What's in a name?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: What's in a name?

Postby justTripn » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:03 am

In one story I named one of Trip and T'Pol's kid's "Chuckie," a name which is only a little less awful than Charles. I can't remember why I did it. Oh, basically as cue or punchline: to indicate quickly he was Trip's kid. Parents, please do not name your kids anything as plain and boring as Ann (which is my name). I do like the name Tom.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:15 am

Ann sounds very calm and sensible, but I think Annie is a fun, yee-haw kind of nickname, so you can take that name and do what you want with it. Anna is nice too.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:20 am

Ann? Your name is at least classy, and more then six minutes old. And not YESTERday's news.

Please, everyone, do NOT call your children Jennifer. Or the 21st century equivalent thereof. (Like, the "TOP 10!" list of names? Just stay right away from that. Put it down. Walk away. Find ANY name that is not on the TOP 10 list, and y'know, you're probably good.)

I wonder how many millions of us Jennifers there are? My maiden name was wallace, and there are soooo many peeps named Jennifer Wallace that I have run into, that I created a Facebook group called "The People named Jennifer Wallace Support Group", and it's got a bunch of members! :lol: And we're alllll called Jennifer Wallace!

I wonder if the reason I'm so zany is because I have to live down this generic-ass name.

Also, probably, the drugs.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:33 pm

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I don't have a single Jennifer in any of my classes this semester. Not even a Jenna or a Jen. Maybe it's taking a little rest.

On the other hand, I have multiple Ashleys, Taylors, Brittanys, Dans and Isiahs.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:54 pm

Alelou wrote:Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I don't have a single Jennifer in any of my classes this semester. Not even a Jenna or a Jen. Maybe it's taking a little rest.

On the other hand, I have multiple Ashleys, Taylors, Brittanys, Dans and Isiahs.

Interesting, but there is usually a pattern for the occurrence of names? I remember when my kids were on elementary school, that there was a higher count for names from characters in popular soap operas (showing on the years they were born)...

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:04 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Alelou, in answer to your question. Tanja is supposedly a Russian name. In the U.S. it is spelled Tanya. Since my wife is German born she preferred the European spelling. Daughters name is Tanja Nicole (last name omitted) I preferred Nicole so had to settle for the middle name. I guess Tanja is ethnic. Probably slavic.

Tanja (or Tanya) is originally not even a name, but a nickname. It is the short form of the russian name Tatyana. In modern times it evolved as a name on it's own, so now there's both Tanya's and Tatyana's out there in the slavic world. In Russia there's quite a few of those pairs of names like:

Nadya/Nadezhda
Witya/Witaliy

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Enerdhil wrote:Interesting, but there is usually a pattern for the occurrence of names? I remember when my kids were on elementary school, that there was a higher count for names from characters in popular soap operas (showing on the years they were born)...

Based on that premise, I predict that 18 years from now the most popular names for entering female college freshmen in the US will be Snookie and Gaga. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

prisocisor

Postby prisocisor » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:24 pm

Based on that premise, I predict that 18 years from now the most popular names for entering female college freshmen in the US will be Snookie and Gaga.
...and Bella... Don't forget about Bella :lol: Of course they'll start college sooner than 18 years I'm afraid :roll:

The funny thing is, back in 2002-03, I really wanted to name our first daughter Isabella... And of course, we all know what that would've been shortened to... Luckily EK vetoed that one pretty fast (she didn't want an Izy or a Bella!) and a couple years later we had a beautiful Aureilia 8)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:55 pm

Well I'm one of those freaks that would give my daughter a name like Tatyana (at least I know how to spell that one right Kotik), Athena, Melody, or even Angelina... Not after the actress. I also love Abigail. Boys I'm slightly less crazy, Jason and Gabriel. Ok Gabriel is a little nuts. I also like Aaron...

I gotta give props to Ek and priso though, Aureilia is a very unique name but it isn't going to fade out or give the poor kid trouble on the playground.

My name has a very serious problem... It's spelled several different ways and mine is the least popular spelling there is. Which in addition is the problem with my last name. So every first day of school I was in the principle's office changing my name back into it's proper form. AND most of my friens and even my own father has spelled it wrong on occasion.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:02 pm

I was apty named. The Apostle Thomas was known as Thomas the Doubter. I certainly am a doubter.

I want to thank Kotik for clairifying the name Tanja.

BTW, Aidan means "Little Fire" in Celtic not Gaeilic
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Silverbullet wrote:I was apty named. The Apostle Thomas was known as Thomas the Doubter.
A lot of people think the name Thomas means doubt, but it means "twin". He problalby had a twin brother. My family last name means "fool" in Japanese. We changed it, so nobody would have to say in a polite manner without trying to laugh: mr. Fool... mrs. Fool...
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:09 pm

Panyasan, I know it means twin. I was just referring to the Apostle Thomas the Doubter. Remember he had to put his finger in the hole on the side of Jesus before he would belive he had been dead and had risen.

My family name is unpronouceable in the Celtic. so it was anglesized. In the Celtic it meant Champion. How whoever did it came up with what I have now when it was Angelesized I don't know. Sure doesn't mean Champion.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Funny thing about my real name (which I'm not about to tell) is that while not strange in any way, it wasn't common when and where I grew up. However, once I moved to university I got to know quite a lot of people with the same name. But maybe I travelled in odd circles... :?

Snookie, who's Snookie? Gaga and Bella I do recognize where they're from, but Snookie? :wtf:

And I wonder if there will be any Trip and T'Pol's entering college in 18 years... :lol:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:20 pm

"Snookie" is from the human meltdown known as the Jersey Shore, a show that makes me doubt the coming generations will have any noble traits of humanity at all.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:26 pm

* googles "Jersey Shore" *

Ah, we have those kinds of shows over here too (but with Swedes), and possibly even this one. :upchuck:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”