Abandoned stories

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Re: Abandoned stories

Postby crystalswolf » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Most times I don't cast until mid-way or afterward. Then I try to find the actor/actress that comes closest to what I had in mind. Some I had found quickly and some I'm still searching for one.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:55 pm

And the score is three to three. Others???
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:28 pm

No casting. They're entirely made up, including their appearance. Occasionally I'll look for an actor/actress who looks like the picture I have in my head and cast the character, but it's always after the fact.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:12 pm

I don't cast for my OCs at all. I really don't see films much and have given up completely on watching TV. I think I just take my OC personalities from RL, mixing traits of different people, half the time not even remembering what specific people. I will have a certain character trait and a fuzzy physical description and a story idea that excites me. I never go back latter and think "hey that actor resembles my character", though I may see some one on the street and say to myself "that could be so-and-so, my character in one of my fics".
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:43 am

Speaking of casting. Rigil Kent has a cast for the OC's in his Endeavour series. I think it is a great feature as it allows one to put a face to them. I like Hillary Swank as Anna Hess :mrgreen:

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:09 pm

A friend of mine has been writing TnT-stories since the days of House of Tucker (and being very good in it ;-) ) and he knows a lot about where some ideas in TnT fandom came from. With his permission I could share his knowlegde (as he says based on his own memory which is also fallible). I found it very interesting and made me want to back to HOT to read those awesome classics. :D

-The name "Anna Hess" was more or less a group idea that a group of writers hashed out on the old House Of Tucker board several years ago. There was never a canon first name given for her. Several stories were being written with her as a character. The group chewed on some ideas and finally decided by concensus that Anna was as good a name as any.

-The idea of T'Pol being Vulcan royalty originated withthe "Little Lizzie" series on House of Tucker written by TLR.

- Blackn'blue was the first on the House of Tucker to include crappy Vulcan night vision in one of his stories. According to Blackn'blue it is obvious from an evolutionary point of view. The Vulcan sun is much brighter than Sol. In fanon (and probably in canon) Vulcan has a sister planet that looks huge in their night sky. And a desert planet would hardly have cloudy nights. So they wouldnever have an evolutionary need for good night vision.

-Rigil was the first to come up with the idea of promoting Archer to admiral and putting Trip in as captain of a warship when the Romulan war came. Some had him as captain of Enterprise instead of Endeavor, but the concept fo Trip becoming captain of a battleship is, was Rigil's idea.

-The idea that chocolate is an addictive drug to Vulcans, and is contraband to them, originated with Linda. (Poor Vulcans! :vulcan: )

- Blackn'blue invented T'Pol's family name, as well as the other clan names he used. He came up with the idea of those ludicrously long Vulcan clan names because he wanted something that a Human would find *almost* impossible to pronounce. This is based on the TOS episode when Kirk asks Amanda if she could pronounce her family name and she says, "After a fashion, and after many years of practice."? So it had to be something a Human could pronounce, but with great difficulty. Blackn'blue threw together the nastiest looking pile of throat tearing syllables he could think of.

-Much of the fanon regarding the Vulcan bond was collective agreement over the years, so hardly no one can claim the idea.

-The idea that Vulcans can close their nostrils like a camel was Distracted's idea.

-The principle that Vulcan/Human hybrid babies make poop that stinks badly enough to knock you off your feet came from an unfinished story on HoT. (I remember at least one story that had this element, it was very amusing. :lol: )

-The idea of requiring a Human to go through Kahs-Wahn in order to qualify for Vulcan citizenship was first menitoned in a story of Kevin. He originally had his Trip do it, but in his story it wasn't a requirement, just something he did. The idea is fairly old in fanon.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:27 pm

Well At least now I know to thank TLR. Thanks for the info...
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:57 pm

panyasan wrote:-The idea that chocolate is an addictive drug to Vulcans, and is contraband to them, originated with Linda. (Poor Vulcans! :vulcan: )

No offense meant to Linda, but I could have sworn that was in a cut scene somewhere along the lines in one of the series. I could just be making that up, but I swear I heard about it long before I started reading/writing ST fanfiction...

But, then again, I'm hopped up on cold medicine, so I could be delusional.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:12 am

The idea that Vulcans can close their nostrils like a camel was Distracted's idea.
Ummm... you have any idea if that came from a story I wrote or just a board discussion? I'm afraid that I don't remember it. Of course, it's still possible that I came up with the idea. I'm sort of senile these days. :?

Even if I didn't come up with it, it's a cool idea. Makes scads of sense in a desert environment. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:18 am

Distracted wrote:
The idea that Vulcans can close their nostrils like a camel was Distracted's idea.
Ummm... you have any idea if that came from a story I wrote or just a board discussion? I'm afraid that I don't remember it. Of course, it's still possible that I came up with the idea. I'm sort of senile these days. :?

Even if I didn't come up with it, it's a cool idea. Makes scads of sense in a desert environment. 8)

LOL, just trying to imagine T'Pol as a camel. Well, there's the two humps, no argument 'bout that :lol: :lol:

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:23 am

Hmmm. Mammary tissue that acts like a camel's hump. It might explain why every Vulcan female we've seen is so well endowed. But by that logic the men ought to have breasts, too. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:36 am

I too think that the idea of chocolate making Vulcans get high was something I picked up from somewhere in canon, but I can't remember from where. But one thing that I did start that a few other fanfic writers picked up on was Kuvak being Kov's father.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm told by one who has read everything Star Trek that the chocolate idea showed up he believes in a Star Trek novel but it's not considered canon. A while back I ran across something saying Quark offered chocolate to a Vulcan in DS9 and implying that there was something sexual involved like only Quark could but it was a quick scene.

Don't cocoa beans contain cooper? With their green blood it might be more in line that it's a good thing for them to eat.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:18 pm

I remember some TOS novel in which Spock was marooned or something in some time traveling crossover with Seven Wives for Seven Brothers or The Brides (or something like that -- my memory is obviously pretty vague). It had him sitting at the table thinking "Don't they realize that sugar is poison?" But I don't know whether the author was trying to suggest sugar was literally poisonous to Vulcans, or just plain bad for people generally. It didn't turn out to be a key plot point in any case. Or maybe it did, because I'm damned if I can remember any of the key plot points from that novel. That strange sugar thought is actually the only thing I am sure I remember correctly.

Maybe there was something else about the women washing their hair. Or maybe that was from the TV show, which I think I must have watched as a very, very little girl.

Sigh.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:30 pm

In Breaking the Ice, T'Pol remarked that Pecan Pie was mostly Sugar and at the end she had a slice of it in her quarters staring at it at fade out. So, did she eat the slice of Pecan Pie? I cannot remember if she ate any in later episodes or not but obviously the writers of the series didn't have Vulcans obecting to Sugar as poison.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”