to preserve our "brand." So the answer with regard to your story is no one will want to kill you! :) We might or might not be able to post the story here, depending on how your story would affect our identity as a Trip and T'Pol site.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:46 pm

Kotik, I guess if it is before Trip and T'Pol board the Enterprise and meet, fall in love, etc. Then I would go along with it.

I am not a fan of Slash of any kind and not a fan of anyone but Trip and T'Pol. But there are those who do read those stories and best of British luck to them. It is their right and privlage to do so.

What I am saying, write it and see if Ellesar will let you put it up. there is always FF Net to fall back on.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:05 pm

justTripn wrote:Yeah, if the story is about Trip plus someone else in the context of an eventual Trip and T'Pol pairing, or another pairing as it relates to the "primary" Trip and T'Pol pairing, it would be fine. I can think of another excellent Trip and T'Pol story where Trip is married to Natalie and T'Pol to Archer! But the story is still about the special connection between Trip and T'Pol. Alelou might remember the name of that story.

Alelou almost never remembers fanfic titles. However, I'm thinking it might be a long one by Samantha Quinn? If it's the one I'm thinking of I don't think I've ever seen anyone torture Archer so thoroughly in my life. (Not that anyone else in the story exactly has it easy.)

EDIT: Yeah, okay I went to look it up and I think it is hers: "Unfulfilled" at Trip T'Polers.
Image.Image

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:55 am

Alelou wrote:
justTripn wrote:Yeah, if the story is about Trip plus someone else in the context of an eventual Trip and T'Pol pairing, or another pairing as it relates to the "primary" Trip and T'Pol pairing, it would be fine. I can think of another excellent Trip and T'Pol story where Trip is married to Natalie and T'Pol to Archer! But the story is still about the special connection between Trip and T'Pol. Alelou might remember the name of that story.

Alelou almost never remembers fanfic titles. However, I'm thinking it might be a long one by Samantha Quinn? If it's the one I'm thinking of I don't think I've ever seen anyone torture Archer so thoroughly in my life. (Not that anyone else in the story exactly has it easy.)

EDIT: Yeah, okay I went to look it up and I think it is hers: "Unfulfilled" at Trip T'Polers.

Seriously, Samatha Quinn's stuff is so angst-ridden, you'll need a doctor. I remember once ignoring someone's advice not to read her stuff. I ended up drinking myself into a coma. It's so bad I couldn't take it.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:18 am

I assume you mean the level of angst is bad, not the writing itself.
Image.Image

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:16 am

Alelou wrote:I assume you mean the level of angst is bad, not the writing itself.

I second that - it is angsty but it's remarkably good stuff. There's a reason I had her as my beta for a year or so, she's got real talent! It's a shame she moved on to other fandoms...

And to answer your question Kotik, Distracted and others hit the nail on the head. I won't say categorically we won't post it, I'd have to see the story...

I was surprised nobody dragged out my example :lol:, Telluride, which ships T'Pol with "someone else", although it's pertinent to Trip and T'Pol and essentially leads them down that path. My reboot series also touches on that a little since it deals with Trip and Natalie before T'Pol came on the scene... or rather it was going to a little had I finished it...

IN other words, there are ways in which a Trip/other pairing can sort of lead into Trip/T'Pol... in general I guess I would say that if that is not your intent, if you're just sort of trying to stretch your legs as an author and play with another pairing for your own edification - I applaud you, that's certainly not damning, but this may not be the place for it. I won't dismiss it out-of-hand, though, so, when it's ready - shoot me a PM to remind me and then email it to elessar@triaxiansilk.com instead of the fanfiction email.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:34 am

Alelou wrote:I assume you mean the level of angst is bad, not the writing itself.

The writing itself is excellent, I suspect she might even be a professional writer, but the level of angst was way too much for me. I think it is a personal problem. I just can't cope with it. Your "Commander Tucker... does something" series is excellent, but one story was very angsty and I couldn't read it. Same goes for one of my all time favourites, Dinah's "Thorn and the Rose". I have to skip the first 6 or 7 chapters, because I'd end up a quivering pile of depression if I tried reading them again. The rest is just bloody brilliant, but I'm mentally umable to take the angst in the opening chapters. :? That's why I'm thankfull for the genre keywords. That makes it easier for me to steer clear of stories that would have a bad impact on me.

Dbear
Cadet
Cadet

Postby Dbear » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:59 pm

I have to admit the only real romance that does anything out Enterprise is T&T. Never really had any interest in seeing Trip or T’Pol involved with anyone else. And the other pairings on the most part really do not interest me. Although I have read some good Jon/Hoshi stories and Malcolm/Hoshi stories, but they do not grab my interest like T&T.

I also have to agree that I am not a big fan of the super angst stories; my taste is that angst should be delivered in small amounts, if used sparingly it is good method to drive the drama along. If it’s over done I find it hard to make it through the stories, although many of them are extremely well written and thought out.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:49 pm

I am with Kotik, I cannnot stand angst for any reason. Too often is seems, to me, simply put in for grattuitous (sp) reasons. Probalby wrong in that assement but there it is.

I also agree that the only paring that goes with the Enterprise Series which I guess is Canon will be Trip and T'Pol. she nver showed any interst in the other males in the series. The two episdoes where she and Archer has something were dream sequences of Archer. first in ANIS abd second it Twilight. The seconed was caused by Nanites in Archer's brain so it never happened. I am a devout TnT shipper.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”