The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

What's in a name?

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:20 pm

I have always favored Charles Armstrong Tucker for Trips whole name. Others Charles Anthony Tucker.

I have nicknamed Charles the forth as Chip. Blue tiger has his name as Morgan.

I want to nickname their daughter T'MIR. I want her name to be T'MIR T'POL TUCKER. I want to nickaname her "Misty" Why? Because Trip starts out calling her "Miss 'T'" and that becomes Misty.

What other names do writers have for our couple and their children (NIcknames included?)
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Re: What's in a name?

Postby Alelou » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Just rudely offering my own comment that Misty always sounds to me like either a horse or a heroine in a really cheesy romance novel. But Miss T I'm okay with. :)

Where did Charles Anthony Tucker come from? Have we just heard it so often we think it's canon, or is it canon?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:12 pm

Charles Anthony came from the books. Misty is my favorite horse movie. And I chose David for Trip's middle name. Because I have a friend named David Charles.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:03 pm

I have always liked Misty as a girls name. It has a certain ring to it. Never heard of a horse named Misty. Not saying there isn't such a Horse just that I have never heard of it.

Mind, I have heard of Horses named Buttermilk and Buttercup.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:08 pm

OMG you've never heard of Misty of Chincoteague. It's a book, and a movie, and better than My Friend Flika! :shock: Too bad.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:19 pm

WG, the things I have never heard of would fill a Library.

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:59 am

Silverbullet wrote:What other names do writers have for our couple and their children (NIcknames included?)

I usually assume that in more developed societies (as I expect both from Vulcan and Earth in XXII century) couples will be more linked because of their feelings one to the other, rather than due to formal marriage/civil registration, ... "Marriage" ceremonies would be realized for cultural/heritage aspects, not to formalize the bond. So, for me both our favorite partners would simply maintain their own family names (no T'Pol Tucker or Trip 'something in Vulcan').

As for children, I also assume more developed societies to have more knowledge about birth control in order to maintain a sustainable environment. So, that leads to one children per couple (apart from twins...).

I assume they would have only one child, she would be named T'Liz .

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Wouldn't having one child per couple necessarily lead to a shrinking population? Assuming they've wiped out hunger, war, etc., there's no particular need to restrict themselves to one child. Indeed, depending on who's paying for all that, they probably need a steady population.
Image.Image

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:52 pm

I love the name Misty for their little girl, and don't forget your name "Chip" for the boy. That was a stroke of brilliance: Charles/Trip/a Chip off the old Block.

"Misty" for a girl is like my name "Ocean" for their girl. I love it. And to those who say that these are wild hippie names and that Trip and T'Pol are way too traditional for that, Dude, they named their son, "Lorian" after a forest in Lord of the Rings.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 pm

I think that they would replace themselves. A couple would have two children. That way a steady population could be achieved. Since there obviously would be some kind of Social Security having lots of children to assure an old age would not be needed.

I wonder ho wmany people hate the name given them by their parents? My Daughter does not like her name "Tanaja" we gave it to her becasue my wife loves the name and I wanted a name that people could not make a dimunitive of. (Her initials are TNT) but in her high school she was called TJ. First letter of ech Sylable (sp) her guy calls her Tan. Can't win for losing. I hate my name as I could never get my family to stop calling me "Tommy"

Ocean may sound a bit odd but it is a nice name.

T'Liz?

SB

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:43 pm

How do you pronounce Tanaja? Does it come from an ethnic tradition or is it a made-up name?

I remain kind of stunned that to this day my son goes by Alejandro -- it's not an easy name for teachers, though his classmates seem okay with it. Except for some strange flirtations with "Biff" and "Jalapeno" he has never adopted a nickname. I sometimes wonder if this was because there was already an AJ in his preschool. We even have Puerto Rican family members who try to call him Alex, and he'll have none of it.

My dad, meanwhile, is Alexander and gets called anything but -- Sandy by his family, Hutch by his friends and my mom, and Al professionally because it was what fit on the column slug at the Tampa Tribune.

We know that Trip has talked about having a Charles Tucker IV, so I would expect him to, if they had a boy. He seems pretty traditional in that regard, and I'd expect T'Pol to respect that. The wrinkle would be if they settled on Vulcan (which frankly I find a little hard to believe. Trip hates deserts and T'Pol is way more assimilated to Human culture than the other way round. But many ff writers make it work.)
Image.Image

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:57 pm

I am not sure about Charles Tucker IV. Someone might want to call him Quad, LOL. I think Misty sounds a bit simpy, myself and yes WarpGirl, I loved that book as a child. I may still have it in one of my storage boxes! But I don't read a story based on whether or not I like the characters' names. So whatever names the author likes are okay with me.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:36 pm

Well, how many people would automatically think of Trip when they hear Charles Tucker III? I sure wouldn't. It seems like more one of those Sarah-Palin-named-you type names. (Isn't Bristol's baby Trip? I know Sarah Palin's youngest is Trig.)

I really like SB's Chip as a nickname, actually. Charlie's fine, too. If your father's Trip, you can go ahead and reclaim the original name.

Can't say I like the nickname Chuck, but I had a pal named Chuck in grad school so I got used to it. (Still, the word always makes me think of throwing something, or, worse, upchuck.) And yet I think that might be better than Charles, but that's because I always associate that name with Prince Charles (and not in a good way :raspberry: ).
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:46 pm

Well I'm not sure Trip would name a boy after himself. Not that I think either of them would object to it. But I don't think it's something they'd care too much about. I take poker terms for the Charles Tucker's though. Ace for grandpa, (for the 1) duce for Charles Jr. (for the 2) and "Trips" (3 of a kind) for our hero. A Charles the 4th would be a "set" or a "run."

Fics

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Alelou wrote:Well, how many people would automatically think of Trip when they hear Charles Tucker III? I sure wouldn't.

I went to high school - in Florida - with a guy we called Trip because he was III. One of my cousins - in Missouri - is married to a Trip (He's III, and dad is Junior.) So while it isn't totally common, it's also not uncommon.
It seems like more one of those Sarah-Palin-named-you type names. (Isn't Bristol's baby Trip? I know Sarah Palin's youngest is Trig.)

Is the political remark even necessary in this context? Especially with the less than positive undertone of the question?

I go with the Anthony as a middle name, have a few ideas about children names, but haven't put anything down on paper.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”