Abandoned stories

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Abandoned stories

Postby Kotik » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:16 pm

As I've complained in the whine thread, I'm having a gin-new-whine cr*p year (tm). Ending up laid up at home after that weird food poisoning and almost immediately again, because a careless truck driver punted me and my little Pug (that I only bought 3 months ago and liked a bunch :cry:) into the armco at 60 mph on the motorway on my second day back at work, I almost lost it and was completely down. Three or four years ago, that would have prompted a week of extreme depression-induced binge drinking (think 12-16 pints of strong beer or 1 to 1,5 bottles of vodka a day). Thankfully I've got a way better therapy by now. I'm harvesting HoT, TriS or ff.net for my favorite stories or read Frank Downey DoaL and cry a lot over the sappy romantic pieces. (Hint: If you're diabetic, don't go anywhere near Frank Downey's work. That's how sweet they are :lol: )

Then I realized, that some of my favorite pieces, especially at HoT, are incomplete, like Zane Grays Objects in motion, which sadly never came into being or Quills' Enemy of the state. Other well developed storylines and universes that often span several stories could be even more fantastic, if they would be completed by sequels, prequels or stories in between. Others could use a through beta-ing (because they probably weren't beta'ed), like some of the terrific works of TLR or Quills' Genesis, which both suffer a bid (pun intended) from wording and grammar mistakes, but are otherwise absolutely brilliant pieces of work. That's why I wondered if

a) there would be general interest in
b) it would be realistically possible to

try to locate and contact the original authors and try to get their permission to extend, complete or supplement their work by another author. I remember that there is at least one story here on TriS, where this has been done successfully (I think it was a piece by TheCursor). I think that would get us some very fantastic additions to TriS.

A last off-topic note to the mastermind behind the TriS software. I know a programmer with almost 15 years of professional experience, who happens to be involontarily idling away at home far too often and happens to have a lot of ideas for improvements to the archive. If any help is welcome, I could establish a contact. His name is something like Kotik or so ;)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Abandoned stories

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:47 pm

OMG your poor dog, poor you! :cry: Oh my dear how do we get you feeling better. Even though I'm not in good shape myself, I want you to do better.

OK about the stories... I miss Zane too, but I'm not sure they'll be coming back. I suppose the Boss might be able to get in touch maybe. As for the progamming The Boss pays for it all, and he has his team. If you wanna join up, PM the Boss. He's very sweet.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:30 pm

I thought the Cursor came back briefly and posted some new work, rather than anyone else taking over. Or perhaps I'm not remembering that correctly.

I doubt too many writers would welcome someone else finishing or extending their original fanfic story. I know I wouldn't, unless it was someone I truly felt was a kindred spirit on a level that, frankly, I've never encountered.

Of course, technically, who's gonna stop you? Especially if they didn't come up with original characters? We're all infringing copyright here to begin with. You could simply credit where you got the inspiration and get going.

Probably safer to ask permission, though. I know I said okay to your Missing Scenes Season Two because as far as I'm concerned I don't hold any particular right to that genre. Having said that, I still found it at some gut level kind of annoying to have someone else pop in there ahead of me. (I know in my head that this was ridiculous, but so it was. My own reaction surprised me, frankly.)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm

There is a HUGE difference between doing a genre (Missing Scenes), or going off a fanon idea (T'Pol being Vulcan royalty) and taking over somebody's story... My advice don't do it, it's not nice. Sure it's rotten that some great stories don't get finished. But if somebody else finishes them, then it's not the story you loved to begin with.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

BloodDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Postby BloodDragon » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:50 pm

It's a matter of fact, though, that it's very annoying - or maybe it would be better to say sad - being unable to see the way many stories (and many of them very nice) reach their conclusion.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:53 pm

Alelou wrote:I doubt too many writers would welcome someone else finishing or extending their original fanfic story. I know I wouldn't, unless it was someone I truly felt was a kindred spirit on a level that, frankly, I've never encountered.

Which is why I included the part about contacting and asking them. I read in the forum somewhere that Zane Gray axed Objects in Motion, because she just couldn't invest the time anymore, even though she had a rough outline of the intended story. In my imagination, if that happened to me, I'd actually be happy if someone would pick it up to develop it and with you, Dinah, JustTripn I'd be able to name 3 authors without even thinking, which I'd trust to make something good out of it and if I spent more than 2 seconds thinking about it, I'd probably find at least 3 more authors.
And there's also the option of the original author still keeping some sort of say in it. I can imagine not all people would be comfortable of having someone else interferring with their writing, other may be comfortable with it. I for instance rely heavily on the input of aadarshinah and WarpGirl with my writing and me being a non-native speaker is not the only reason. Their input goes way past beta-reading. Especially aadarshinah has often pointed me to passages where my fantasy took a wrong turn or where I went out-of-character.

Alelou wrote:Of course, technically, who's gonna stop you? Especially if they didn't come up with original characters? We're all infringing copyright here to begin with. You could simply credit where you got the inspiration and get going.

Probably safer to ask permission, though. I know I said okay to your Missing Scenes Season Two because as far as I'm concerned I don't hold any particular right to that genre. Having said that, I still found it at some gut level kind of annoying to have someone else pop in there ahead of me. (I know in my head that this was ridiculous, but so it was. My own reaction surprised me, frankly.)

Which is why I asked you back then. I'm not comfortable taking direct clues from someones work without at least a someone expressed or implied consent. Although you had no 'legal claim' on the idea of missing scenes, you still came up with the concept, which is why I wanted your ok, even though at the time you said that a season 2 was unlikely. When you did your season 2, I actually became somewhat reluctant to continue mine and it looks unlikely that I will, because you set a standard that I cannot realistically live up to. I'm really sorry if my attempt at it made you feel bad, but I take consolation in the fact that you've completed yours and they turned out better than mine would have ever been.

