The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian
Show On Map: No

Re: A little love makin’ never hurt anybody, Human or Vulcan

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:16 pm

Oopsy! Fergot! Thanks for the reminder! ;)
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

starwatcher
The Boss's Lady

Postby starwatcher » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:57 am

Elessar wrote: I hate to say this but I think some part of the failure of Enterprise to live up to the standards of viewership was bad casting for some of the minor parts. Travis and Hoshi were the only other bridge crew and they were atrociously awful actors. Hoshi was ok, she just needed better writing. Malcolm suffered the same problem - he was written so stereotypically british it was painful for ME to watch, I don't even want to imagine what Brits thought of him.

As a Brit I can only agree with Elessar when it comes to Malcolm - it wasn't that he was written badly, it just seemed to me that the writers had crossed James Bond (pre Daniel, 'if I can't go around the wall I'll just go THROUGH it) Craig) with Hugh Grant from Four Weddings and a Funeral. I would have much preferred to have seen someone a la Kevin McKidd or Sean Pertwee cast as Malcolm, someone who looks and sounds badass (another FYI: not all Brits sound like Hugh Grant). Not that Dominic Keating did a bad job at all, and he was fairly yummy to look at, but ..... Well, that's just my opinion. And I kinda get that they wanted to go for this 'Naval Dynasty/Royal Navy equivalent of an Army Brat family (I think that there is a thread that touches on this in the Malcolm section of this forum) but my point is that they could have done that without having him speak like Queen Liz!!!!

Ulva
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ulva » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:13 pm

These days you need to think carefully before you put up anything on telly because people won't sit down every night in front of it to watch what ever comes around. You also need to realise that having a huge hit is getting increasingly difficult. It is entirely possible to do well with a sci fi series, but ST had been on the air for quite some time when ENT came along and to be honest, it didn't quite seem like there was much of a plan with it (and then fatigue does play a part in why it lost viewers). Had they had a really good vision and goal for the series I think more people would have stayed. You can't just make something to keep ST on the air because you'll lose average Joe as a viewer, as well as many fans. Of course you can't please everyone (anyone who has been around on forums a while knows just how critical people can be when they think someone's messing with "their" show), but you can't just rely on a name, hoping it will bring in the crowds.

I personally think Anthony Montgomery usually is getting a lot of undeserved critique. Travis was little more than a glorified driver in the series, but anyone who has met him IRL can't help but wonder what could have been if they had worked more with the actor. At least I did. Linda Park is a nice enough person, but you don't get the same feeling of "wonder what she could have done with the character if things had been different" as with Anthony.

And then there's Archer... Oh don't get me started on that.

Summing up, there were moments all along the journey we got that were good (even with Reed good people! remember that scene in E2 when he talks about how he remained a bachelor? that was great insight in to a very lonely Reed who wished things to be different) and I remember them fondly, but I also realise why people left. I myself kept wondering why I was watching (during S2 I was driven up the wall several times) but I felt I was rewarded during S3 and 4. However, the common viewer won't look back once they've decided to go elsewhere, and ultimately that was what killed ENT. The overall story wasn't good enough to keep the common viewer around and you can't expect them to come back.
Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right. - Isaac Asimov

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”