As for the original question. I still hope that maybe one of the original authors - some great ones like Zane Gray, HopefulRomantic, Quill don't seem to be around anymore - would give their ok. Especially the several unfinished Captain Soma adventures sadden me, since they are absolutely fantastic and we have some authors around, who can live up to the standard set by the original author. (btw. I don't count myself part of that group)

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:58 pm

Double post, but WG's and blooddragon's replies came while composing the reply to Alelou:

I'm not taking about a 'hostile' takeover - on the contrary. The whole idea about it is to try to contact Quill for instance and asking wethere he (she?) would consent to one of our resident authors (or a group of them) finishing 'Enemy of the State'. Of course offering the right to have the last say on the story-line if the original author wishes. As I explained before, some stories are just too good to be left unfinished, but that such thing cannot be done without the original authors consent is a no-brainer.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:04 pm

Kotik wrote:And there's also the option of the original author still keeping some sort of say in it. I can imagine not all people would be comfortable of having someone else interferring with their writing, other may be comfortable with it. I for instance rely heavily on the input of aadarshinah and WarpGirl with my writing and me being a non-native speaker is not the only reason. Their input goes way past beta-reading. Especially aadarshinah has often pointed me to passages where my fantasy took a wrong turn or where I went out-of-character.

Awwwwwww you're too sweet. Although I think I've been more of the bane of your writing existence.

Kotik wrote:Which is why I asked you back then. I'm not comfortable taking direct clues from someones work without at least a someone expressed or implied consent. Although you had no 'legal claim' on the idea of missing scenes, you still came up with the concept, which is why I wanted your ok, even though at the time you said that a season 2 was unlikely.

I think it's more accurate to say that Alelou perfected Missing Scenes. People have been doing them for individual episodes from the beginning. Alelou just started doing entire seasons... There is a difference. Besides, every fandom does it.

Fics

BloodDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Postby BloodDragon » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:05 pm

In all honesty, Puccini left Turandot unfinished. It was concluded by Alfano; and, with all respect for this one, it wasn't the same thing.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:18 pm

BloodDragon wrote:In all honesty, Puccini left Turandot unfinished. It was concluded by Alfano; and, with all respect for this one, it wasn't the same thing.

That's always a chance. I did not think of it as a garanteed success, but you can fail if you try, but you WILL fail if you don't.

Come to think of it. There's one other thing that I'm missing slightly. On HoT I saw at least two stories that were written by more than one author (as a team). We do something like that with Slopes Of Andoria, but the chapters are written in sequential order by single authors. I consider it a success and an overall nice story, but the read is a unique experience, as every chapter has a unique feel and speed (pretty much like the episode based concept of the TV series). A true team effort usually is consistent in speed and atmosphere. Imagine a story where Rigil Kent does the action sequences, Alelou mixes in some angsty bits and bluetiger does the romance (I hope I got each one's strengths right). Such a story could still fall flat, but I'd hazard a guess that it more likely would turn out biblically good :mrgreen:

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:28 pm

TheCursor gave Peter Simons permission to finish one of his stories, and Peter went on for another like 10 chapters and in the end, he also left it hanging. Peter has a story that several people have volunteered to finish, but I did not relay those messages because I really think it would be a bad idea in that particular case. Authors have particular endings in mind even when they leave a story hang. And they have a certain style and reputation. Even if an author doesn't finish a story, there will certainly be hard feelings when a story takes a turn other than the one the author had in mind to write.

I'm going to say, it would be a REALLY bad idea to finish someone's else's story and I would strongly caution against it. Once, with permission, I crossed into someone's else's story, but not in a way that will affect future stories that person may want to write. Once Alelou told me I could write an alternative ending of "The Locum"!!! :D But I think she was joking.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:29 pm

all I can say is, try to reach the original authors. Try very hard. If at last you fail, then you can take them over without issue. Just be sure to mention (in loud, bold letters) what you're doing, so everyone is on the same page.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Imagine a story where Rigil Kent does the action sequences, Alelou mixes in some angsty bits and bluetiger does the romance (I hope I got each one's strengths right). Such a story could still fall flat, but I'd hazard a guess that it more likely would turn out biblically good :mrgreen:

You are not the first one to have said that. The Dream Team!

I'm going to have to disagree with aadarshinah and say, if you can't reach the authors, please do not attempt to finish their stories, unless this is just for yourself and you never post it online.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:53 pm

justTripn wrote:TheCursor gave Peter Simons permission to finish one of his stories, and Peter went on for another like 10 chapters and in the end, he also left it hanging. Peter has a story that several people have volunteered to finish, but I did not relay those messages because I really think it would be a bad idea in that particular case. Authors have particular endings in mind even when they leave a story hang. And they have a certain style and reputation. Even if an author doesn't finish a story, there will certainly be hard feelings when a story takes a turn other than the one the author had in mind to write.

I'm going to say, it would be a REALLY bad idea to finish someone's else's story and I would strongly caution against it. Once, with permission, I crossed into someone's else's story, but not in a way that will affect future stories that person may want to write. Once Alelou told me I could write an alternative ending of "The Locum"!!! :D But I think she was joking.

Objection your honor ;) I understand where you're coming from, but it is still possible for the original author to say 'yes, you may, but I'd like you to keep the following story points... or the following ending..." Not perfect for the 'new author' but at least that particular ending would come to existence and an otherwise great story would gain a good conclusion.
As I say, it's just an idea of mine and debate was what I wanted to start :)

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:54 pm

justTripn wrote:I'm going to have to disagree with aadarshinah and say, if you can't read the authors, please do not attempt to finish their stories, unless this is just for yourself and you never post it online.

In that one we agree. Without expressed consent from the original author, it's a no-go.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”